Hip replaced and struggling

Options
Ok, so I had my hip replaced due to bone cancer and I am currently fighting still. Still over what I really should be and it seems like I cannot get to a goal that I would like even weekly. I am trying for 1300 calories a day and I go to the gym almost everyday. Swimming, treatmill, bike, weights every other day. Nothing much yet..

Replies

• Vcabaniss
    Vcabaniss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Any ideas?
  • lissamok
    Options
    First of all, you are a true warrior! Are you struggling to meet your exercise goal? I think that you have to give your body time to adjust to all the treatment and to the exercise you are trying to introduce into your body. 1300 calories a day, depending on your current weight and height, seems reasonable, but make sure the calories you are ingesting are healthy and comply with what your nutritionist recommends. I know that cancer patients have to slowly reintroduce food into their systems. Also, how long do you spend at the time and how vigorous is the activity?

I think 30 minutes a day of pushing yourself as hard as you can without straining yourself is enough. And remember weight loss takes time. Tough to hear, but it's true. We didn't get here overnight, right?
  • looseal
    looseal Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Don't give up.
  • Vcabaniss
    Vcabaniss Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    True. I work out about 35 minutes on the treadmill. About 20-30 on the bike, swim 10 laps, and upper arm weights also the leg curl. I feel like I am on a roller coaster if that makes any sense.
  • charlymess
    charlymess Posts: 1
    Options
    Helloooo, I too have had my hip replaced due to bone cancer (ewings sarcoma?) the whole ball and socket malarky, I was wondering, because I walk with a significant limp at the moment, do I burn more calories walking than someone with a normal walk/hip combo?
    I heard something about limpers burning more (win) but im not sure if this is true. What do you think? Hope you're well now fellow bone cancerian <3
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I spent a total of 3 years in physical therapy due to my knee. I'll never be 100% but PT definitely was worth it all. I'm a brand new person because of it! I went 3x per week, had such a great experience, and made a few friends too! Changing up your routine will help you see improvement. Just as I got comfortable with the exercises, my PT would change them, so my muscles and joints had to adapt to new things, it really helped!