Giving up for Lent?

Options
rebawagner
rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
IS anyone planning on giving something up for Lent? I am still not sure what I am going to give up and I need to decide ASAP! Ideas, thoughts???

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lent seriously snuck up on me this year. I have no idea. I personally like to try to give something up that I would like to continue afterwards. I don't usually give up something like coffee because I know I will go back to it, haha :)
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Giving up cigarettes & started C25K..

Figure if I can stay off the cigarettes I'll have saved myself Euro 400 (40 days in lent & cigerattes basically Euro 10 a pack here in Ireland)

If I can do that, I'll have paid for half my flight to the US for my holidays!!
  • Becca619
    Becca619 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up snacking. Going to only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I enjoy snacking and so this will be a sacrific for me to do and will be hard!
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Computer games are a huge part of the reason that I sit too much of the day...haven't decided if I am tough enough to go cold turkey...HELP!!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I read someone was giving up the scale. I thought about it but my HRM prompts me to say my weight every week- if I did not get on the scale it would not be accurate.

So instead I decided I do not want to put anything in my "did I really need that" part of my food diary. - this usually contains food when I am going to go over my cals, cookies and desserts and alcohol. So basically when I don't need it. I am not giving up chocolate because trader joe's has a chocolate oat bar and some granola bars have chocolate and I use them for snacks while skiing and such -but for example I would give up a chocolate bar- the unnecessary things :flowerforyou:
  • elenathegreat
    Options
    I'm giving up snacking. Going to only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I enjoy snacking and so this will be a sacrific for me to do and will be hard!
  • elenathegreat
    Options
    IDK if this is such a good idea for your blood sugar though... if you get too hungry between meals, would you tend to overeat?
  • NickBanford
    Options
    I personally like to try to give something up that I would like to continue afterwards.

I like this idea. Now I just have to think of something to give up.
  • rebawagner
    rebawagner Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I read someone was giving up the scale. I thought about it but my HRM prompts me to say my weight every week- if I did not get on the scale it would not be accurate.

So instead I decided I do not want to put anything in my "did I really need that" part of my food diary. - this usually contains food when I am going to go over my cals, cookies and desserts and alcohol. So basically when I don't need it. I am not giving up chocolate because trader joe's has a chocolate oat bar and some granola bars have chocolate and I use them for snacks while skiing and such -but for example I would give up a chocolate bar- the unnecessary things :flowerforyou:

I gave up the scale last year, it was not easy!!!!
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Probably snacking, sweets, and Facebook....FB and similar places are a reason I sit alot during the day..plus I'm making my kids give up TV/movies,(at least for the most part) so I won't have that time to be on the computer :P
  • Runnermadre
    Runnermadre Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up wasting so much time on Facebook, and the internet in general. I'm going to commit to checking FB/MFP/e-mail once in the morning for no more than 10 minutes, and once at night for the same amount of time. I hope to be more productive, and to stop making the excuse of not having time for things. :-)
  • semeyer
    semeyer Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am giving up booze and fast food. I don't really drink during the week, but I think I have been having too fun on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Funday and it is sabotaging my logging and eating choices. And yes, damn you shamrock shake.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options

This is not a good idea. You should eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism burning....it's like fuel to your fire.
  • Kitiara47
    Options
    Lent truly snuck up on me too... I gave up soda last year. I think I'll add ice cream to it. The soda helped me remember the little things if that makes sense. I thought about giving up snacking, but because of classes I don't get a break to eat lunch. So it's more like a 2-part snack! :tongue: Good luck on your goals and journey! :flowerforyou:
  • jankleberry
    Options
    I really want to give up the scale. But I plan on starting 30 day shred at the end of the month and I want to weigh myself before and after :)
  • tinacc1
    tinacc1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Chocolate. I did it last year and the year before as well. It's something I LOVE and hopefully, I'll stay off it when Lent is over.
    Happy Shrove Tuesday Everyone! Enjoy a pancake or two <3
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am giving up booze and fast food. I don't really drink during the week, but I think I have been having too fun on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday Funday and it is sabotaging my logging and eating choices. And yes, damn you shamrock shake.

I'm with you! Agreed!
  • Auspiciousgirl
    Options
    This is today's page-a-day calendar from "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I thought it was fitting for this thread!

"Deny yourself something. An important factor in happiness is adaptability. Because we adapt quickly to any improvement, we soon take it for granted, and a luxury ceases to be a luxury when we experience it often. One unenjoyable cure for this 'hedonic treadmill' is deprivation. Deny yourself something for a while-- your usual midafternoon cookie, watching TV-- and you'll enjoy it much more when you experience it again."

Best thoughts to those participating in lent this year :)
  • Ldburr
    Ldburr Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm not giving anything up this year, instead I'm going to try to stick with my work outs 5-6 times per week. Tri season is coming up, and I haven't had the motiviation to get focused on training... Wish me luck!
  • rebeccawalker1982
    rebeccawalker1982 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I thought about this last night....I really do not know what I could give up that would make a difference.....Over the past years the things I gave up I really do not eat or drink any more. (cokes, tea, beef, alcohol, ect). the only think I could give up would be the computer or my phone and those are the only way I communicate with people right now being a stay at home mom!

My thought is this year insted of giving something up, I will commit to doing something everyday for 40 days. I have been laxed on working out with bad weather, sick kid, ect so for me MAKING myself work out EVERYDAY would be something that would be a lot better for me than giving something up. When I started MFP I said I would work out 20/min 3-4 times a week. So for lent it will be atleat 20/mins 7 days a week. If weather is nice I will go for a walk if not, use my stationary bike and or the Wii or the work out stuff thats recorded on my DVR from fit TV.