Tired of Failing

Options
Weekends, family dinners, parties, just being social involves eating and drinking ... and there is ALWAYS something cming up - an invitation to friends, night out, anniversary, birthday ... endlest list ....

How do you diet without becoming a total recluse for months - I only want to lose a stone - mon - thurs I can be
good as gold - fri/sat/sunday = funday fails ! :(

1200 calories is just so hard to stick to !

x

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Weekends, family dinners, parties, just being social involves eating and drinking ... and there is ALWAYS something cming up - an invitation to friends, night out, anniversary, birthday ... endlest list ....

How do you diet without becoming a total recluse for months - I only want to lose a stone - mon - thurs I can be

x

As long as you remain in a caloric deficit over the course of time, you will make progress. Perhaps you can find a way to eat X calories on M-Th, and more calories F-Sat, and have it average out to a calorie deficit?

Just food for thought.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,719 Member
    Options

x
    You aren't committed on the weekends like you are during the week. That's it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BethiMinx
    Options
    Dear Lou1604,

My advice would be to eat before you get to certain functions---eat vegetable soup or a healthy salad, a protein bar or nuts to keep you full so you can focus on mingling at these events! I always try to eat salad for lunch if I know I'm going to have a big dinner, and focus on lean protein so that your body is full and you have nutrients with less fat!

As far as drinks are concerned, vodka-sodas are usually better than beer or other sugary drinks, and red wine is good for your heart (this week).

ALso don't forget to count all your exercising! Walking, running, stairs, dancing, cleaning....all of these things can add up to give you more calories to consume without feeling guilty!

It becomes easier as the weeks go on....and support systems like this definitely help!

Hope all this helps and good luck...
  • tiffanyvc
    Options
    I'm right there with you! It makes it harder to be successful when you feel like a failure. I just have to keep reminding myself that I need to be good. The occasional night out or trip to friend's house or celebration or whatever it is has to be celebrated or we would go nuts. We just have to stay strong and try our best to be successful!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 1200 calories, maybe you could up your calories to only half a pound a week so that you have a higher caloric allowance. 14 lbs isn't too much to lose...so it may take a while but at least you wouldn't be suffering and then going overboard on the weekends or maybe even looking into zig zagging your calories! Just a thought, but I am not one to really talk or give advice about weight loss since its been 3 months without a drop on the scale. ;)

Good luck girly!
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Need change your mind set.
    Its do-able depending how bad you want it, in my own opinion.

Ive been there went months thinking."weekend=fun,takeaway,boozr"
    id always do very bad never got anywhere until i changed how i thought of weekend.

I had make it just another day like any other mon-thur iny head.

It took time to adjust, one day at a time.
    Also helped making more home cooked foods heathlier version.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you want to go out for a nice dinner on Saturday night, get your butt to the gym and BUST *kitten* for an hour to earn those calories! You don't have to give it up entirely, you just have to work hard and earn that yummy dinner!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Why have you decided to eat only 1,200 calories? With that little to lose, you should go into MFP settings and set yourself up to lose 0.5lb a week - I bet it gives you more to eat!

Eat all or most of your exercise calories and if you really, really can't avoid overeating on weekend, you can either do a really long exercise session (I can burn over 1,000 calories on a long run and eat them all in style on a Sunday!) or spread out your calories over the week - eat a little less on weekdays and save some for the weekend. So long as it averages out at a deficit you'll be fine!
  • C00lCountry
    Options
    I go with try to find more exercise time on the fundays.
    If you burn 400 calories a day means you can do 1600 calories of food.
    You could try to put a little less on plate if fix your own.
    Eat slower so you trick your body into thinking you are eating more.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

x

1200 is hard to stick to... that's why it's often considered the MINIMUM anyone should eat. Maybe if you had more during the week and felt more satisfied, you wouldn't feel the need to splurge on the weekends.

You don't have much to lose. You can eat more and still lose.
  • lou1604
    Options
    Thanks for your comments ! I have now changed my settings to a 1lb a week and will see how I go ...

I know my downfall .. Red Wine ! .. this is where my calories come from when i over indulge ..i know that a bottle is like having a whole dinner .. but it never feels like it does it when you are sipping a glass while cooking, or sharing a bottle or two with friends ..

I will keep plodding along and hopefully I will make some progress
  • robbda
    robbda Posts: 82
    Options
    hey

I used to have this so I did some research!

I learnt that a diet coke and vodka is 50 cals... I can normally guess how many i'll have so first thing in the morning I pop them in...if we are going out for dinner that night I get the menu and plan what i'm going to have and pop that in.

Once i've done that I work out what i'm going to have the rest of the day! it works for me sometimes I might have that extra drink or something else catches my eye on the menu but I always make sure I head to the gym that day so that always helps!