metabolisim just read this :(

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Old news. That is why people need to do their own trial and error. All the calculators and formulas are just estimates. You have to take the time and want to make fine tuned adjustments.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    mmm probably explains a lot. Did you see the link to the simulator http://bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov/ - looks like an excellent tool.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 274 Member
    Hope he is wrong just ran his simulator and it said i would need to eat 982 calories a day to lose weight????
    if i carry on with 1200 on day 180 will start putting on weight again?
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Hope he is wrong just ran his simulator and it said i would need to eat 982 calories a day to lose weight????
    if i carry on with 1200 on day 180 will start putting on weight again?

That can't be right - no woman should be eating <1,200 cal per day. Its just not feasible or realistic.
  • mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    I do think there's truth in this (I am by no means an expert) but you have to take anything published in that news paper (otherwise known as the Daily Fail in the UK) with a pinch of salt. They have a different article about losing weight every day and it's just an excuse for people to make comments about how much they hate fat people. According to some of the commentors, you should eat 600-800 calories a day if you're not losing weight eating more!
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,078 Member
    the link is not working for me.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    another researcher justifing their research grant :-) unless of course I suddenly stop losing weight because of the publishing of this article
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Simulator says I can eat 2359 a day and lose 30lbs in 180days

But what I'm currently doing works fine! So that'll do pig
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
  • AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    It is idiotic to say that it is now harder to loose weight because somebody has decided to measure calories differently. It is exactly as hard to loose weight today as it was yesterday. And since the article started off with that idiotic statement I tend to ignore the whole thing. It only takes in to account calorie consumption, no mention of exercise or hormones, both of which have a huge influence on metabolism.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    I could be wrong but isn't that why they suggest zig zag calorie counting? I just read about zig zagging on Friday and I am giving it a try. It seems to make sense to me.
  • AshleyWells86
    AshleyWells86 Posts: 11 Member
    That thing is great , I was struggling with 1200 cal now I have to cut it down to 900 and run for 30 min every day for the next 180 days. This is bloody ridiculus why cant I just be thinner, it doesnt seen that hard for skinny people.

I dont think ill have the energy to type eating 900 cals
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    It only takes in to account calorie consumption, no mention of exercise or hormones, both of which have a huge influence on metabolism.

Yup, which is why I don't buy it either. Our bodies are so complex, and so different from each other, there's no way you can focus on only one thing and make any valid claims that encompass everyone. One person can eat whatever she wants all day & still be skinny, while most of us on MFP certainly can't do that! And there are perfectly healthy vegans but there are also perfectly healthy Paleo eaters. So there is no one-size-fits-all answer, and any person or article that claims otherwise is ignoring scientific fact.

I did everything "right" and ate a calorie deficit for years and still gained weight, until I found a doctor who discovered that my metabolism wasn't working right. I can't process carbs correctly, so as long as I included them in my diet, all the self-denial and exercise in the world weren't going to help me. My hormones weren't sending the right signals (or my cells weren't accepting those signals) to allow me to stop storing fat and start burning it.

So I wouldn't take this article too seriously. Listen to your body, and do what works for you.
  • The body weight simulator is interesting but seems to support what MFP has been telling me all along. I am not sure I agree that the weight loss at the end will be a straight line though. I could be wrong but I think the graph will curve toward the end implying the last 10 pounds will be harder to lose. All in all, this has not caused me to change my outlook on anything. I will continue to maintain a caloric deficit of -500 calories from my BMR and add to that an additional deficit of -500 calories from exercise which I do not eat back. Together this should allow me to drop 2 lbs a week. Bumping up the nutrient value of the calories I do eat will hopefully allow me to build muscle and not burn muscle.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Yeah, I just tried that simulator, and it's full of... unpleasant bodily waste material.

It says that back when I weighed over 300 lb, I had to eat over 3000 calories per day to sustain that weight. Baloney. I haven't eaten that many calories in a day since I was in high school.

And when I set it to the goal I've already achieved, losing 65 lb in 11 months, the calorie count it told me I would need was ridiculously low, I've been eating much more than that and still lost the weight. So, yeah, this thing isn't accurate at all.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    The only truth in this is since Im now 20 years older than when I first started trying to lose weight it does come off slower but I lost quiet abit of weight quickly doing weightwatchers many times
    Just thought Id get peoples views x