Auto immune issues and diet changes?

Options
I'm curious if other MFP folks have auto immune disorders and if you've found relief with removing or limiting certain foods. I have both psoriatic arthritis and Sjogren's. I just recently found about the Sjogren's and have flared off and on for the last couple months as my doc is regulating the medication. I've heard some good things about removing or limiting grains and positive effective on auto immune. Curious what feedback others may have.

Replies

• silvereyes6
    Options
    I am a Celiac, which is an autoimmune disease that means I have to completely cut Gluten out of my diet (as you probably know). I've noticed a huge change in my concentration and motivation since (including the motivation to get in shape). As far as Arthritis goes I'm not very well versed, but I would recommend getting allergy tested to see if you have any sensitivities to food or environmental toxins that could be aggravating your symptoms. There are lots of great naturopaths that can offer this service, as well as treatment, but there are also a lot of quasi scammers out there, so be careful when it comes to spending too much money on unnecessary treatments. I hope this is helpful!
  • garp4
    garp4 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have ulcerative colitis. I have pretty much (since late December) cut out processed foods. I still have bread and yogurt. I tried to eat a fiber one bar a few weeks ago and I paid for it all night long. Granted it could have been caused by the high fiber, but it was also very processed.

I went to being in the bathroom on average six times a day to about two. I still have a problem with raw veggies, but I can at least manage eating a salad now without worrying about the rest of the day.
  • jrose74
    Options
    I have psoriatic arthritis also.....I have not eliminated food from my diet but I did start taking an iron supplement do to mild to moderate anemia. Before this I was having months of unrelieved pain and my methotrexate was no longer helping ( I am on the max dose) The iron pill has done the trick for my pain and also my restless leg syndrome. I have not heard of any diet restrictions that will help but there is a great book about Psoriasis and the natural healing........ Natural Healing of Psoriasis and it mentions the arthritis in there. Good Luck!
  • layviae
    Options
    i have chromes deisese which was caught in the very early stages (thank god) that im treating purely with diet and stress management.
    i had to cut down on the processed foods and can no longer have fast food or take aways. i have to be very careful what i chose when i eat out.
    mostly i prepare and bring both my breakfast and lunch to work with me and have my food diary filled in the night before so im prepared with what im planning to eat. (only just discovered mfp before that ive been doing weight watchers and im down 59 pounds since january 2011)
    if i do have a flare up ive noticed (through keeping a food diary) that when i eat fish it can help so i try to eat fish 2-3 times a week
    i also take some medication when i need it for example times of high stress like exams but i would only take it 3-4 times a year.
    i know my chromes is going to get worse as i get older and its highly likely that ill be placed on medication for the rest of my life but im trying to delay that as long as possible by good diet choices
    my advice would be keep a food diary and keep a diary of your symptoms and try to see if theres a pattern for when it gets worse and hopefully youll notice something that also makes it better
  • DQMD
    DQMD Posts: 193
    Options
    I have Celiacs also and will not eat anything with Gluten in it. I get SO very ill when I eat it.

I don't really like the Gluten free food. It kind of tastes like sawdust.
  • OlibecaMom
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your personal information with me. It's helpful, at least, to know I'm not alone. I track my food on mfp but need to be better about putting notes about how I'm feeling (flares, etc) as well.
  • silvereyes6
    Options
    Have you Tried Udi's brand baked goods? Quite tasty in my opinion!
  • etxgal
    etxgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have several auto-immune issues - Hashimoto's Thyroidosis and AIH (Auto-immune Hepatitis in which my body has severly damaged my liver). I am also dealing with Type 2 Diabetes, Arthritis (up and down my back), as well as a few other issues. Trying to watch my diet using MyFitnessPal and now activity using Skimble (which is a fitness guide/tracker). Looking at dietary changes next. I have friends doing Vegan or Paleo diets and they are having very good responses. Anything other than what I have been doing in the past can only help...RIGHT??
  • etxgal
    etxgal Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I also recently heard of Rise Bars (www.risebar.com), which are gluten free and are made of very few ingredients so very healthy and organic. Some are even vegan. Might be worth a try and can be bought online or in a few stores in the DFW Metroplex including Sprouts. They have a BOGO coupon on their website, so I am definately going to check them out.