0 calorie noodles?

Options
Leiki
Leiki Posts: 526 Member
I was just at the supermarket and saw yam noodles. Each variety is from 0-4 calories for a 3 ounce serving. Has anyone tried these? Are they any good, and are they as filling as regular noodles? Also, if you have recipes using these noodles, I would love to see them.

Replies

• DEIDRE1112
    Options
    i've been looking for these in my store and haven't found them. What store did you find them in? Are they in a certain section? what is the name?

Dr Oz talked about them and how low they are in calories compared to any other type of pasta.

I think you can put anything on them that you would put on pasta...
  • FreshStart89
    FreshStart89 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I found them at the Asian market in the refrigerated noodle sections (next to tofu and won ton skins). They literally say yam noodle on it (below some Chinese characters, usually)
  • Caffeine_Addict
    Caffeine_Addict Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    yam noodles sounds awesome. where did u see them?
  • OMGLeigh
    OMGLeigh Posts: 236
    Options
    They are chewy but I still think they are good.
    Warning: they smell horrible. You will need to rinse them, dry them in a pan, and then possibly boil them for a moment.
  • DEIDRE1112
    Options
    I found them at the Asian market in the refrigerated noodle sections (next to tofu and won ton skins). They literally say yam noodle on it (below some Chinese characters, usually)

Thanks! I looked at the Asian Market near my house but not in the refrigerated section...will look again
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    For some reason I feel like I found some rice noodles like this at Kroger or HEB and I just mixed them up with some soy sauce.

The ones I had weren't refrigerated, They were just in the Asian aisle with the rice noodles and vermicelli.
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    Wow. I thought yams were starchy. Are yams this low in calories too?
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I make a home made pho with them. I've read that they aren't very good with Italian dishes. But the pho I make with them is AMAZING. I just use low sodium chicken broth, some chicken, onions, green onions, some parsley, and any other condiments I'd like. Be sure you rinse them very well. They have a very odd texture but they are insanely filling and once you get used to them they are GREAT!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    if they are anything like the shiritake (sp) noodles, no thanks. They were like rubber and smelled like fish. I rinsed them thouroughly and still tasted nasty.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options

Thanks! I looked at the Asian Market near my house but not in the refrigerated section...will look again

I've also found them in many large grocery stores near the tofu. If they don't say Yam they will certainly say Shirataki.
    These are the ones I find most often in stores, http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/shirataki.jpg
    If you think these are going to taste like sweet potato then you are going to be in for a surprise.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    i think i'll stick to spaghetti squash.... 1 cup = about 45 calories
  • JSMSDSAS05
    JSMSDSAS05 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    if they are anything like the shiritake (sp) noodles, no thanks. They were like rubber and smelled like fish. I rinsed them thouroughly and still tasted nasty.

I'm with him! ^ Everyone was raving about these tofu shiritake noodles so I tried them.......no thank you!
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

I've also found them in many large grocery stores near the tofu. If they don't say Yam they will certainly say Shirataki.
    These are the ones I find most often in stores, http://www.shiratakinoodles.net/shirataki.jpg
    If you think these are going to taste like sweet potato then you are going to be in for a surprise.

maybe it's like rice noodles.. they are made from mung beans
    maybe the yam noodles are made from something else as well?
  • JSMSDSAS05
    Options

Sorry if this is sa dumb question but what is spaghetti squash? :wink: Is it pretty much self explanatory?? And what do you do with it? Eat it by itself or make sumthing with it? Thanks
  • OMGLeigh
    Options

maybe it's like rice noodles.. they are made from mung beans
    maybe the yam noodles are made from something else as well?
    They are all likely made from Konjac, also called the elephant yam.
  • OMGLeigh
    Options

Sorry if this is sa dumb question but what is spaghetti squash? :wink: Is it pretty much self explanatory?? And what do you do with it? Eat it by itself or make sumthing with it? Thanks

An amazing squash where the fibers inside are long like spaghetti. You can cut it in half and roast or microwave it, then take a fork and break up the strands. It is tasty with salt and pepper, but you could use it with marinara if you wanted to.
  • VeganPanda
    VeganPanda Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    These noodles = rubber. Not worth it, I'd rather have the real thing.
  • heaven6
    Options
    Anytime I get in the mood for food w/ noodles for stir fry I substitue broccoli slaw or cabbage as the noodles. I really like the spinach pasta but it is hard to find in my area. I would definitely try yam noodles though.
  • JSMSDSAS05
    Options

An amazing squash where the fibers inside are long like spaghetti. You can cut it in half and roast or microwave it, then take a fork and break up the strands. It is tasty with salt and pepper, but you could use it with marinara if you wanted to.

oh okay....another dumb question......is spaghetti squash the same thing as squash? or r they 2 diff things?