I want to be firm!

Options
Hi everyone I am looking for some tips and advice on how to start a routine to really tone up. I search a few threads on here but not had much look.

Basically my story is ...i lost 3 1/2 stone and i have another 7 pounds until my goal weight but they dont seem to want to budge-(well its a very slow process) but if i cant lose them Its ok as I am happy with where I am now.

Anyways .. I am still very wobbly ... and would like to firm my flab ! ha! .. i do alot of cardio and i think its time for me to lessen the cardio and start a weights routine and strength exercises.. i dont want to be skinny fat ! i want to be slim and firm.

So any advice on how to plan my routine would be great .. my problem areas are .. the tops of my arms..tummy..butt and hips!

Replies

• FionaHelen
    FionaHelen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Gillian Micheals workouts are fab for toning, i also love kettlebell workouts and have seen a dramatic change in toning up since i have been doing them! Good luck! x
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have been weight training, and I am seeing some definition now which is really great :D You can see from my photos the difference!

Have at look at my exercise from yesturday - this is pretty much my whole routine - takes about an hour and a half (so you can do half of it one day and half of it the next if you dont have that much time every day)

You cannot spot reduce, so you have to lose fat across the body to firm up!! Start taking measurements - they'll really show you results!! xx
  • kylesmommy89
    kylesmommy89 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Gillian Micheals workouts are fab for toning, i also love kettlebell workouts and have seen a dramatic change in toning up since i have been doing them! Good luck! x

I second Jillian videos! I can't sing her praises enough, I swear.
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    All the Bob Harper DVD's are amazinng at toning up!!! I have been doing them for 4 weeks now and already see and feel a huge difference! I'm doing the Bob Harper Inside Out Method.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a slight caloric deficit (weekly weight loss goal of 0.5 lbs/week), eat back most of the cals burned from exercise and start serious weight training. Strength training is really the best way to change your body composition.

don't worry you will not bulk up as women don't have enough testosterone, not to mention is not going to happen in a caloric deficit, what will happen with strength training on a slight caloric deficit is that you will retain your current muscle as you lose fat. doing cardio or light weights will cause you to most likely lose some muscle along with the fat.
  • m3g4nskyl3r
    Options
    BUMP
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    HEAVY lifting!! There are several great programs you can try - I like New Rules of Lifting for Women. You can check out the book from the library to learn more about it and there is a group here that you could join as well.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You can't firm flab... you can burn the fat over your muscles however...

Fat is fat and that's what wobbles when everything else is contracted. However, lifting heavy weights and some good cardio will help you shift it.
  • Srdking
    Srdking Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Jillian videos are amazing! I'm still losing fat but in my legs, arms I am toning up. In my shoulders it's obvious. In her videos we do some short cardio. We also use weights and and the workouts go by quick once you get them down. I don't listen to the scale, I take measurements. I have lost a lot of inches! I can tell you losing inches to me looks better than just the scale going down. I'm now in a size small shirt and small shorts. It's worth it at least for me it was. I'm still going to continue toning up my body. I just added more cardio to get the rest of my fat off. I am now doing 6 week 6 pack abs or something like that by jillian and my waist has dropped 7 inches since I started doing this workout. These workouts are no joke! I can't wait to see what my progress is in 2 weeks when I take my measurements again.

I wanted to add I am using 5 pound weights in my workouts at first it was killing me, now i'm doing ok with 5 pounds in each hand. I don't think I would have seen as good results with anything less than 5 pounds, but I am only speaking for myself.
  • aliciapenny
    aliciapenny Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    check out bodybuilding.com
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Slight calorie deficit (~300 calories) + HEAVY resistance training.

Get thee to the weight room! Checkout the book New Rules of Lifting for Women or Starting Strength. Also, bodybuilding.com has some workout plans too.
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!! i have four jillian dvd's and I LOVE HER! but became a bit bored so i decided to join a gym and make use of the weights and machines... but from the sounds of these posts maybe i should go back to jillian....i did feel firmer when i was using the dvd's...

il check out the links you guys posted :)
  • Louise12
    Louise12 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Also interesting that some of you are reccomending heavy lifting - i guess this is for the best results ?
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Also interesting that some of you are reccomending heavy lifting - i guess this is for the best results ?

This will lower you BF and give you visible results - definitely! I recommend!!
  • FionaHelen
    FionaHelen Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    use free weights rather than the machines in the gym, that way you can work more than one area at a time, hence a better burn!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    use free weights rather than the machines in the gym, that way you can work more than one area at a time, hence a better burn!

yeah, free weight or bodyweight excercises:D