Smoothies - w/ no banana's

Options
anyone have any smoothie recipes that they enjoy, without banana's in them? I'm prediabetic and banana's raise my blood sugar.
I'm looking for something I can make for a snack after my workout, before dinner.

Thanks!

Replies

• japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use vanilla greek yogurt, berries, protein powder and some water (depending on how think it is), toss it all in my bullet, grab and go. I don't do bananas for the same reason.
  • abbeysadleir
    abbeysadleir Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know you want it before your workout but I have a breakfast smoothie that I make.
    1/3 cup of non fat plain yogurt
    1/2 cup of mixed berries (either strawberries or blueberries or both!)
    1 scoop of vanilla protein powder
    3 or 4 cubes of ice
    1/3 cup of green tea (instead of juice or milk)
    It totals up to around 177 calories, so it gives me the option of having a solid food at breakfast aswell!
    I used to make something similar with bananas, but found it was way to many calories /: look at my diary, i've had this smoothie for breakfast the past two days!
  • MNM1010
    MNM1010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When you say green tea.. is this tea you made from a tea bag and refrigerated or purchased? if purchased, what brand do you use? I'm not an experienced green tea drinker...

Thanks!
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    Thanks abbeysadler, Sounds like a great smoothie with less sugar. :flowerforyou:
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump! I'm allergic to bananas :)
  • abbeysadleir
    abbeysadleir Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Honestly any green tea would do I guess! You can hardly taste the tea if your not a fan, but you need some type of liquid in the blender for the other ingredients to mix!
    I would usually use loose leaf tea and then let it steep for a minute. No particular brand but right now i'm using Murchies Premium Tea and I think the exact type is something called Chun Mee?
    Any green tea though would work (:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I add raw cleaned spinach to all my smoothies. It looks GREEN yes, but you do not taste the spinach at all, I promise. Great way to get in the greens!!!! :)
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    My simple go to smoothie is 1 cup of any flavored yogurt and 1 cup of frozen fruit.. blend and enjoy!!
  • MNM1010
    MNM1010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of this, I just can't seem to find a recipe without banana's!!! What's your recipe?
  • schmje05
    schmje05 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am totally addicted to smoothie's! I have one every night for a snack (usually after my workout) and you really can't go wrong. Go to the frozen food section and buy any frozen fruit that you like, or freeze fresh fruit ( if your fruit is frozen you don't have to add ice) I usually do 2 cups of fruit. 1/4 cup of vanilla fat free greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of water, 1/4 cup of milk or tropicana trop 50 orange juice,and blend! i also like to add 2 tbsp of cool whip free on top to sweeten it up (only 15 calories) You can also add a scoop of protein powder, i like Jillian Michael's Vanilla Whey Protein powder.
  • creativefrugalmom
    creativefrugalmom Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use Jillian Micheals' vanilla shake powder and mix it with strawberries, blueberries, or whatever kind of berry I have around, add some ice cubes and a little water, blend in my bullet and it's ready to go.
  • wlgreen379
    Options
    I was noticing the same thing with the bananas and I have been thinking about getting rid of them in my smoothies. I've been using Almond Milk at 60 calories a cup along with Spinach, Banana, Protein Powder, and a tbsp of Peanut Butter. It's called the Green Monster, and it packs around 400 calories depending on the protein and peanut butter quantities. I may make a pitcher of green tea and start using that as a liquid instead.
  • rds532
    rds532 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was just going to ask this same question (although I do love bananas). I rec'd a magic bullet for Christmas and still have not tried it out yet so I'm looking for some ideas!
  • rdmchugh
    Options
    I do smoothies every morning. I am extremely sensitive to dairy (no yogurt) and do not like bananas. My winter smoothie is:

2 large organic honeycrisp apples
    1/4 package soft or silken organic tofu
    2 generous handfulls organic spinach
    1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
    8 oz Goodbelly or 1 package (80 ml) Goodbelly plus (add 8 oz water to the plus)

Yes, it makes a green smoothie, but you cannot taste the spinach.

My summer smoothie is:

1 fresh mango
    1/4 fresh organic pineapple
    1/4 package soft or silken organic tofu
    2 generous handfulls organic spinach
    8 oz Goodbelly or 1 package (80 ml) Goodbelly plus (add 8 oz water to the plus)

Cannot wait for summer to get here. Starting to see mangos again in the market, but waiting for the price to come down a bit.