What is your Vacation Style?

Options
DL121004
DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
Some people like just relax, some like to be active.

Some like to hang by the beach, some like to camp/hike, some like 5 star hotels and highly rated restaurants. Some like to do sightseeing -- taking in museums, etc. Of course, some like to mix things up as well, doing something more active sometimes, less active others.

Me?

I *love* cycle touring. Cycling is my exercise of choice, and cycle touring gives one a way to see a region in a way that most people don't when traveling by other means. I also incorporate a hefty dose of photography -- a non-fitness passion of mine -- when cycle touring. Also, cycle touring is a great way to burn off Calories when you cycle tour in places with great food!

So, what is your vacation style??

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I take vacations where I can be outdoors and do outdoor activities. I also only plan vacations that I can take my dogs on, so I pretty much limit myself to destinations that are no more than a three day drive away.
  • Lauracork2005
    Lauracork2005 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Thailand in May for 13 weeks to train Muay Thai.
  • Shanphichloe
    Options
    Cycle touring sounds like lots of fun!

For me, in winter it's all about escaping for a week with my husband down south. Away from our 3 kids (the only week in the year that we take for ourselves), the business, work and so on.

Summer, it's camping season near the beach with our camper. Lots of sun, beach, community activities and whatever our kids feel like doing.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm going to Thailand in May for 13 weeks to train Muay Thai.

That sounds cool! Have fun! I'd like to cycle tour Thailand and Vietnam one day!
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like organized tours, museums and parks. I like to walk/hike, learn something or just relax awhile in a quiet place. I'd like to try a cruise or rent a rustic cabin in the Smokey Mountains.
    I avoid crowds, heavy traffic, stress, beaches or too much noise.
    (I hope my Husband reads this!)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Our vacations are come what may. We go to the mountains in Tenn. and the beaches in Myrtle Beach and don't plan a thing. We love to explore the areas. The breeze of the beach and the beauty of the mountains. Just do nothing but take it all in!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I like to be active... walking hiking kayaking swimming horseback riding... yup that's my style :bigsmile:
  • Mel1509
    Mel1509 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I love going away to anywhere warm and with a beach, however, I do like to add some adventure into my vaca's, in Costa Rica we went zip lining, horse back riding, atving and rafting :) The pool bar doesn't hurt either!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'm a camper. I like road trips.
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I'm a mix. I think it all depends on what the location has to offer as well. I'm going to Hawaii in September and plan to do a fair amount of hiking. When I go to Miami though, I like to just take in the beach and check out the shops. When I visit Chicago to see a friend, we just do "normal" friend stuff since we don't see each other often.

I guess I don't have one set style!
  • Kristiina67
    Kristiina67 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Active ones. We usually go skiing in the winter and hiking during summer months. -- I am also a hotel snob :D
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    If just camping the bikes come too. But cycle touring this year too - whole family doing Loire Velo
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    camping, road trips, the beach, cottage rentals. we stay active by going to parks, museums etc. lots of walking. our trips to quebec city always involve a least 15k a day with wandering around the city, up and down all the stair cases after each meal. i love it there.

recently in miami aside from the half marathon, i spent the day wandering south beach and checking out all the shops etc.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I like to plan my epic gluttony
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Walking along Seven Mile Beach in Negril, Jamaica, and swimming in the crystal clear ocean. :bigsmile:
  • magikfairygirl
    Options
    I like vacations that offer a mix of relaxation and adventure/activities. Cruising meets this need for us. It also gives us a chance to explore a place and decide if we would like to go there for a longer stay.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

I seriously plan my trips around food. Usually we end up using our vacations to visit family, and when we do that, we know where we like to eat and make sure to fit those faves in! this sounds bad, but really, we are soooo active when on vaca, it's not an issue. We go to MT and hike to a different waterfall every day. Or go to Chicago and spend hours walking. Or go to the lake house and kayak for a few hours each day. I like to be active, but i like to eat too!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options

I seriously plan my trips around food. Usually we end up using our vacations to visit family, and when we do that, we know where we like to eat and make sure to fit those faves in! this sounds bad, but really, we are soooo active when on vaca, it's not an issue. We go to MT and hike to a different waterfall every day. Or go to Chicago and spend hours walking. Or go to the lake house and kayak for a few hours each day. I like to be active, but i like to eat too!

I routinely come back from a week long vacation with 10 lbs of bloat, lol. I can really put down inhuman amounts of food when I let loose. (<
    the reason I got fat in the first place)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Laying on my lawn chair butt naked with a Margarita!
  • allysonb80
    allysonb80 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    A vacation is a vacation. I will take any vacation that comes! I love laying on the beach or going camping. Snorkling and being active or chilling around a campfire. Spas or fishing. I am game as long as it gets me away from "life" for a while.