Anyone losing weight AND giving up smoking?

Options
It's the double-whammy , I'm thinking all those cravings for sweets will kick-in. Perhaps it's best to try one of the things at a time.

So is anyone in this particular nightmare zone?

Replies

• jlhill7
    jlhill7 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have been trying. No success on the smoking part. I keep trying. Wished I had encouraging words for you. It is going to be hard no matter what. Good luck!!!!
  • lappyd425
    lappyd425 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I haven't yet....but need to...Figure I'll lose the last few pounds and then try while I maintain.....( which makes me nervous )
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i dropped an extra 20 pounds before quitting smoking in June of 2008.

used Allen Carr's easy way method to quit, though, so i did not gain the weight back.
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was there 7 months ago. Quiting smoking made me feel like a raging you know what for like a month. When I started working out it seemed to help with the irritability. I would say I started eating more at first. I just had to keep myself busy cleaning, working out anthing to keep your mind off of food or smoking. I promise it will get better though. I have stopped for 7 months now and I feel so much better. Its tough though. Stay strong!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking last November, mainly because I was in hospital. Since then I've had a couple of cigarettes, I might smoke one a month but I also revamped my diet with a view to losing weight beginning January and I am losing weight. I don't find I want to eat more. I keep a bottle of water with me at all times, I find that helps.
  • Amanda0325
    Amanda0325 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    gave up smoking a year ago this past January.. its been rough but doable.. you'll be able to perform much better without cigarettes.. i can run 3.5 miles now.. i couldn't even dream of running a half a mile when i was smoking... its much better to be cigarette free.
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about quitting but that is as far as I get. I think quitting will be the toughest thing I will ever have to do in my life and I am not up for it yet. Anyone that has quit I would love to know how you did it. It does seem so hypicritical to be eating heallthy, exercising and then light up. It is tough but I am not ready yet.
  • dida0721
    dida0721 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking first. It sure does make exercising easier. I used the nicoteen gum. It help me alot. I still want a cig most days though and I've been smoke free for 14 months and gum free for 11 months.
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Oh I should have said I used the patches for like a month. They really helped. I dont know if I would have made it cold turkey.
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I tried to do both for years and ALWAYS bombed at both!

Eventually realized it was impossible for ME to conquer both beasts at one time, and I smoked 2 packs a day for 15 years :(

Took the year of 2011 to conquer smoking, last cigarette was Jan 10, 2011.

I am taking 2012 to conquer the weight, I have lost 30 pounds so far.

Good luck my friend, I would suggest taking smoking first, because you will not have the lung capacity for a successful workout while smoking. Conquer smoking, and then tackle serious weight loss. You will be shocked the more cardio you do after quitting, you will literally sweat nicotine off of your body. When I started working out after quitting I could actually smell the nicotine after I was done, my trainer said it poisons every piece of you, including your skin. So your skin has to flush the poisons as well.
  • brenteesha
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about smoking cessation drugs? Hopefully the appetite won't be as bad if your cravings aren't as bad... check into it.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Well I've been losing weight successfully for a few months now.. I've lost 31lbs and today is my quitting day.. 21/02/2012 <-- the date is a palindrome therefore significant and I will remember it.

Hopefully I'll be able to do it!
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    mmmm ive tried but still have a wee sneaky smoke now n then.........
  • eatherhey
    eatherhey Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking 8 months ago, but just gave up nicotine last week. It's not as hard as I thought it would be! I think it would be harder battling both the physical and the chemical addiction at the same time.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I quit January this year - using Allen Carr's Easy Way book (so did my husband!), and then I read his Lose Weight Now book and the pounds are droppin' like flies. I luff him.
  • musky4
    musky4 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    LOL - actually I am - I started MFP in June? didnt get serious till August -
    told myself that if i lost 25 pounds then i'd quit smoking -
    well - i lost the 25 set a date to quit (2nd anniversary of my dad's death /lung cancer)
    - umm - STRESS at home and well - i didnt succeed. - so -
    over the new years weekend - i said that will be it!!
    i had planned to exercise (like mad) whenever i wanted a smoke -
    (i should have had another back up plan) -
    long story short - i hurt my foot (on crutches) but STILL remained quit -
    (i did ...have cig on way to ER and that night - but said NO MORE)
    so not Jan 1 (as i would have been doomed for sure) - but Jan 2 2012
    i have NOT had a smoke - i do use Chantix but NOT the full dose -
    i don't need to - i FEEL healthier - and seriously - it STINKS -
    my goodness i smell it on ppl and its just ... gross!!! i do crave it every now again -
    but i am resolved that i am now a nonsmoker! (quitnet .com? .org? unsure -
    are great for helpful insights!!)
    GOOD LUCK - YOU CAN DO IT - MAKE IT YOUR PERSONAL GOAL -
    find a healthy replacement (flossing) / walking/ deep breaths - heck all of it if you need to !!
    i should say that because of my foot i did gain back 13 # - but now w/corizone shots -
    i can walk and it doesnt hurt - i am back on track!!
  • irvinedbs
    Options
    Oh yes indeedy. I'm one of the crazy folks who loves to give themselves challenges such as the hell of not smoking and cutting down too. I found it quite difficult, but not impossible. Haven't smoked since October (takes a bow) but had managed cravings through eating. Was rather challenging to put down my comfort food.

If you want a challenge - this is it. It can be done, but you need to take protective steps. If you use the old favourites such as drinking more water, chewing gum and nibbling on veggies it will help. A treat is good to reward yourself after milestones such as 1 day off, 1 week off etc. Whatever your poison is (wine, cheese, crisps, chocolate) allow yourself a little as a reward. Nothing is impossible.

You can do it!!

:bigsmile: x D
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am. I cut down to 5 a day a couple years ago (though the number can fluctuate a little). A few serious attempts in 2011 and failed. I wanted to quit, deal with a little weight gain if that happened, and then work on my diet and exercise. My 2012 strategy is the opposite. I'm hoping that a full lifestyle change, clean diet and regular exercise, will be the final catayst I need to ditch the cigs. I was working out first thing in the morning, which helped me eliminate the morning smoke, as it really affects my morning workout negatively if I've just smoked, but last week I went back to work, so I don't work out til the afternoon. Right now all I do is the elliptical, but eventually....I want to RUN!
    I really want to ditch them for good! I think if I can get in tip top shape, eventually it just won't make sense to be smoker anymore.
    Or, I will get to a point in my fitness program where I can't go any further unless I give them up. I want it to be easy at that point. I'm visualizing it, talking myself into it. Kind of like jumping off the high dive when you are a little kid. That's all I've got! LOL Wish I had better advice at this point.
    Good luck!
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 4 yrs ago, and lost 10lbs! I think it was the vitamin C that saved me! When I had a craving I would take one and have a glass of water. The vitamin C (only 10 a day) and water flushes out all the bad stuff! You can do it! Good luck!
  • Whodatgirl77
    Whodatgirl77 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I can't say enough about Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. If anyone is looking to quit, I would urge you to read it. It was truly a game changer for me. Good luck!