Is a HRM Really Worth it?

Options

Replies

• MJR819
    MJR819 Posts: 28
    Options
    Yeah, I'm not really set on one, but I'd definitely like to be more accurate than what's on this site or the apps on the phone that estimate calories based on average times, distance and such. I'm just as happy setting my goals based on distance and just bettering myself when I'm out hiking or walking or running.
  • jelicaa
    jelicaa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. I bought a Timex Ironman Triathalon...through Craigslist for $20! Included the chest strap. nothing wrong with and works awesome! Corresponds to what my bootcamp tells me I should be burning...between 500 and 800 calories per session. Before my HRM, I used MFP and it popped up with 320 calories...with HRM...I burn a consistent 700-850 calories per 45 minute bootcamp session, and 500-600 per 30 minute session. I use the HRM all the time - walking dogs, jogging, etc.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just relying on RPE has worked fine for me so far.

13438744.png
  • brasskim
    Options
    You don't need to spend a ton of money on an HRM. I have a Timex (T5G971) HRM for $39 from Amazon it works great. Gives me my average heart rate which I can then put in any heart rate calorie calculator to determine number of calories burned. Last night doing the 30 Day Shred, MFP and my HRM were off by one calorie burned.
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I bought a HRM (Polar) from Meijer for like $35-40….can’t remember exactly how much. It was the cheapest version. It doesn’t do anything fancy, but it tells me my average heart rate for the duration of my workout…and I look at it while I’m working out to gauge whether I need to kick it up or slow down. Once I know my avg. HR I just use Shape Sense…..where I plug in my sex/age/weight/avg heart rate/duration of workout (and there’s a second form where you can enter your VO2 Max as well) and it’s spits back my calories burned. I’ve used the long calculation and done the math myself and got the exact same answer so I trust it. I’ve found that MFP either underestimates or overestimates calories burned by a significant amount. I eat back my workout calories so I wanna know how much I can eat…I like to eat….so if MFP tells me I can only eat 200 more calories (which according to my HRM is wrong), then I’m a sad panda.

So I’d say I think it’s definitely a good investment.
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I love mine!!!!! I have all the bells and whistles, a gps watch, a heart monitor and foot pod. I love to get home and upload my workout to Garmin Connect. It is very motivating for me.

That said though there are good apps for the iPhone that track your run as well. They give feedback as you go along telling you time and distance, etc. there are ant+ attachments that also interact and you can even get a heart monitor. Wahoo for one, I know.

For me it is soooo motivational.

Jeri in Calgary.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Give this a look for the iphone crowd...

Bluetooth, no attachement needed for this hrm to work.

http://blog.runningwarehouse.com/running-accessories/wahoo-fitness-bluehr-heart-rate-monitor-strap/
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    A HRM is worth the investment.
    If you want accuracy go for Garmin or Wahoo or even Timex make a few that are pretty good
    Most HRM's like Polar only guess based on a few inputs and the rest is using generic calculations.
    Look for ones that allow you to not only enter your Age, Sex, etc. but resting heart rate and heart rate zones.
    But if you really don't care about accuracy just get something cheap and cheerful from a store that'll take it back after a few days if you're not happy.
  • kludgood
    kludgood Posts: 172
    Options
    i like it because when i begin to start eatting my exercise calories back i will have a more accurate amount ive actually burned. ive noticed that mfp numbers are sooo much higher than what i actually burned. so i got one that way im not over eatting my "exercise cals"
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    It is SO worth the investment.

It is way more accurate than the one on MFP.

I got mine for about $60 at Target. It is a New Balance one. The manual explained how to set it up.

It tells me my exact calorie burn. I don't use it for anything else.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM watch/computer as my watch now and I always have my watch on even if I don't have my phone on me! Great investment, not exaclty loads of extra kit to lug around or use. Plus more and more are getting better and better for accuracy. Plus they cost the same for the setup of a bluetooth AMT one.
  • Littlered9
    Options
    I got a Polar FT4 and love it. Very easy and only cost about $90.00.
  • LilysMom28
    LilysMom28 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Just relying on RPE has worked fine for me so far.

13438744.png

this may be a stupid question but what is that and how do you figure it out?? thanks! :)
  • morgansmom02
    morgansmom02 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I got a cheap one off Amazon. It is called a Pyle and it does track how many calories I burn! Not a bad deal!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I have an HRM and love it! It really helps motivate me to workout longer & harder when possible.
  • dragonflybird
    Options
    I think so, and I think a good one is important. I'm not going to back myself up though. lmao, I've done too much of that in university.
  • lesleyt1982
    lesleyt1982 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend brought me a hrm from polar and it is amazing. couldn't be easier to use, i put strap on apex and press button on my watch to start counting. u can start it at the beginning of ur work out and stop it at end ur count for each machine. get a good watch and it will store it so u just open file and type in min and cal like normal on cardio section.
    i would say tho get a good dearer one rather than too cheap. mine about £60 and is fantastic. had tesco one for a bout £20 previously and as good as it was it was too generous with the cals.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I wonder this myself. I have the MIO watch one (no chest strap) and I use it for outdoor exercise or spinning sometimes, because those bikes don't give me a calories burned number, but honestly, I don't use it that much, so the idea of investing money in a 'better' one is probably not that smart in my case.

Being close to my goal weight, I think I can ballpark my calories burned close enough at this point (not like I'm going to gain 5 lbs or slip into "starvation mode" if I miscalculate a little here and there).
  • jtp5184
    jtp5184 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I couldn't even think of doing cardio without it! Also, seeing my heart rate come down as I continue working out shows me that I am becoming more in shape.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have never bought one, and I've been pretty successful! Too many people are dependent on them and expect them to be accurate. They still just give estimates of calories burned, and there are many factors that can cause inaccuracies.