How to go back to running after shin splints?

Options
During every season I've run -- whether in high school track or on my own -- I've gotten shin splints. I've tried getting fitted for new shoes, I've tried icing, stretching, and doing "leg drains," and yet I've not been able to prevent shin pain.

A few months ago, when I started running again, I jumped right into it 6 days a week. The first few week I did 3-5 miles a day, and the next week I did 5-8 miles a day. After an 8 mile run one cold night, my knees seemed to lock up and hurt very much. Shortly after, I got that awful tingle in my shins. I tried running again, but it amounted to a pitiful jog. I felt so frustrated that I'd finally gotten back to running, only to get punished for it.

I thought I was listening to my body and my progress; I didn't feel as if I were constantly taxing my legs or straining my heart as I ran more. Did I do "too much, too soon"? Am I doomed to run infrequently and sparingly? Or is it possible for me to return to running and eventually get to a point where I can run 6 days a week?

Has anybody any advice for me regarding returning to running successfully after recovering from shin splints? Because it breaks my heart that I'd tried so hard to run consistently and had it thrown back in my face.

If it's of any import, I'm 17 years old.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• llllnn
    llllnn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oh dear, I've posted this in the incorrect forum. I apologize!
  • JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've only recently started running on a treadmill in the gym and I got pains in each part of my leg in turn each week. I got fitted for new running shoes (one of those places where they put you on a treadmill and film how you run) which helped. I've also found a great stretch which I do prior to running which is standing on a step with just my toes on the step, go up on the toes for about 30 seconds and then drop down so I'm hanging off the step for another 30. I also started using the leg press machine in the gym which I found helped to strengthen my legs. I also stretch out my legs and point toes away and towards me when just sitting. Apart from that, the only other recommendation is to rest for a while and give the shins chance to heal.
  • adeyell
    Options
    Hi there! I have been where you are right now and I know how frustrating it is to be pumped about something but your body doesn't seem too cooperate. Aside from having proper shoes fit for your feet (find out if you have a normal foot or over or under pronate) make sure you are warming your legs up before starting your run, you might have to walk for 10 to 15 minutes. When your done your run make sure to ice your shins and do exercises to strengthen the shin muscle. But if the pain is still constant your gonna need to take a couple weeks off to let them heal. If you keep pushing yourself your gonna do more damage. It sucks but it will help. This is what worked for me, I hope this helps :)