Why on earth have I gained weight?!

Options
So I started eating healthy and exercising about 15 days ago. I'm getting married in November and wanted to get back to the weight a was a year ago (58kg) as I know I feel more comfortable at that weight. When I started I was 67/68kg depending on the day I weighed in. The diet change started off great and I've been doing pretty well following the instructions of the calorie counter. Sticking to 1200 cal a day and eating lots of fruit/veg plus taking a multivitamin when I realised my intake of nutrients wasn't as good as it should be. I'm also doing the following day routine of work outs three times a week, 1 hour yoga followed by 15 min stationary bike (vigorous), 10 min rowing (intensive), 20 min jog with a 10 min brisk walk warm down, and then one extra more fun workout like hiking or a two hour brisk walk on another day. My yoga class includes a core workout, planks and ab crunches etc. I don't have access to weights yet but will be getting some quite soon. in conjunction with all this I'm drinking on average 3 litres of water a day plus one cup of green tea.

Now here is my problem. In the first week I dropped 2.8 kg, I was pretty pleased with myself but also from the way my face and hands are now thinner am confident that I was very dehydrated and water bloated. This week on the other hand I have gained a kilo. I don't understand what I have done differently but it's extremely disheartening. I know I need to eat to sustain my body and support the exercise I am doing but it's hard to be enthusiastic when I am worried that for some reason my weight will go up again or has plateaued already.

I just need motivation and today it feels very hard to do anything.

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    So I started eating healthy and exercising about 15 days ago. I'm getting married in November and wanted to get back to the weight a was a year ago (58kg) as I know I feel more comfortable at that weight. When I started I was 67/68kg depending on the day I weighed in. The diet change started off great and I've been doing pretty well following the instructions of the calorie counter. Sticking to 1200 cal a day and eating lots of fruit/veg plus taking a multivitamin when I realised my intake of nutrients wasn't as good as it should be. I'm also doing the following day routine of work outs three times a week, 1 hour yoga followed by 15 min stationary bike (vigorous), 10 min rowing (intensive), 20 min jog with a 10 min brisk walk warm down, and then one extra more fun workout like hiking or a two hour brisk walk on another day. My yoga class includes a core workout, planks and ab crunches etc. I don't have access to weights yet but will be getting some quite soon. in conjunction with all this I'm drinking on average 3 litres of water a day plus one cup of green tea.

Now here is my problem. In the first week I dropped 2.8 kg, I was pretty pleased with myself but also from the way my face and hands are now thinner am confident that I was very dehydrated and water bloated. This week on the other hand I have gained a kilo. I don't understand what I have done differently but it's extremely disheartening. I know I need to eat to sustain my body and support the exercise I am doing but it's hard to be enthusiastic when I am worried that for some reason my weight will go up again or has plateaued already.

I just need motivation and today it feels very hard to do anything.
    Stop back an relax.

You're doing way too much for eating at 1200 calories. There could be a number of factors, why gained. None of them are fat. So, this is what I would do:

1. Eat more
    2. Stop weighing yourself.
    3. Set closure goals. November is a long time away. Make that your ultimate goal but set smaller ones.
    4. Weight loss is not linear.
  • sjr240
    sjr240 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've found that over the course of a year there are plenty of ups and downs that don't seem to follow the calorie intake or carb intake. Being 15 days into your program, I suspect you've gained some muscle mass, which weighs more but will burn more calories (even at rest) than fat. So that will work to your benefit in the long run. Hang in there! :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I've found that over the course of a year there are plenty of ups and downs that don't seem to follow the calorie intake or carb intake. Being 15 days into your program, I suspect you've gained some muscle mass, which weighs more but will burn more calories (even at rest) than fat. So that will work to your benefit in the long run. Hang in there! :)

lol
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Muscle in 15 days.....

Right.
  • sjr240
    Options
    Mass, not bulk. A pound a month is not uncommon. Half of her one kilo gain could be increased muscle mass after half a month. The first two weeks have the greatest rate. But go ahead and lol.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Mass, not bulk. A pound a month is not uncommon. Half of her one kilo gain could be increased muscle mass after half a month. The first two weeks have the greatest rate. But go ahead and lol.
    1. She is not gaining muscle on 1200 calories a day.
    2. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat, weigh a pound.
    3. You're correct weight loss is not linear, however it shouldn't be labeled as "up's and down's". No wonder so many people get upset. Remove the stigma from a temporary weight gain.
  • NetanyaIrl
    NetanyaIrl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Stop back an relax.

You're doing way too much for eating at 1200 calories. There could be a number of factors, why gained. None of them are fat. So, this is what I would do:

1. Eat more
    3. Set closure goals. November is a long time away. Make that your ultimate goal but set smaller ones.

To be honest I thought I would do better to not use the calories I burn during exercise so that I got extra weight loss as my body fat is high enough I though it could do with a bit of a push to bring it down. That is why I'm not eating more.

I thought weighing myself once a week was pretty normal during a weight loss programme.

I have set the goal of being 60 kg by mid april and then maintaining it till November.

I know it's not linear but gaining weight when I'm working my *kitten* off is disheartening.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Stop back an relax.

1. Eat more
    To be honest I thought I would do better to not use the calories I burn during exercise so that I got extra weight loss as my body fat is high enough I though it could do with a bit of a push to bring it down. That is why I'm not eating more.
    Doesn't work like that. That's like saying, I thought I could make to my destination, while being on E. I just used momentum to get me there. You have a machine, fuel it.
    I thought weighing myself once a week was pretty normal during a weight loss programme.
    I suggest you weigh yourself daily for two weeks. You will then learn how much your body fluctuates. Then remove the scale, weigh yourself every 2-4 weeks.
    I have set the goal of being 60 kg by mid april and then maintaining it till November.
    Good! Create a series of "checkpoints". Space them 4-6 weeks apart. When reach these checkpoints, weigh yourself three days prior everyday up to the check point. Measure yourself and take pictures. Also create a test. Maybe it's a run, or pushups, whatever. Just make sure you beat your previous checkpoint.
    I know it's not linear but gaining weight when I'm working my *kitten* off is disheartening.
    Just know that consistency is the key.
  • sjr240
    Options
    Hang in there, NetanyaIrl. Stay with it and it'll start moving in the right direction again. Focus on the positive... I'm sure you already feel better than you did before you started!
  • traceyx69
    Options
    1. She is not gaining muscle on 1200 calories a day.
    2. A pound of muscle and a pound of fat, weigh a pound.
    3. You're correct weight loss is not linear, however it shouldn't be labeled as "up's and down's". No wonder so many people get upset. Remove the stigma from a temporary weight gain.

Now that is just good common sense.

Think
    If a pound of Feathers dropped from a building at the same time a pound of lead which would land first??
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    If you are working out and burning that many calories you have to eat more! 1200 calories is what your body needs to survive if say you were in a coma. If you are burning them off and not replacing them you are doing more harm than good.

Try eating back at least half your exercise calories, try that for 2 weeks and see if there is a change.

I agree I don't think it's muscle mass in 15 days, if she is not eating enough she will start to lose muscle mass as well.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Netanyarl, don't get too upset. Everyone's body is different and everyone needs different things to achieve their goals. 15 days isn't really a long enough time to estimate if what you're doing is right or wrong. My suggestion is simple: eat back your exercise calories. Make sure that after you've worked out, you're still getting at least 1200 a day. Invest in a HRM so you know exactly how many calories you're burning. Weigh your food.

Good luck! You're taking the right steps! Don't give up!
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    What did MFP give you as the amount you should eat to lose 1lb a week? That's what you should be eating, exercise or not. I'm willing to bet it's more than 1200 calories, as I weigh less than you and it gave me higher than 1200 calories with my lifestyle listed as 'Lightly Active' (I enter my workouts seperately).
  • NetanyaIrl
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat ie it occupies less space. It still weighs the same.

I should also point out that I'm being harsh with myself because when I weighed 58 kg I ate whatever I wanted (healthy foods though) cause I ran 40 km a week (training for marathon). But I became ill for a totally unrelated reason and had to stop running which lead to the weight gain.

At my peak my body fat was 16% and muscle mass was 40%. Now it's body fat 25% and muscle 38%. So the muscle is still in here just under a ton of fat.

I should be more conscious of how to eat to fuel my workouts but I'm disgusted with my fitness level and weight.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I needed to hear the fact that I should be eating more from someone unconnected with me in RL.
  • AntWrig
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat ie it occupies less space. It still weighs the same.

I should also point out that I'm being harsh with myself because when I weighed 58 kg I ate whatever I wanted (healthy foods though) cause I ran 40 km a week (training for marathon). But I became ill for a totally unrelated reason and had to stop running which lead to the weight gain.

At my peak my body fat was 16% and muscle mass was 40%. Now it's body fat 25% and muscle 38%. So the muscle is still in here just under a ton of fat.

I should be more conscious of how to eat to fuel my workouts but I'm disgusted with my fitness level and weight.

Thanks for your comments everyone. I needed to hear the fact that I should be eating more from someone unconnected with me in RL.
    Judging from this post, you know what you're doing. Just hang in there!
  • NetanyaIrl
    Options
    What did MFP give you as the amount you should eat to lose 1lb a week? That's what you should be eating, exercise or not. I'm willing to bet it's more than 1200 calories, as I weigh less than you and it gave me higher than 1200 calories with my lifestyle listed as 'Lightly Active' (I enter my workouts seperately).

1200 is what it gave me as I am a postgrad sitting most of the day. My workouts are my only real energy burning sessions. That's why I was sticking to it.
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    :laugh: always makes me laugh when people say muscle weighs more than fat... not true... its less dense so you appear slimmer.... unlikely its muscle gain in just 15 days.,.. and any initial loss is usually water weight... also at 1200 cals a day and working out as much as you do... you're definately not eating enough... this then sending you into *starvation mode*... your body will hang onto weight for survival incase it dont get the right nutrients etc the next day... just remember it all takes time and effort.. but you will get there, keep at it and good luck :)
  • madamepsychosis
    Options
    Don't worry about it :) I'm glad you're going to start eating more and I bet the weight will start dropping off again when you do.

I think it's natural to want to restrict insane amounts when you're panicking about how much weight you want/need to lose, but remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint and you need to be healthy and happy. If you eat healthily, less than you expend and work out like you are, you WILL lose the weight. You can do it :)
  • madamepsychosis
    Options

1200 is what it gave me as I am a postgrad sitting most of the day. My workouts are my only real energy burning sessions. That's why I was sticking to it.

In that case, definitely eat back at least half of your exercise calories. If you possibly can, invest in an HRM so you can get an accurate reading of how many calories you burn.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating at the best of times. Especially if you have a setback. I was doing really well last year, suffered a terrible knee injury and have struggled ever since. I am now facing surgery and I know it's going to knock my confidence again. However I know I will get there one day. I've got a great motivational group here and that goes a long way to keeping me accountable.
    Good luck, I hope you find what works for you.