Fiber or Laxative?

Options
TMI I know...

but I'm sure there are dozens if not hundreds of others on here dealing with the same issue...do you take laxatives or just try to incorporate more fiber into your diet? Or do you do something entirely different?

I'd like some good opinions on each side...

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I had a rather unhealthy addiction to using laxetives to leave me feeling 'empty'

I was perfectly regular but felt if I ate something I felt guilty about, I would take 3 tablets at night
    Sometimes the pain was horrid, not to mention the hope that no one uses the toilet after you at work

I would never advise people to use them unless there is no other option

Incorporate plenty or fruit/veg/wholegrains and there is no need to use them

I still have the temptation now, but think about what it is and has done to my gut
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm not too worried about having an addiction to them...I hate using the bathroom as it is. And as for worrying about someone going in after me...I hope they do. Payback is a mutha! Lol.

But I'll keep your advice in mind.
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Fiber!

According to MFP, my fiber intake is three times as much as suggested and obvious, ever since I am doing this, I have not had a problem.

It's wonderful!

Metamucil never gave me that feeling :/
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When I know he next meal will be a while off, I take a teaspoon of benefibre with water before eating. usually with breakfast. It just makes me feel full for longer. I've learned to keep it at or below 2tsp's a day though. But I guess everybody reacts to them differently.
    I've never had the need for laxatives, and fibre I only take for hunger management...
  • abrn93
    abrn93 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    More fiber! It is much healthier for your colon than laxatives. Just increase slowly and maintain your water intake.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber............ and Miralax ( Restoralax / Peg Powder )

I have more than enough fiber in my diet, but I still have trouble going. I think I got so irregular that my body forgot how to tell me I needed to go!

I take a tablespoon of Miralax in my afternoon coffe. Without it, I do not go.
  • Tatum2010
    Options
    Incorporate ground flax seed and liquid flax borage oil into the foods you eat. You can buy the flax in the health food isle and then use a coffee grinder to grind it up and the oil you will have to go to a health food store or order on line. Use 2 TLBS of each, each day. I add both to fruit smoothies in the AM. You can also add it to like hot cereal.

It is all natural, no chemicals and good for you.

Make sure you drink water all day and make sure you are eating leafy greens as well for the extra fiber.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Lots of fiber............ and Miralax ( Restoralax / Peg Powder )

I have more than enough fiber in my diet, but I still have trouble going. I think I got so irregular that my body forgot how to tell me I needed to go!

I take a tablespoon of Miralax in my afternoon coffe. Without it, I do not go.

I'm having the same issue. I usually am at or above the recommended fiber intake according to MFP...but I still have trouble. I picked up some fiber one brownies (which are delicious by the way) but they don't have nearly as much fiber in them as I thought they would and they really haven't helped.

I'll try the flax seed idea.
  • The fiber one cereals have a lot of fiber in them, and they also have much less sugar than the bars.
  • figurekat
    figurekat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    increased water intake usually suits me fine. The cleaner my diet, the less trouble I have and I have a long history of intestinal issues. if I find it's been a little while there are herbal teas that can help you pass things a little more smoothly. If it is a chronic issue, see your doctor.
  • boobear00
    boobear00 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I use Fiber Advance Gummies Weight Management. You can have 2-4 per day; however I wouldn't go over 2. It will make you overactive if you know what I mean. They give you 4 grams of fiber and 15 calories for 2 gummies and it makes me feel like I'm getting candy. :)
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I try to eat fibre rich foods, multigrains, fruit, vegetables. I also have 2 teaspoons of benefibre in 500 mls of water when I wake up in the morning. This does the trick for me,

I find that my morning walk also gets things moving.

I have taken laxatives maybe twice in my life and oh my god I can't imagine doing that on a regular basis.