Giving up for Lent?

Options

Replies

• trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up cursing, and getting angry with my kids/wife. I've got the most amazing family, and it's gut wrenching sometimes when I get so angry at them. So, although this is an impossible task completely, my goal is to spend the next 40 days being the kinder gentler father/husband I'm supposed to be all along. Won't be easy.

Oh and chocolate. My turn-to snack. LOVE the dark stuff! Flavanoids, baby!!! This will suck.

Bring on Lent.
  • TiasF
    TiasF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up wasting so much time on Facebook, and the internet in general. I'm going to commit to checking FB/MFP/e-mail once in the morning for no more than 10 minutes, and once at night for the same amount of time. I hope to be more productive, and to stop making the excuse of not having time for things. :-)

^^^^^ THISSSS.

i am definitely looking at giving up facebook. and profanity :blushing:
  • Alma_Sana
    Alma_Sana Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Sugar and fast food
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,007 Member
    Options
    I think instead of giving up something I will take on more exercise and more accurate logging in my food diary.
    I am going to BEAT THE BULGE!!!!!

Yes, this.
    I think "giving up" something puts you in a negative mindset and it becomes difficult to do.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    In the past dozen years I've given up caffeine, nicotine and alcohol, all forever.
    Congrats! That takes determination and hard work!
    Why would I care about Lent?
    If you don't care about Lent, why would you come to a topic on giving up something for Lent? Just to make sure we all know how awesome you are but how you don't care about Lent?
  • wetonia1
    wetonia1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm still up in the air on what to give up or maybe add for Lent. I'm leaning towards adding something like exercising daily for Lent in hopes that I will get better with exercising and actually continue even after Lent. I'll post when I decide for sure what I'm doing...guess I better decide quickly!! :happy:
  • blynnblair
    blynnblair Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of giving up snacking on treats people bring in at work. This adds up to alot of unnessary calories. Also thought about giving up candy.

this^ work is a bad influence on me as well, I'm going to be doing this as well. thank you for the idea!
  • joynaus
    joynaus Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My daughter, who is also using this site is giving up fast food, except for deli's and casual dining for lent....it worked for her last year.
  • dlw28
    dlw28 Posts: 5
    Options
    I'm giving up soft drinks. I usually only have 1 diet mt. dew in the mornings but I've been wanting to give up them up for a while and even though I'm not catholic, I started giving something up every year for Lent when I was in college in Mobile Alabama (where Mardi Gras was originated). I'm hoping after 40 days of no soft drinks... I'll be off them for good!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up snacking. Going to only eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. I enjoy snacking and so this will be a sacrific for me to do and will be hard!

This is not a good idea. You should eat every 2-3 hours to keep your metabolism burning....it's like fuel to your fire.

Meal frequency does not effect metabolism.
  • FaithfulSmiles82
    Options
    Caffeine!
  • bsdive
    bsdive Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are doing a Lent exercise calendar- each day there are sit-ups, push-ups, squats and plank listed with a number of how many to do, each day there are more of each added until Easter. This is in addition to our workouts and are all things that we can do at night after the kids are in bed. If we miss a day we owe a quarter and will have to pay up on Easter. It is just a way to keep us moving and motivated.
  • jesusislove1526
    jesusislove1526 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Since I already posted what i will be giving up, I will post what I will be doing more of for Lent. I will spend more time in prayer and devotional time, and add 20 extra minutes of walking each day to my exercise routine.
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Chocolate and soda. You don't know how serious I am about soda...................
  • Ralstonk2
    Ralstonk2 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    MEN MEN MEN!!!!! That is what I am giving up for Lent!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Giving up: Chips (all forms, tortilla, potato, etc), pasta, bread, and beer.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Ok.. I thought long and hard and I don't wanna write it, I hemmed and hawed and tried to overlook this post because saying it means I will have to do it!!

I'm giving up Mineo's Sicillian Pizza with Bacon (well done).. There I said it! (I think something broke inside)

This is gonna be hard, they rocognize my order by phone, when i walk in, i'm greeted like Norm from cheers!! their number is in my speed dial favs., I adjust my workouts and what i eat daily to fit it in. I eat this after work religeously at least 3-4 times a week!! I'm gonna die!!! *wails*.. They're gonna go out of business!! LOL!!

I will also give up Edward Marc milk chocolate covered pretzels. Sighs heavily.. 1600 calories a 12 oz. 12.00 bag and worth every penny!!! Sighs again.. but not every calorie...

How much time do I have before Lent to over indulge on these items?!?!?

Lord help us all!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My sister and I are doing a Lent exercise calendar- each day there are sit-ups, push-ups, squats and plank listed with a number of how many to do, each day there are more of each added until Easter. This is in addition to our workouts and are all things that we can do at night after the kids are in bed. If we miss a day we owe a quarter and will have to pay up on Easter. It is just a way to keep us moving and motivated.

^^^^^^ I LOVE this!! care to share?? I can't put in the quarter but maybe I can make a donation jar.
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    As much as I would love to give up coffee for Lent, it's just too hard. It's my main source of caffeine and, quite frankly, I feel that given that I quit smoking and rarely drink, I get to keep coffee.

I think I will give up sweets. Chocolate is easy for me to give up but things like licorice are not.
  • jthomps85
    Options
    I'm giving up feeling bad when I get off track. We are human and sometimes that happens. I've got to learn to stop beating myself up, brush myself off, and start back on the right track.

In general I'm just going to try to be healthier.