Balls of my feet go numb?

Options
Whenever I do any exercising for longer than half an hour (Turbo Fire, zumba, hula hooping, etc) the balls of my feet go numb. I had my feet measured properly at a running room and bought my sneakers (Asics) at the running store, but I am still having this problem. My sneakers are the right size, they are not tied too tightly, and they are the right fit for my arches. I do notice that I don't seem to have this problem when I go barefoot, unfortunately this isn't always an option. Should I try the Vibrams? Any thoughts/suggestions on why this could be happening?

Replies

• cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you have calluses on the balls of your feet? or any other type of extra skin layer? If so that could be pushing on pressure points which could cause that. If so, then I'd suggest a pedicure.
  • waylward
    waylward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply. No calluses or even hard skin on my feet. But I will never say no to a pedicure ;)
  • cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Does it happen with any other type of shoe?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    What kind of socks are you using? I have found that cotton socks make the balls of my feet go numb.
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to know, because my feet go numb when i am on the elliptical.. that is main machine i use for cardio, but even when I go jogging my feet just go number, mostly the balls of my feet and my toes. I thought i was because I had fractured 3 toes on my rigth foot and several of the metatarsals but that wouldnt cause it in the my left foot...
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    cotton socks always bothered my feet. I couldn't believe the difference in buying good socks. Also.. good shoes and good support.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    What kind of socks are you using? I have found that cotton socks make the balls of my feet go numb.

I have the same problem with my feet going numb (still need to invest in some good shoes) but I've never thought about my socks. Cotton is what I wear too. What do you wear?
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Bump cause I'd really like to hear some other people's answers.

Back in high school I was told I had heel spurs on my ankles and that I would always have to deal with this.
  • kn4349
    Options
    Go to a podiatrist. Sounds like you possibly have a Morton's neuroma, a pinched/enlarged nerve. More symptomatic in shoes. Usually responds to a cortisone injection (or 2). Good luck! Oh and by the way I'm a podiatrist :)
  • samantha1480
    samantha1480 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I have had the same thing happen to me. They feel numb and even hurt a little bit. However this only happens when I am taking an aerobics class at the gym (step, kickboxing, etc.). It does not happen when I run on the treadmill or do the elliptical. So I have to assume that it has to do with the impact of my feet on the wooden floor in the aerobics room. Since the treadmill is a different material (rubber I guess??) and on the elliptical your feet stay planted, that is why I am thinking that is the reason.

I told my doctor about it and she didn’t seem concerned so I suppose it won’t kill me...it's just very uncomfortable.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem the last 15-20mins of Turbo Fire classes and it happens with my Asics and my Nikes no matter what socks I wear. I've tried socks only (too much sliding) and barefoot (NEVER AGAIN - major blisters on bottoms of feet). So I was thinking my feet just get swollen and that there's nothing I can do about it. But if someone has a tip, advice or cure... count me in.

It's so ANNOYING!!!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have that happening every time I buy new running shoes (Asics). After using them about a dozen times, it seems to go away. I love the shoes but always have the same issue with new Asics. I think I even had that problem when I used a different type of Asics running shoes.

Sorry no help here.
  • jacx645
    jacx645 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I often have the same issue when I exercise no matter what shoes I'm wearing or how tightly I tie them. My toes and the balls of my feet go numb, especially when I am on in the gym using the eliptical or arc trainer. I think this is just due to the extra pressure being exerted on these points over time. When the feeling gets too uncomfortable, I just stop what I'm doing and wiggle my toes to get the blood flow back. I'm not sure there is anything else you can really do about it.
  • darly58
    darly58 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see this many people with the same problem. I'd tried, different sock, shoes, lacing differently, etc. and searched the internet to find no answer that took care of it. You know what? I had a cousin after having the same conversation tell me she finally was diagnosed with and myself too with "neropathy" not sure on spelling, but it's a diabetic disease. No, I don't and you don't have to have diabetes to have this. Mine would burn and go numb. Worth talking to your doctor about it if it's as annoying to you as me.
  • waylward
    waylward Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the replies. I was suprised to see so many people with a similar problem - I tried searching online for a solution and couldn't find anything. My problem is with any brand of sneakers that I use for working out (Asics, Addidas, Nike, etc.). I went to our local Running Room specifically to get my feet properly assessed because of this problem - but no matter what sneaker they recommend, I still go numb in the balls of my feet. I did not think about my socks causing a problem. I will certainly look into that. If that doesn't work, I will probably go see a podiatrist and/or family doctor. I don't really have a problem with every day standing, walking, at work, etc. It seems to be related to the high impact of my work outs.
  • gypsybug
    gypsybug Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me too, but I did manage to reduce it somewhat simply by NOT using running shoes for any kind of plyometric exercise. I'm a TurboFire fan and I started it using my Brooks running shoes that I was fitted for.

Since then, I've switched to cross trainers that are designed for side-to-side and ball of foot impact (like Nike Shox) as opposed to the heal to toe design of running shoes. Runners simply don't have the structural support required.

NOW - that being said, I still do get some tingling in my feet, but NOTHING like I was getting before. Mostly just in my pinky toes. So I'm still on a quest for the perfect shoe, but I will never again wear runners for Turbo.
  • flong1975
    Options
    I am glad to see I am not alone! The balls of my feel go numb ( toes too) at the 20 minute mark on elipticals and steppers... not on the treadmill. My toes even go numb if I sit with my legs crossed for too long. I will have to look into the diabetic thing listed above... It does not matter what shoe/sock I am wearing or barefoot... hmmm....
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

I have the same problem with my feet going numb (still need to invest in some good shoes) but I've never thought about my socks. Cotton is what I wear too. What do you wear?

I use the moisture wicking socks. Like these: http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11314950&010=SKU-9718105&003=3933188&camp=CSE:GoogleBase&camp=CSE:GoogleBase

They really make all the difference for me!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem today on just my left foot. This is my first time wearing a new pair of New Balance (the only brand I wear). I was fitted for the shoes and they feel great. I'm hoping that this will go away soon! My foot stayed numb for my entire run (about 4.5 miles) and it took about 10 minutes of walking for my foot to go back to normal.

My old shoes were VERY worn, and a half size smaller than the ones I was fitted for. I've never had numbness when wearing them though.

Do you think my feet just need time to adjust to a new shoe? It seems to me that if they are the right fit, I shouldn't have any kind of pain!
  • Jessicalynnelliott
    Options
    Just a thought...could it possibly be coming from your back? The nerves and muscles in your back have a lot to do with pain and numbness in the legs and feet. If so a visit to a chiropractor for a spinal adjustment might just do the trick!!