Feeling Guilty...Please Help

leighoconnell
leighoconnell Posts: 217
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
So for the first couple of weeks I was hungry all the time, which is to be expected since I cut my calories from 3500 to 1200. I lost 10 lbs so far too. However, I am still eating 1200 calories and no longer starving but I feel guilty all the time, like somehow I am eating to much but when I review my diary I haven't even made it to 1200 calories. Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Guilty for eating, no way!!! You have to make this a real life habit change. You can't spend the rest of your life feeling guilty for fueling your body :drinker:

Great job on the awesome start, now keep going, make sure you eat AT LEAST 1200 a day, no excuses!!!

No guilt...got it? :flowerforyou:
  • shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    I feel like this sometimes, too. The other day I had about 600 calories left to eat and I just wasn't hungry at all but I ate most of them anyway because I didn't want to be starving once it caught up with me in the next day or two. There have actually been studies done where if you cut your calories dramatically you become obsessed with it and start feeling guilty even eating what you're supposed to(case and point the two of us). Just remember that if you start eating less than 1200 you won't be getting enough nutrients and it will be unhealthy. Even if you do lose weight from it, it won't stick because as soon as you eat again you'll gain all the weight back (Trust me I've been there. I used to eat 800 calories a day and while i did lose weight as soon as I started trying to get healthy i gained it all back and more).

I'm not sure if any of this helped but I just wanted you to know that you're not alone! Keep up the good work and keep eating all your calories! :flowerforyou:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    I used to be like that... especially staying away from starches.
    Now I just get a good workout in and I am eating my starches again and not feeling bad about it at all :)
  • carriedkline
    carriedkline Posts: 19 Member
    I am the same way. 1200 calories is so hard for me to stick to right now. I feel like I want more than that but when I do eat, I feel guilty for some reason. I have been doing this for a week now and haven't lost a single pound but I am going to try and stick it out and hopefully will see some progress.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    That is a common problem and all I can say is that it will take time. Your body needs the calories to become and stay healthy (including losing extra weight). For now just have faith and eat the 1,200 calories (more if you exercise vigourously). As you continue to see more and more succeess, that negative mindset will change and you will no longer feel guilty.:flowerforyou:
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    It's not just about the calories, but it's about the quality of the food. So if you are putting 1200 calories of junk food in your mouth, then you should feel guilty! But remember our body is a machine that needs fuel. We are surrounded by media images of unhealthy, skinny women (and a lot of airbrushing) and are told that if you just eat less, you'll be thin. Well, that's not really true. My hubby who is very overweight went down to eating about 1200 calories a day and ate one meal a day, thinking he was going on a crash diet. He gained 100 pounds. He went from being a little overweight to a LOT overweight.

This is the first time in my entire life that I have been successful at losing more than 30 pounds and not gaining it back right away. I'm at maintenance right now because I plateaued for 3 mos and decided to give my body a break. Interestingly, 2 weeks in of "maintenance" and I've lost 3 pounds. go figure! But it did prove to me that I can keep this weight off, that I am in control.

Your mindset is the warning sign that you may be developing an unhealthy view of food - aka an eating disorder - so be sure to keep on top of it. A few weeks of feeling guilty because your mind hasn't grasped that "less is not better" is normal... but more than that, and it could be signs of a problem.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    I definitely don't have a problem eating my 1200 calories. I have been doing this a couple of weeks now and have lost 7 lbs. I was in fear that I would feel guilty too; however, I don't. I think the biggest thing for my not feeling guilty is because of what I eat. The choices I make are healthy ones not junk. I eat tons of fruit, veggies with ranch, sauteed veggies, meat of all types, eggs, etc. If I'm short on calories, I will have a piece of toast or an apple with peanut butter. I have replaced chips with carrots or celery but I still have a sandwich if I want it.

If you are eating right then there is absolutely nothing to feel guilty about.

Hang in there, you will get past this in no time at all.

210557.png
  • I eat very healthy actually. Better than I've eaten in my whole life however I do have a passion for chocolate so I slip on tiny little law fat brownie in a day. But for the most part I stick to fruit, boneless skinless chicken, and vegetables.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I absolutely feel the same way. We have food guilt...I guess that goes with the territory.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    I feel the same way completely. The only time I don't feel guilty for my calories is when I workout. But at the same time, I have a really hard time trying to eat the calories I've earned for exercise. Still trying to work through that.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    So for the first couple of weeks I was hungry all the time, which is to be expected since I cut my calories from 3500 to 1200. I lost 10 lbs so far too. However, I am still eating 1200 calories and no longer starving but I feel guilty all the time, like somehow I am eating to much but when I review my diary I haven't even made it to 1200 calories. Does anyone else have this problem?
    Yup. I can get soooo bad that I get nuts when I eat more than 600 calories! Its kind of a dangerous path, which is why I love it here. All the other diets failed, and this is the first time I've eaten so much and lost weight. I am determined to not get that crazy ever again!! I hope I can keep that up after a few months....
This discussion has been closed.