Giving up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up alcohol. And I'm going to try to stop eating after 7pm.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up snacking. Going to only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I enjoy snacking and so this will be a sacrific for me to do and will be hard!

This is not a good idea. You should eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism burning....it's like fuel to your fire.

+1 but make sure you are snacking on the right stuff.
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to give up all liquids except for water and all candy that is not chocolate. I have already given up juices, except for Crystal Light, but I do indulge in diet sodas every now and then, so I am going to give up both of those for Lent. I am a Twizzler and gummy bear lover, so giving up the candy will be hard, but doable.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Fried Foods, processed carbs, cheat days, and diet coke
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    My plan this year is to get more diligent with the strength training part of my workout plan (push-ups and sit-ups every day, find and enact a thrice-a-week plan that I enjoy and can stick to).

And, more importantly than that, to be more mindful of my temper with my kids. It goes too quickly, especially lately, and it's not fair to them -- my oldest is just 4 1/2 years old and they're just kids being kids and I need to remember that. Hopefully I'll come out of the season a more patient person and a better father.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    sex.. oh wait..... I gave that up once I got married.... back to the drawing board
  • mialsya
    mialsya Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I am giving up fat. I'm tired of carrying so much of it around with me. :)
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Giving up my time. Instead of watching tv when I have free time I am going to pray the Rosary and the Divine Mercy Chaplet daily.
  • fritzy2000
    fritzy2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think instead of giving up something I will take on more exercise and more accurate logging in my food diary.
    I am going to BEAT THE BULGE!!!!!
  • fritzy2000
    fritzy2000 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    sex.. oh wait..... I gave that up once I got married.... back to the drawing board

OUCH!!!!!!
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I give up all junk food....:) no binges etc!
  • thelowcarbrecipes
    thelowcarbrecipes Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am giving up pasta :P but I have been giving that up for 5 months already so slightly cheating :P
  • WhittRak
    WhittRak Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My husband and I instead of "giving" up anything material, we have come up with a Lent Challenge. We are aiming to loose 10 lbs. by the end of lent :) Should be a fun time
  • emdeegan
    emdeegan Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1.) communicating with my ex.. although we're not a couple we still act like one....
    2.) bread
    3.) adding daily 30 minute walks and or jogs
    4.) all fast food

i have debated giving up diet coke.. but i just dont have it in me...
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I started lent on Sunday as an easier way of setting my diary up and making sure I stick to things... so no pancakes for me today had mine Sunday!

I'm giving up chocolate in the candy form... Protein powder flavoured as choc is OK!
    Honey.... because I over do it and is as bad as sugar for calories etc!
    Apples... because the quantity I eat give me gut-ache and end up being high in sugar and calories. That fructose is pretty hard for me to digest too. Plus they're my easy way of binge eating. This way I'll eat less and help discipline myself better to not binge and "get away with it because they're healthy".
    Alcohol - although this isn't hard as I seldom drink, why drink your calories when you can eat them, plus stops workout performance, is expensive and I have more fun sober!

Any cream cakes/biscuits etc no way... Will just eat bananas and rye crackers as a form of energy/sweet snack.

NO TREATS BECAUSE IT IS LENT AND IT'S MEANT TO BE TOUGH! Jesus went cold turkey supposedly and went on a full on fast so I'm going to be sensible and not fast because I won't be able to function. but cut back everywhere and take away all indulgences/treats... except maybe for March 28th which is when I'm due to graduate. Discipline.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    Last year I gave up a message board that I spent WAY too much time on, and I never really went back. I bet that saved me at least 15 hours a week! Other years I've given up magazines (an expensive habit) and shopping for clothes (another expensive habit).

I thought about giving up booze but we have a several events where it just won't be practicable, or it will just make me angry. Plus, I have no desire to give up liquor long-term.

So this year I'm giving up sweets (biscuits, cookies, cakes, ice cream, chocolate), but I'm going to build a better habit by having flavoured yoghurt instead. It's filling, has fewer calories than chocolate or cakes, and it's so much better for me.
  • Sarena3
    Sarena3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Well I have to make a decision soon obviously but I've been thinking of trying something different this year. I was thinking of trying to give up something negative that might result in adding something positive for those around me. I was thinking of trying to give up something like complaining or criticizing or procrastinating. These three are real toughies for me so I guess that's why I haven't made the final decision yet. Good topic. Looking forward to what others have to say.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I declared to my friends yesterday I was giving up the scale for lent. won't weigh in for the 40days, actually looking forward to it, as I stopped weighing on Sunday already
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    I read someone was giving up the scale. I thought about it but my HRM prompts me to say my weight every week- if I did not get on the scale it would not be accurate.

that was me friend :) lol
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    This is a tough one!! I usually have what I'm giving up for lent decided weeks in advance, and this year, I feel, is flying by!!! I normally do things like give up fast food, soda, etc. but this year I think I am going to do something different.

2 Timothy 3:16 says - All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness

I think this year for lent, I am going to try to be more dilligent in prayer and worship,and showing those around me the love of the lord. I feel like the past couple of months I've gotten so caught up with everything around me, I've lost track of these things.

Oh...and I should probably try to give up procrastination....