The Best Whole wheat bread you'll ever put in your mouth.

Options
DiannaMoorer
DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
Note: I have tried many different ways to make bread. I have changed and modified the recipe till I found this perfect combination of ingredients, to make the the lightest, tastiest whole wheat bread you'll ever eat.
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs (I use duck eggs) at room temperature.
100 % whole wheat flour

Two cups milk. ( any kind) Even buttermilk.
One stick butter. Yes butter. NOT margarine or oil.
3/4 cup sugar. Any kind. Honey,brown sugar, white, molasses,even maple syrup. My favorite is honey. Don't skimp on the sugar. The yeast needs something to eat and needs this amount.

Warm milk,butter,sugar, in small pot till butter is melted and sugar is dissolved. Do NOT boil. Don't worry if the milk get lumpy. It wont hurt the taste.
Cool to luke warm. Stick finger in mixture to test.
Add 3 teaspoons yeast. Make sure it's not old. Stir til dissolved. Let sit until foamy.

I then pour it into my kitchen aid mixer bowl and start adding the 100% whole wheat flour,1/2 cup at a time. With mixer speed at 2 and using the dough hook. After about 3 cups add the eggs one at a time. Add salt. Keep adding the flour until the dough sticks to dough hook and not to the side of the bowl. It should not be too sticky.
Remove dough and place in an oiled large bowl. Make sure the dough is oiled all over as well. Cover with light cloth. Let rise until doubled in a warm, draft free room. Place dough on board. Cut in half evenly. Kneed until smooth. Form into two smooth loaves. Place in oiled bread pans. oil top of loaves. Let rise til doubled in warm room. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. It will be lightly browned all over. Let cool till you can handle pans then remove from pans to finish cooling.
Enjoy!!!

Replies

• sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bump thanks for posting this
  • claudiandw
    claudiandw Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    How much whole wheat flour?
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BiggGrizz
    BiggGrizz Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    ooo i have to try this! thanks for the recipe :)
  • awb_lrb
    awb_lrb Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump - i'll have to try this. None of my whole wheat bread attempts have given very satisfactory results. Thanks.
  • catic
    catic Posts: 156
    Options
    What is 1 stick of butter. how much is that? We don't use sticks in Canada.
    And how much flour?
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    Bump! YUMMY
  • ImChar
    ImChar Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome--uhhh...are we talking the whole bag of flour? And can you use other flours (brown rice, garbanzo/fava bean flour, etc)?
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    And how much flour?

1 stick is a 1/4 pound
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    And how much flour?

1 Stick equals 8 Tablespoons
  • cindysess
    cindysess Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very healthy. Do you have a calorie count on it, and how many servings?
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    From a 100% whole wheat recipe from my a bread machine cookbook I have, it is probably over 5 cups. The oil porporion seems double what is needed, and the sugars seem a bit high too. Sounds yummy, maybe something I would make as a bread every now and then, but personally it's probably a bit too high in calories for me to use everyday .

According to the recipe I have in front of me for a 2lb 100% whole wheat loaf , it's 1c water 7/8 c milk, 3T oil, 1/3c sugar (molasses), 5c flour, 1/4c gluten, 2 1/4 teasp salt, 1T+1/2tsp SAF yeast or 1T+1t bread machine yeast.
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Assumming 5 cups flour, chicken eggs, white sugar, skim milk, and that it makes 2 loavs that yield 16 slices each:
    cal:117 Total fat: 3.5 Sat fat: 2 carbs: 19 fiber 2.3 protein:3.4 per 1 piece serving.

Add 3.2 calories per slice for each quarter cup flour over 5 cups.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    And how much flour?
    One stick of butter will equal 1/2 cup of butter.
    I don't measure the flour. I add until the flour doesn't stick to the sides of the bowl any more. It should not be sticky. But not dry either. Maybe about 5 cups.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    From a 100% whole wheat recipe from my a bread machine cookbook I have, it is probably over 5 cups. The oil porporion seems double what is needed, and the sugars seem a bit high too. Sounds yummy, maybe something I would make as a bread every now and then, but personally it's probably a bit too high in calories for me to use everyday .

According to the recipe I have in front of me for a 2lb 100% whole wheat loaf , it's 1c water 7/8 c milk, 3T oil, 1/3c sugar (molasses), 5c flour, 1/4c gluten, 2 1/4 teasp salt, 1T+1/2tsp SAF yeast or 1T+1t bread machine yeast.

I have done a lot of experimenting and so far this works the best. I have been making this bread for over ten years now. I eat it every day and I'm still losing weight. If you must cut back on something cut back on the butter. You need 3/4 cup sugar for the yeast.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Sounds awesome--uhhh...are we talking the whole bag of flour? And can you use other flours (brown rice, garbanzo/fava bean flour, etc)?

I have only used whole wheat flour. You could experiment and see what happens. and No, not the whole bag of flour. It might come out to 5 cups but I don't measure. I just add until the dough is not sticking to the dough hook any more and it is not sticky.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    Doesn't sound very healthy. Do you have a calorie count on it, and how many servings?

It is very healthy. Full of fiber, protein, calcium, No hydrogenated oils. No white flour. The sugar is needed. I like honey or molasses best. The yeast must feed on something to make the bread light. To make it rise. If you must cut back on something add less butter. But don't use the fake stuff.
  • DiannaMoorer
    Options
    How much whole wheat flour?

I don't measure the flour. I just add until the dough is not sticking to the sides of the bowl anymore. It should not be sticky. But don't add too much, the bread will get heavy.