a year later and....

Options
Good Day to all,

It has been a year since I hit my “goal weight”…yes I have kept it off for a little over a year. I wanted to share a few things I have learned along the way:
1. Always do what is right FOR YOU….just because someone lost 30 pounds in 2 months it doesn’t mean you will too, if you do GREAT, if you don’t that is fine too.

2. BE Patient!!! I know, it is easier said than done. I know I have been there done that. But when I got “stuck” I reminded myself “Karla you didn’t gain the weight overnight, what makes you think you will lose it overnight?”

3. It’s for the most part 70% what you eat and 20% exercise. You can lose weight by simply knowing what to eat and knowing how much to eat. However, I do recommend exercise so you can stay strong and fit.

4. Just because you are skinny it doesn’t mean you are healthy, I often seen people so worried about going over their calorie intake, stressing themselves to depression if they don’t hit it. I think it’s about hitting your calories with the right type of food. You WILL lose weight if you reduce your calories even if you eat crap all day, but is that really what you want to do? I learned that I didn’t care if I went over as long as it was with the right type of food!!

5. Short steps will get you there. If you push yourself so hard and exercise every day and deprive yourself, sure you will lose weight but I have seen it often when people (me included) create this exercise routine and “diet” plan that is so difficult that after a couple of months or a year later, they are back to the weight they started with. The small changes are slow, but they will help you keep up with it. So if you are used to eating a whole bag of chips, next time you eat half, and so on and so forth, until you notice that 1 bag will last you at least 2 weeks .

6. Remember is not only about losing weight, is about changing your lifestyle. Changing the way you think about food and getting to know your body and when it’s actually hungry or just plain bored or thirsty!

7. Get informed!! See what is out there and apply it to your life IF it fits or it feels right.

Most important…HAVE FUN….that makes all the difference and remember that your perception is always your reality. If you are interested on seeing before and after pics you can take a look at the “Everyone’s before and after pictures” thread, I am on page 4.

Replies

• sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    well done
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Good post! Very good to read of peoples success with maintaining! My biggest fear is putting the weight back on again, so inspiring posts like this are appreciated!
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Nicely said. Thanks for sharing!
  • sarahi2009
    sarahi2009 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    You all are welcomed! I know someone did that same for me when I was going thru it and it helped me!
  • lissamok
    Options
    Thank you so very much for this. It's really encouraging to hear from someone on the other side and your advice is, for lack of a better word, soothing. I see people on my list losing like 4 pounds in two weeks and they are lighter than me and I just keep wondering what I am doing wrong. I push myself as hard as I can, try to eat the right things, and I am losing at a slow and steady rate, but it's always frustrating, isn't it? You have helped put the pep back in my step, and I can't thank you enough for this post.
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks! :-)
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    ty for this its gonna help me out for sure!
  • garnetsms
    garnetsms Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement today!!!
  • goingmodern
    goingmodern Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am far, far away from my goal weight, but your post was truly encouraging to read. It's the one I will come back to when I'm "stuck" or just feeling blah. Thank you!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later. I may need it!!
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    Thank you so very much for this. It's really encouraging to hear from someone on the other side and your advice is, for lack of a better word, soothing. I see people on my list losing like 4 pounds in two weeks and they are lighter than me and I just keep wondering what I am doing wrong. I push myself as hard as I can, try to eat the right things, and I am losing at a slow and steady rate, but it's always frustrating, isn't it? You have helped put the pep back in my step, and I can't thank you enough for this post.

Yes! It can be frustrating, I know...but if you stick with it and know that everyday is a new day, a new start...it makes that difference!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Good advice. Now, for you, take a new profile pic without a toilet in the photo. :)
  • morningbell
    morningbell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said. Thanks for your words of encouragement.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    Good advice. Now, for you, take a new profile pic without a toilet in the photo. :)

LOL I would but that's the only mirror I have....lol...I will try to take another and upload it ;)
  • shadee321
    shadee321 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    NICELY SAID, thanks and congrats to keeping it up
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    So you're saying you only put 90% effort eh?

Sarcasm aside, congrats to you.
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    So you're saying you only put 90% effort eh?

Sarcasm aside, congrats to you.

Ooops yes sorry meant to put 30...but you get that 10% of plain laziness....lol...
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    BRAVO!! Thank you so much! You hit the nail right on the head. I appreciate your motivitional and kind words, it's so true & it's helped me to keep my head up and take this journey one day at a time :wink:

CONGRATS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!! :flowerforyou:
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    You all are too kind! I feel so honored that my words help encourage you! LIfe is about surronding yourself with people that will help you out and lift you up, I know when I started every little adviced and positive reach helped me!! You guys keep up the good work or like they say...:kick butt and take name".... ;)
  • sarahi2009
    Options
    My before and after pics

DSC_0145.jpg
    photo.jpg