Push-ups need help!

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Try starting with reverse push-ups – get into the "up" position of whatever type of push-up you're aiming for, drop slowly to the ground, then instead of pushing up, get back to the starting position any way you feel comfortable.
  • chocciechip
    chocciechip Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Found this on youtube - quite helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX_MH80lxfY

I too struggle with push-ups, i've got a dodgy wrist and just can't support my weight on it but keep trying.

30DS is an awesome dvd. I've found when I was struggling to do the pressups I would do a plank instead (proper plank not how they describe on 30DS) and I think that also helps build strength and stamina :)

keep going don't give up!!
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    I actually downloaded a good free little app on my phone. Its called Push Ups :D You enter your ultimate push up goal, and how many you can do now... and it will help train you like a personal trainer would! It tells you how many sets of how many to do, and how long to wait. I love that app!
  • sunnysweetpea
    sunnysweetpea Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here's a six-step programme that worked for me to build up my push-ups when I was recovering from a shoulder injury:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396

Thanks for sharing this link. I'm doing a tough mudder in May and I really need to be able to do a push up. As well as all the runnign :P I can currently do them using my bed as a platform which I guess is about a foot high. I could do them quite easily really so I think I need to try the ones with my legs apart.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I can't do a 'man' pushup either. I try & try (can only do one) I can do them on my knees - sometimes if my knees aren't bothering me and I can do incline pushups on stairs & furniture. But CAN NOT do military pushups. I just go with what I CAN do and keep trying
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Doing elevated push ups is a great place to start. I also have a very hard time with push ups and my PT has me do elevated ones from a bench. They are becoming easier, but definitely still a challenge. On days I do Boot Camp and doing elevated ones aren't an option I've found if I start flat on the floor and push up from there and go all the way back down I'm able to do them. Yes I take a brief rest in between each one, but at least I'm trying and each week I've been able to do a few more then the week before.
  • IzzieLee
    IzzieLee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time doing push ups also. One suggestion I read about in Women's Health magazine is do them on a set of stairs. Stand on the floor at the bottom of the stairs and lean forward to the highest stair that you are comfortable at. Do as many pushups that way as you can. As they become easier, move your feet out and move your hands down a stair. After awhile you will find yourself on the floor! I believe the article said it will take you about 6 weeks to get to the bottom but what a great moment that will be!! Good luck!
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    WOW, thanks everyone....I think I'm going to try the wall ones today.