Fish oil

ls_66
ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
I've tried different brands but always end up with heart burning issues, doc switched me to Lovazaa which I can stomach... biggest problem is $$$ even with insurance copay it's about $50 per bottle ouch.............. any recommendations with a fish oil pill that is gentle on your stomach ?

Replies

• linda4259
    linda4259 Posts: 4 Member
    I also take fish oil. But I have to take odorless, or I have stomach problems too. Also there are different mg. Try smaller mg, but more often
    :love:
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    I pay a butt load for all my vitamins and supplements even though I get them at cost. I take the best quality out there. I'd rather spend money on those things than something else. It's hard to find inexpensive awesome quality supplements for cheap. They don't all work the same no matter what the commercials say.
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Have you tried freezing them? I read an article that said that it helped people because the pill unthawed in the the digestive tract helping eliminate things like that. I take a lot of fish oil and I don't have that problem so I've never done to tell you if if really works or not.
  • You may want to try a plant based omega blend. I take a 3-6-9 blend from a brand called Udo's. They are super gentle on my stomach and I have not had any of the weird side effects associated with fish oil. Udo's in oil form costs me around $18 (I take the one with added DHA so it's a little more) for a 30 day supply and I think the capsule form is about the same.

At any rate it might be worth checking out :D
    http://www.udoerasmus.com/products/oil_blend_en.htm
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    GNC Triple Strength fish oil. Take one a day and no fishy taste or burps.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Do you try taking them with food?

Generally things are less harsh on your stomach/body when taken with other stuff.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member
    I take Carlson's omega-3 fish oil--haven't been able to find them at a grocery store, usually have to go to a specialty store like Sprouts or Whole Foods. They are supposedly "flavored", mine are lemon, but I don't taste anything. No gross burps or side effects or anything. My nutritionist said it's a really good brand, and it's not crazy expensive (pricier than most grocery store brands but not outrageous--like $17-18 a bottle). I take em 3 times a day :)
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    I've also heard that freezing them helps!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,810 Member

Generally things are less harsh on your stomach/body when taken with other stuff.

Oh yeah and this---I always take my vitamins with food.
  • divamsm
    divamsm Posts: 79 Member
    I take Natures Bounty Fish, Flax & Borage. It doesn't upset my stomach and it doesn't taste fishy. It is also an Omega 3-6-9 blend. It's reasonably priced and y:wink: ou can buy them at Kroger or CVS cheap when they have the buy 1 get 1 free sales periodically.
  • I too am on the Lovaza - i thnk it's making me gain weight too - i take four pills a day of it - horribly expensive even with insurance but i am told it's a more pure form than the over the counter - do you or anyone have any idea of the calorie counts???
  • I have issues with fish oil burps - lol. Any recommendations for that? Maybe I should also start freezing them...

on a side note - yesterday I accidently took my fish oil with my chewable vitamins and popped it open in my mouth - so gross! I had a stomache ache all day. :)
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    I take flax seed oil instead of fish oil. I have a lot of heart disease in my family and a very good cardiologist. He told me there are differences between the two, but studies have shown them to be neglible. So I do flax for my omega 3's. I know folks are going to weigh in with a lot of opinions debating the differences between flax and fish oil, but I'll take the opinion of a man who has over 30 years in cardiologoy thank you.
  • vegansara
    vegansara Posts: 192 Member
    I too am on the Lovaza - i thnk it's making me gain weight too - i take four pills a day of it - horribly expensive even with insurance but i am told it's a more pure form than the over the counter - do you or anyone have any idea of the calorie counts???

My fish oil supplement is 45 calories per teaspoon. It is just like any oil - high in calories. I don't know what brand mine is, but I order it through my nutritionist. And I take one teaspoon per day (when I remember).
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    I take 3000mg a day, all at night before I go to bed. My doctor said to take it this way so that if I had burps, it would be while I was asleep!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    I take two a day and had problems also for awhile. I now take them with a big slug of water. It must dilute the acid or something I don't know. I found when I took it in the morning it helped too. In the morning before breakfast with a big swig of water. Mine stopped. Something to try anyway.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Yes I take one pill in the morning with my breakfast