Feeling so discouraged :(

Options
I've changed my eating habits, watched my calories, exercised every day (30DS) and Zumba every 2-3 days. It's been 20 days and I don't see any difference. Not in the scale and especially in pictures. I had my DH do side by side pictures for before and afters. So far, I don't see a change :(
Majorly bummed.

p.s. I've increased my water intake since I hear that helps too. But I feel like all it's done is "distend" my belly:( anyone experience this?!?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    20 days is not a whole lot in the scope of things. Think of the years it took for you to get where you are today. Change doesn't come overnight. Don't get discouraged, but don't expect miracles just because you are making better choices. You are improving your health one day at a time; stick with it and you will eventually see results.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've changed my eating habits, watched my calories, exercised every day (30DS) and Zumba every 2-3 days. It's been 20 days and I don't see any difference. Not in the scale and especially in pictures. I had my DH do side by side pictures for before and afters. So far, I don't see a change :(
    Majorly bummed.

p.s. I've increased my water intake since I hear that helps too. But I feel like all it's done is "distend" my belly:( anyone experience this?!?
    I don't know what you're expecting. You have made a change of 20 days. That's not going to roll back years of whatever. Look at it from the a standpoint of a paper towel. You pull one sheet off, the roll is still huge and you see no progress. If you constantly take sheets off, the roll gets smaller.

The same applies to your body. Keep taking "sheets" off and you will see a difference. The difference comes from the inside out anyway. You should be FEELING better first, then looking better second.
  • Timarling
    Options
    I like the paper towel analogy! Totally stealing that. Towards the original poster - don't let it get you down. You're not in this for vanity, or some sort of quick fix. You're in this for the rest of your life. No one who works out regularly and eats clean as a lifestyle change comes out at the end with zero results.
  • co_mama
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I was hoping for a start to some physical change after seeing all the pictures of everyone's half way mark with the program.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so people can see and help.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    You haven't given us a lot of information to go by but 20 days isn't a very long time to be able to tell whether what you're doing will work or not.

Here are some things you should look out for as a general rule though:

Are you measuring everything accurately (using scales etc), sometimes when we eyeball stuff we tend to be a little more generous

Exercise calories can be exaggerated, and you may be overestimating the calories burned.
  • dreambodin2011
    dreambodin2011 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    reality sets in - Ahhh, this is going to take TIME ! People just go along thinking WHEN I want to lose weight, it will JUST DROP OFF cos I will eat well and exercise...and they believe it won't take very long. I know cos I also felt this way.

Then, week after week of going to the gym every day (working out like never before) and eating extremely well and conciously, I realised, that this thing may just take a little longer than I suspected.

20 days is NOTHING! Keep at it - it WILL happen if you PERSIST. You can do it. Good luck.
  • peaceinside
    Options
    I don't know what you're expecting. You have made a change of 20 days. That's not going to roll back years of whatever. Look at it from the a standpoint of a paper towel. You pull one sheet off, the roll is still huge and you see no progress. If you constantly take sheets off, the roll gets smaller.

The same applies to your body. Keep taking "sheets" off and you will see a difference. The difference comes from the inside out anyway. You should be FEELING better first, then looking better second.
    [/quote]

Love this analogy!!!!
    Peace!:flowerforyou:
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    I've gotta say that age makes a difference too. I'm 37 and I'm in the same boat as you really. When I was in my 20's, all I had to do to lose weight was skip dessert and eat a few salads... in a week or so, my jeans fit again. Now, though, it's taking a lot longer and I know the discouraged feeling, but I keep at it. I'd suggest getting a heart rate monitor so you can get a better picture of the calories you're burning. THe calculator on here WAY over-estimates my calories. Someone else posted re: measuring your food, and that's a good idea too. Keep at it... change will come in time!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    To be fair, when I was in my 20's I was never 20 lbs overweight either.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, other than the food journal & resources, the MOST important thing about this site is the support & motivation NOT to give up. I would have quit after 2 or 3 months if not for MFP.
    Now I know it's NOT an overnight fix, but I WILL get there. This is a new lifestyle. It's not some temporary thing I'm going to do for a month or so and go back to my OLD FAT HABITS.
    And my MFP support will be here every inch of the way.
    Before your outside changes, you have to change your thinking & expectations. It's not surgery, you're not going to wake up thin & healthy. It takes TIME. BUT if you DON'T change your lifestyle, where will you be in a year?
    Set goals and see where you are in 60 days or 90. Where will you be on Memorial Day?

Good luck! Perseverance pays off - quitting NEVER does
  • MommyTKD
    MommyTKD Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to take measurements every couple of weeks. That way if you don't see the scale budge you have another way to gauge your success.