inches, but no lbs - time to change it up?

Options
Hi everyone!

This is my first official post. I've been grazing this forum for all of its little morsels of info and encouragement.

I started MFP 33 days ago. Within the first week to week and a half, without exercise, I lost 3 1/2 lbs. About 3 weeks ago I started back up on my fitness routine that I had not been doing since last spring. I'm happy to say that within the first 16 days of using Les Mills Pump (new program for me, but loving it) and mixing it with Turbo Fire, I lost inches:

Chest = 1 1/2 inches
R Arm = 1/8 inch
L Arm = 1/8 inch
Waist = 1 1/4 inches
R Thigh = 1/4 inch
L Thigh = + 3/8 inch (actually got bigger, but now is the same size as my right thigh, go figure)

I weighed myself this morning, before my 30 day mark on Les Mills and ZERO lbs lost. I know I shouldn't be held up by the scale, but I would like to see a little movement. Hopefully when I measure myself again, there will be more inches lost to make up for this morning's disappointment. No more weighing or measuring until Feb 29th!

Do any of you suggest changing up my calorie intake if there is no change on the scale when I weigh again?

Even on a 1200 to 1300 cal intake, I have to force myself to eat all of it. I eat pretty clean too...fish, chicken, no bread-and if I do it's whole wheat, I drink tons of water and only water(12 to 15 glasses a day - sometimes more), oatmeal for breakfast, salads, shakeology for breakfast sometimes or just a snack. I could work on my veggies and fruits more, but I don't exclude them from meals or snacks.

I guess I would need suggestions in the food department too, I want to be as pro-active as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    INCHES are great! Pounds could be a number of things (TOM, higher sodium) ..... was this 1 weigh in? Don't get discouraged, lost inches means you're moving in the right direction.
  • jjclark529
    Options
    INCHES are great! Pounds could be a number of things (TOM, higher sodium) ..... was this 1 weigh in? Don't get discouraged, lost inches means you're moving in the right direction.

This was weigh in 2, technically. I weighed 1 1/2 weeks after starting MFP (without exercise) and saw that I lost 3 1/2 lbs. This last weigh in was the 1st after starting up my exercise program again (I was on my 3rd week of Les Mills/TurboFire hybrid).

I finished my TOM earlier this week, Tuesday to be exact, and I knew not to weigh myself during cause it would have shown a gain. I usually gain 3 to 5 lbs before and during. So if I did gain and lose, I'm right back at the weight I was after my 3.5 lb loss -- the weight I was my first weigh in, after starting MFP, but before starting to exercise again.
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    As long as you are losing inches it means it is working. No need to change things up unless you want to. The scale is not the only thing that matters.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    To get any suggestions on the food side of the equation it would be helpful if your food diary was open.
  • jjclark529
    Options
    As long as you are losing inches it means it is working. No need to change things up unless you want to. The scale is not the only thing that matters.

That's what I keep telling myself, but I have such a mental struggle with the scale not moving.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take photos and compare them. The number on the scale fluctuates. Measuring is imprecise. (Did I pull the tape tighter? Is it in the same place?) Clothes sometimes shrink in the wash and stretch as you wear them. The mirror... we're all our own worst critics in the mirror!

Take photos in a bikini or underwear or sports bra and shorts, and don't delete them no matter how much you hate them. Stick them aside. In a month, take more photos. Crop your head off it it makes you look at it more objectively. You will see a difference, no matter what's going on with the scale.
  • jjclark529
    Options
    Take photos and compare them. The number on the scale fluctuates. Measuring is imprecise. (Did I pull the tape tighter? Is it in the same place?) Clothes sometimes shrink in the wash and stretch as you wear them. The mirror... we're all our own worst critics in the mirror!

Take photos in a bikini or underwear or sports bra and shorts, and don't delete them no matter how much you hate them. Stick them aside. In a month, take more photos. Crop your head off it it makes you look at it more objectively. You will see a difference, no matter what's going on with the scale.

I did take pics and will take another set at my 30 day mark. Thanks!
  • cressievargo
    cressievargo Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    You may also need to change your calorie intake (probably higher, esp. if you are not eating back any exercise calories). You want to make sure those inches you are losing are FAT and not muscle!!!

Great job !
  • jjclark529
    Options
    You may also need to change your calorie intake (probably higher, esp. if you are not eating back any exercise calories). You want to make sure those inches you are losing are FAT and not muscle!!!

Great job !

Thanks! One thing that I haven't been doing consistently is taking my multi-vitamin that I got from BeachBody called ActiVit. It is supposed to help with metabolism too. I've been taking it every day for the last 4 or 5 days and jumped on the scale the last three days and lost a little over a pound in 3 days. So maybe that was my issue. I'm going to keep my routine and not weigh myself again (promise this time!) until the 29th, which is my official and originally scheduled weigh in/measurement day.

Thanks for the support and suggestions!
  • JetFixer
    JetFixer Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The reason you are not seeing the scale move is due to water. When a person begins a workout routine that taxes the muscles more than what they are used to, the muscles will store extra glycogen (in water) in the muscle tissue. The purpose of this is to store more energy in the muscles because they are preparing for your next workout. So basically, you could call it water retention, but this is good water retention (has nothing to do with sodium). The added glycogen/water in the muscles allow them to do more work the next time you work out. Added water/glycogen will continue to build in your muscles for as long as 3 months. During this timeframe its important to take the readings on the scale with a grain of salt. If you are exercising and eating the way MFP outlines, just keep plugging away with what you're doing! Nice job on the loss of inches, BTW!!!!
  • jjclark529
    Options
    The reason you are not seeing the scale move is due to water. When a person begins a workout routine that taxes the muscles more than what they are used to, the muscles will store extra glycogen (in water) in the muscle tissue. The purpose of this is to store more energy in the muscles because they are preparing for your next workout. So basically, you could call it water retention, but this is good water retention (has nothing to do with sodium). The added glycogen/water in the muscles allow them to do more work the next time you work out. Added water/glycogen will continue to build in your muscles for as long as 3 months. During this timeframe its important to take the readings on the scale with a grain of salt. If you are exercising and eating the way MFP outlines, just keep plugging away with what you're doing! Nice job on the loss of inches, BTW!!!!

Yes. I've read that elsewhere on this forum. I try to keep that in mind too. I do know that I am peeing every hour on the hour, it seems and have been doing so for the last week to two weeks. It drives me nuts, but I'd rather it come on out than retain it!

I've also read where some people hit their 4th or 5th week in their routine and everything starts to change....the lbs start melting away so I'm hopeful that I'm at that stage. I know everyone's bodies are different, but I have my fingers crossed that I'm a part of that crowd.

Thanks!
  • JetFixer
    JetFixer Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Yes. I've read that elsewhere on this forum. I try to keep that in mind too. I do know that I am peeing every hour on the hour, it seems and have been doing so for the last week to two weeks. It drives me nuts, but I'd rather it come on out than retain it!

I've also read where some people hit their 4th or 5th week in their routine and everything starts to change....the lbs start melting away so I'm hopeful that I'm at that stage. I know everyone's bodies are different, but I have my fingers crossed that I'm a part of that crowd.

Thanks!

Fingers crossed for you and myself as well because I am in the exact same spot you are! 4th week wishing the scale would move even just a lil!!!!
  • danihonline
    Options
    I saw a great graphic on Pinterest the other day that keeps me motivated. 5 lbs of fat on your body visually is like carrying around 3 large grapefruits, while 5 lbs of muscle are like 3 small tangerines. So if you aren't losing the lbs but losing the inches you are gaining in muscles which will in time burn more fat!
  • jjclark529
    Options

Thanks!

Fingers crossed for you and myself as well because I am in the exact same spot you are! 4th week wishing the scale would move even just a lil!!!!

You've lost 16 lbs already. Good for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you too.
  • jjclark529
    Options
    I saw a great graphic on Pinterest the other day that keeps me motivated. 5 lbs of fat on your body visually is like carrying around 3 large grapefruits, while 5 lbs of muscle are like 3 small tangerines. So if you aren't losing the lbs but losing the inches you are gaining in muscles which will in time burn more fat!

Thanks! I hope that the "in time" is now!
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'll never understand why people don't get as fired up over losing inches as they do losing poundage.
  • jjclark529
    Options
    I'll never understand why people don't get as fired up over losing inches as they do losing poundage.

I'm stoked about the inches lost within just 16 days! I just like the combo of lbs and inches. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It'll happen......patience grasshopper.
  • alisteph
    alisteph Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The batteries in my scale went out more than a month ago. I was addicted to weighing myself daily. I would get angry when the #s didn't change (for the better) daily. I decided not to put new batteries in my scale. So I've been eating well (one cheat meal/week) and exercising 6 days/week. I measured myself yesterday. And in about 4-5 weeks of dieting/exercising, I've lost 6 inches overall. I feel better. My clothes fit better. I'm not discouraged by the scale. Eventually I will replace the batteries...maybe in another month or so, when I know the number will more likely reflect my true progress.
  • lgomez75
    lgomez75 Posts: 115
    Options
    great post jetfixer...im in the same boat as the original poster...so it was refreshing to hear the water info.

thnx!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!