My Chubby Belly

Options
Hi, all. I am kinda new on here, especially on the website. I really needed some advice ASAP! So, when I started dieting/exercising, I weighed roughly 190-195. Now...I am down to 153. But there's one problem...I seem to be losing weight everywhere but my baby belly. I have stretch marks, etc because I had twins, but I need to get rid of my muffin top and my pooch on my lower belly. I heard that doing sit ups wasn't going to do much, I have to do cardio to lose weight. Well, I've been doing that, too, but I need to get rid of this belly. HELP!

Thank you so much!

Replies

• sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I have heard that belly is the hardest and the last place your fat will dissapear. I have been struggling with that too. I had to stop my cardio (running) due to some knee problems, but I started Zumba and I have also heard you can do a diet to lose belly fat. I haven't done the dieting, you are very limited on wheat, flour, and all those types of starch, I am guess I don't want it bad enough?...lol...Good luck ;)!!!
  • iKristine
    iKristine Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Im same.

I believe it's two fold. Apple body types I've heard always lose belly fat last.

Second, your body loses weight in reverse from where it gained. So if your belly was first thing to get big, then that might explain why its the last to go.

*breathes* still waiting for that to go myself.
  • aingestirera
    Options
    i didn't gave birth but i have beer belly that acquired in 3 years addiction to beer. Now, im trying to be healthy. i have stretch marks too. I have seen some good pilates exercise for muffin top. It seems promising. u might wanna check it out
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    We tend to lose our belly last, so just keep doing what you are doing. Maybe add some strength training and plyometrics for a full body workout.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    You also have to remember that with twins, your body went through an epic change, and you may always have "twin skin" due to diastasis of the abdominal muscles.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on anything, but I remember back in the day, my friends and I toned our bellies without realizing we were doing it by going out dancing 3 nights a week. I know you've just had babies, and I'm not suggesting you hit the clubs, but there are several great 'dance" workouts that people seem to enjoy a lot. You might want to try something like that if you enjoy dancing.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on anything, but I remember back in the day, my friends and I toned our bellies without realizing we were doing it by going out dancing 3 nights a week. I know you've just had babies, and I'm not suggesting you hit the clubs, but there are several great 'dance" workouts that people seem to enjoy a lot. You might want to try something like that if you enjoy dancing.
    You can't spot reduce.
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

No, but you can tone, which can help shift abdominal weight distribution.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,598 Member
    Options
    Your genetics, gender, and your diet will determine how long it will take. All you can control is your correct calorie deficit and nutrition.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

What? You reduce belly fat via diet. "Toning" will not give you a chiseled mid section and will most defiantly not "shift abdominal weight distribution"

http://news.menshealth.com/the-most-useless-exercise-ever/2011/08/25/

Where does this stuff come from?
  • Determined523
    Options
    Side bends with mod. weight.

Plank position and then bring alternating leg to ur chest.

Lay flat on back, hands under hips and hold legs 2 inches from floor. Then alternate raising them up.

Bicycle crunches.
  • AntWrig
    Options

Lay flat on back, hands under hips and hold legs 2 inches from floor. Then alternate raising them up.

Bicycle crunches.
    Side bends do nothing for the obliques. " Next time you go to the gym, count the number of times you see a person grab a dumbbell in one hand, and while they’re standing straight up, they start doing side bends to the side that they’re holding the dumbbell in. THIS DOES NOT TARGET THE OBLIQUES, so please stop doing this. It does work a very deep CORE muscle (quadratus lumborum), but 99% of the people doing this have the misconception that they’re targeting their obliques. The oblique muscles run diagonally and they can only be targeted if there is some type of crunch with rotation of the trunk to the opposite side (right shoulder going towards the left hip & visa versa). If there’s no rotation happening, such as in those Stupid Gym **** “one-arm dumbbell side bends”, then the obliques are not being targeted"

http://www.stupidgym****.com/tag/ab-exercises/
  • BecksFit88
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

What? You reduce belly fat via diet. "Toning" will not give you a chiseled mid section and will most defiantly not "shift abdominal weight distribution"

I never said that toning will give you a chiseled midsection. I did however state that it will redistribute weight. Adipose tissues is rather gelatinous. If your abs are severely weakened or damaged (such as during pregnancy) visceral fat will protrude (the dreaded mommy-belly). By strengthening your core (coupled with continued weight loss) the mommy belly is mitigated because the abdominal muscles are holding back visceral fat.

Your abs get wrecked in pregnancy. With severe diastasis, no amount of toning will fix the bulging of the abdominis rectus. That's why Tupler Technique ab exercises (targeting the transverse abdominis) are recommended, especially for women who had significant weight gain or a multiple pregnancy.

You are right that for most people, the issue is subcutaneous fat and no amount of core work will change that scenario. However, postpartum women are a different story.
  • TwistedBanana
    Options
    Do pilates! It completely transformed my tummy. I have stretch marks from being overweight, but not from pregnancy. Either way pilates will make you feel stronger than ever! Be sure to have an instructor that actually comes around and fixes your positioning because the slightest move can make the biggest difference. I did it twice a week for 17 weeks at a community college (the classes were waaaay cheaper) it will tone everything, but mostly your core. You can't always get rid of the lower pouch though, but soo many women have it. Also know that your body is going to lose weight the way it wants to so your tummy might not get in good shape until other body parts do. Have fun & good luck!!
  • AntWrig
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

I never said that toning will give you a chiseled midsection. I did however state that it will redistribute weight. Adipose tissues is rather gelatinous. If your abs are severely weakened or damaged (such as during pregnancy) visceral fat will protrude (the dreaded mommy-belly). By strengthening your core (coupled with continued weight loss) the mommy belly is mitigated because the abdominal muscles are holding back visceral fat.

Your abs get wrecked in pregnancy. With severe diastasis, no amount of toning will fix the bulging of the abdominis rectus. That's why Tupler Technique ab exercises (targeting the transverse abdominis) are recommended, especially for women who had significant weight gain or a multiple pregnancy.

You are right that for most people, the issue is subcutaneous fat and no amount of core work will change that scenario. However, postpartum women are a different story.
    I have trained a large amount of women, dealt with trainers who specialize in training with pregnant women (forgot the scientific). I have never encountered a female who has had the problem. I can see this happening right after pregnancy but not years down the road. I will look more into this.
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    wow me to...except the twins part.... let me know if you find anything that makes it go qucker!!!:wink:
  • leogirl724
    Options

Bicycle crunches.
    This Makes Sense!!
    and
    Zumba Rocks!
  • Kattaway
    Options
    I have had 2 sons and have the belly to show for it....since starting here I have lost 22 lbs, but overall I have lost 35 since being at my heaviest and while I can say I still have a belly, it HAS gotten a tad smaller, just from the weight I have lost so far. And I know this simply from my clothes and how they fit. I have always heard you cannot "spot reduce", you will just lose equally all over. But I am definitely not an expert. I say just keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to lose.
  • loulabelle73
    loulabelle73 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

• BecksFit88
    Options
    You can't spot reduce.

I have trained a large amount of women, dealt with trainers who specialize in training with pregnant women (forgot the scientific). I have never encountered a female who has had the problem. I can see this happening right after pregnancy but not years down the road. I will look more into this.

It happens most often in women who have either multiple pregnancies, RAPID weight gain, or who are caring for another older child after 2+ pregnancies- if you don't give your rectus abdominis time to heal postpartum, the diastasis increases.