What's the most accurate way to calculate calorie burn?

Options
Quick question for the MFP world... I just started a legitimate attempt at p90x (my brother did it and got some awesome results) and I'd like to find a way to to track those calories I burned to enter them into my exercise log. The problem is each DVD targets a different muscle group so each one obviously burns more or less. Has anyone out there done this before or do they know an accurate way to calculate this?

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Cardio -> Circuit Training, or Strength Training
  • spendsitwell
    spendsitwell Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM. It will tell you exactly how many calories you burn. I have a polar FT7 and I love it.
  • ShannaDBowser
    ShannaDBowser Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Get an HRM, Heart Rate Monitor. They come with a chest band and a watch. You set it up, put it on when you work out and it'll track your calories burned.

I have a New Balance N4, it retails for around $70.
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just got a HRM too last week a Polar FT7 which comes with a chest band and you can change the batteries yourself unlike some of them.

Its been great so far.
  • akjmart2002
    akjmart2002 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Polar HRM FT7 or FT40/60.

Get one. You won't regret it.
  • dehavens1
    Options
    HRM is probably the best...if you go out yo the nonlinear calculators sitting on my rearend and doing normal chores i am already burning more than eat???? And if that were the case i wouldn't be on this site.
  • sarahr740
    Options
    Do you wear the hrm just while working out. Or will keep track of all the calories you burn all day long.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Most of them you just wear when working out. I think the Body Bug and Fit Bit you wear all day. I have a Timex HRM that I like the style of, but sometimes it gives me high calorie readings. The HR itself is dead on. If I question the calorie readings I throw my HR, Age, Weight info into an online calculator to double check it. That keeps me in line.
  • sarahr740
    Options
    I was going by the amount of calories my treadmill said I burned. But put that into an online calculator and it way almost half of what the treadmill burned. I might try a hrm. Thank.
  • minnow54151
    minnow54151 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The most accurate way I have found is to buy a body bugg, (one of my facebook friends just ordered hers & said they were on a nice sale right now). I used to use the polar hrm & it did work ok, then went to an actitrainer, also ok, now Iuse the bodybugg & it works excellent would never go without it! You can message me if you have any questions about it.