Giving up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• JenLaPointe
    Options
    I am thinking of giving up snacking on treats people bring in at work. This adds up to alot of unnessary calories. Also thought about giving up candy.
  • AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I am giving up cursing and trying to log my food 100% for 40 days.
  • FionaHelen
    FionaHelen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    i am giving up negativity, i was always very optamistic but the last few months have been a total sulking sue, No more!

And i may give up my bed time hot choclate, but this will be very hard ;-(
  • 28aitch28
    Options
    The usual, but it's important for me because I'm right at the start of my fitness plan. So it will be chocolate and crisps. Still gives me a glass of wine or a rare slice of cake to play with if I get desperate - but it can't be chocolate cake!! Good luck with it :-)
  • m615dan
    Options
    Can I give up going to the gym???? I think I might give up drinking. If I do that, I'll lose soooo much weight, sooo fast
  • ncole3
    ncole3 Posts: 164
    Options
    I want try giving up all meat, chicken and fish included....let's see how it goes.
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    In the past dozen years I've given up caffeine, nicotine and alcohol, all forever.

Why would I care about Lent?
  • JanineHarrison
    JanineHarrison Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is today's page-a-day calendar from "The Happiness Project" by Gretchen Rubin. I thought it was fitting for this thread!

"Deny yourself something. An important factor in happiness is adaptability. Because we adapt quickly to any improvement, we soon take it for granted, and a luxury ceases to be a luxury when we experience it often. One unenjoyable cure for this 'hedonic treadmill' is deprivation. Deny yourself something for a while-- your usual midafternoon cookie, watching TV-- and you'll enjoy it much more when you experience it again."

Best thoughts to those participating in lent this year :)

I like this and to me that was more of the reason for giving up something for lent. It wasn't to give it up for good but to deprive yourself of something so that you appreciate it more when you have it again.

I haven't decided mine though. I'm thinking soda. That wil be tough, but that's the point I guess. Then afterwards it would be a special treat and not something I'm drinking 3 or 4 times a week or more, but then again that sort of goes back to giving up something that I probably shouldn't be indulging in anyway. So I don't know...
  • shelbydown50
    Options
    i'm giving up marijuana haha
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    I've been thinking about Lent for quite a while and I'm just not sure what to give up. I've given up a lot since I started my weight loss journey. Whats left? I'm thinking about putting my own spin on it this year and instead of giving up something I want, I'll add something I don't. I really hate running on the treadmill, but I do it a couple times a week. I think I'll make myself do it 5 days a week. It will be more of a challenge for me to add that than to take away something else. Then I'll just hope I don't go to hell for adding instead of denying...
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I can't give up much food-wise (vegan with a burgeoning raw foods angle), but I deactivated my Facebook, and I'm not going to drink any wine. Oh, and being judgmental. That'll be the hardest one, haha.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    I was talking to a friend of mine about this yesterday. She's already modified her diet so there aren't a lot of "guilty pleasures" that she still indulges in. I suggested she give up cursing. She'd be making a conscious effort to be aware of what she said to people whenever she spoke. Everytime she slips, she should add money (could be just a quarter) to a "cuss jar" and at the end of Lent donate whatever is in the jar to her church.
  • rlaconey
    Options
    I am fasting from sweets. This will be a challenge and will take a lot of prayer and help from God, but I know that with his guidance I will succeed.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up chocolate and peanut butter.

Go ahead, tell me that peanut butter is a good source of protein... LOL. I've already heard it.
    The reason why I'm giving up peanut butter is because I crave it through the day and then over-induldge on it. There is a lot of fat in peanut butter as well. I shall replace my peanut butter snacking with the healthier choice of natural almonds :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm going to aim for processed sugar!
  • Tindall12
    Tindall12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Fast food ( Bugers,fries etc). Sweets ( candy,brownies,cakes etc.)
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I AM GIVING UP 15 POUNDS FOR LENT and all liquids except for water.
  • lilyjay_
    Options
    I'm giving up bread! I don't eat as much bread as I used to but it is still something I find hard to cut down & have toast for snacks a lot... I'm hoping that once lent is over I'll eat bread a lot less.

A few years ago I gave up cheese which was really difficult but I'm so glad I did it, before then I was eating cheese with most meals & since then I have cut it down so much.

Good luck to everyone!
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Nothing i can give up.. pretty much changed everything or stopped bad stuff ages ago.
  • Time2Live99
    Options
    I've been thinking about this for awhile.. I'm thinking about giving up going out to eat, I eat out a lot for lunch and its not helping my weight loss. I need to start bringing my lunch to work. I already gave up soda and I don't drink often, or smoke so I think not going out to eat for lunch would be a good challenge for me since its so tempting when everyone you work with always goes out too.