Is a HRM Really Worth it?

Options
I'm wondering if getting a HRM is really worth it. Before we go too far, I'm not looking for another gadget to have to try and read things from or plug into the computer to get results. What I was looking for was to be able to use it with my phone (Android phone) since I always have it with me for music and such. I know that they have the bluetooth versions of HRMs that will work with apps on the market (like endo or sports tracker), but I've read that they don't take heart rate into account when calculating calories burned. I know both apps say they are working on utilizing the heart rate in the calculations, but who knows how long it will really be before they do.

So, would it be beneficial to just abandon the hope of using my phone to track the info (HR / calories) and just go with one of the others?

Replies

• castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    BUMP! I'd like to know about this too. HRMs seem to be so expensive, and complicated, and I'd love something simple I can use with my iPhone.
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I went ahead and invested in a HRM. I just got it though and haven't figured it out yet. :grumble:
  • nshannon14
    nshannon14 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I spent about $100 on one about a year ago but it is complicated and I barely ever use it. The logic behind using it makes total sense, but for me at the point I'm not sure it is worth the hassle. I am pretty out of shape still despite a month of exercising and I have a pretty good idea when my body is working at 75-80%. It isn't hard to get it there at the moment. As I get in better shape I probably will take the time to figure it out and start using it again just so I can see where to push myself. I think this all depends on what exactly you are trying to do.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I know Polar makes a strap that works through bluetooth with a smart phone.. as far as what it's called or how much it costs, I don't know.

If you do decide to go the traditional HRM route, most important thing is to get one with a chest strap. I really like the Polar brand(there a ton to choose from depending on your price range and what features that you want).
  • maradanielle
    maradanielle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I got a really cheapo HRM off amazon for like $30.00 it works pretty well but doesn't tell me calories burned so I have this crazy long formula to figure it out, but what I burn is way over what MFP has in the data base. So if I'm feeling stingy I'll use the calories burned from HRM but normally I just use whats in the database here.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and I love it. I wouldn't be without mine. I use apps like endomondo and B210K in conjunction with it. However, I have to input the info on the HRM. I still find it very encouraging and find it helpful to monitor my heart rate and cals burned.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I got warned off the Polar Bluetooth one you can use with phone apps, apparently it doesn't work that well.

I used HRMs for years, but honestly I've made much more progress using rate of perceived exertion (RPE), plus I get out if the house much faster (or at all!) if I don't have to faff around with gadgets.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    For me, my HRM was the best investment I made. Even gym membership is second.
    I eat my calories back. How will I know, as accurately as current science will allow, what I burned, (and how much I have available, since I choose to eat the calories back)?
    I like to deal as much as possible in reality. I want to know how many calories in and how many calories burned.
    Being able to make informed decisions has helped me go from 230 pounds to 175, so far.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I got warned off the Polar Bluetooth one you can use with phone apps, apparently it doesn't work that well.

I used HRMs for years, but honestly I've made much more progress using rate of perceived exertion (RPE), plus I get out if the house much faster (or at all!) if I don't have to faff around with gadgets.

^^ This

Sometimes its easy to get obsessed with more and more gadgety goodness, when all you need to do is just get out of the house and start running. RPE is an easy way to judge exercise without messing about with an HRM.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I go by RPE as well. It works for me.

I've bought HRM's and ended up returning them, or breaking them, or not using them for one reason or another. I'm done spending the money.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    For me it was all about math and maximizing my efficiency. I agree, getting up and moving is the best thing, so you dont actually NEED an HRM. All you need is a pair of running shoes and the will to do it. For me personally though, I need the daily math to remain motivated. I have a polar FT60 that has a bunch of features, but I really only use it to ensure I am maximizing the efficiency of my workouts, and to see how many calories I burned so I can log it in my diary. I can trust the numbers from the HRM more than the ones from MFP or the machines at the gym. So, my advice is you dont need one, and can work out fine without it, but its a really useful tool to have if you like to play the numbers game.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    yes HRM's are defo worth it!! You dont even need a really expensive one! There all pretty good, even the cheaper ones! I have got a cheap one, and it works just a good as those more expensive ones out there! If you want to accuratley see how many calories you are burning, then i suggest in getting one! MFP over estimates on some workouts! Soo its best to get a HRM.. I would look around first, look online at different ones, and read the reviews on them! And then go buy one =)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I've been happy with my progress using MFP's estimates, so I never felt a need to get a HRM.
  • mstaser
    mstaser Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few and always ended up taking them back because they were just way to complicated and only did the calorie burn while running or walking. I finally got a Polar FT4 and love it. It does have a chest strap, but it is so easy to use and it does one thing. It measures your heart rate and tells your calorie burn. It will calculate your target rates and such, but it takes minuted for initial set up and a push of a button and your ready. I like this one because I can use it for weights, running or anything. Don't have to be moving, just need a heartbeat.
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few and always ended up taking them back because they were just way to complicated and only did the calorie burn while running or walking. I finally got a Polar FT4 and love it. It does have a chest strap, but it is so easy to use and it does one thing. It measures your heart rate and tells your calorie burn. It will calculate your target rates and such, but it takes minuted for initial set up and a push of a button and your ready. I like this one because I can use it for weights, running or anything. Don't have to be moving, just need a heartbeat.

ditto!
  • courtnoga
    courtnoga Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have a polar hrm (it was about 60 bucks on amazon) I use it every day and I love it. Its way more accurate (for me) than MFP estimates.
  • tammeegirl
    tammeegirl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love mine, its probably old school compared to what is available....but its the strap I wear right below my bra line, CANT EVEN TELL ITS THERE.....with the watchband/monitor worn on the wrist.....and I found it used on Craigslist, was still in box with directions and everything for $30, I thought well at least this way if I dont like it or just dont use it I wont have a huge investment in it. Its made by Polar. Same brand I used with a personal trainer some years ago.....I love it. :bigsmile:
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I think some of it depends on your personality. Gadgets are fun and exciting for me, so I find my HRM both informative and motivational. And I'm a little anal-retentive, so RPE always irks me because it's not very precise, plus I'm a person who tends to under-rate my exertion (or pain, don't get me started on the pain scale) when using that system as a measure.

I have the Polar FT4, and I use it to make sure I'm in my target range during cardio, and to calculate the calories burned afterwards.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options

^^^This! I love my Polar FT4. Keeps me honest with my calorie burn.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been a runner for years, and for most of those I've been carefully monitoring my cals using web sites such as MFP. I tried a cheap HRM once and hated it. I found it fiddly and just another thing to mess about with when I could be actually running. I'm sure I would have had a better experience with a better HRM, but since I've never had the urge to buy one.

Note: I like gadgets, I like computers, I like spreadsheets, I like tracking my metrics. So in theory a HRM should be right up my street. But it's not.