Sodium in Subway Sandwhiches

Options
O.k someone has to help explain why there is sooooooooo much sodium in subway sandwhiches. Outside of the sodium they look good for you but when you factor the sodium in I feel I should be running in the other direction.

Could somone please shed some light on this if I should be worried or not.

Cheers

Replies

• ExploitedRaven
    Options
    O.k someone has to help explain why there is sooooooooo much sodium in subway sandwhiches. Outside of the sodium they look good for you but when you factor the sodium in I feel I should be running in the other direction.

Cheers
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    There is a lot! Their breakfast is worst! I made the mistake a few weeks ago and had their breakfast sandwich and that was my full day of maxium recommended of everything for the day. I don't see how it can be healthy. Salt makes you retain water, so how jared did it.. is a mystery to me. lol

i still eat their sandwiches, because yeah their are low in fat and calories. (compared to a burger) Instead of a soda, get a water and that will help with the sodium?

Subway is having a $5 deal for their foot long. I can see the prices raising once again after that deal is over.

The dinner for 2 for $8 is gone..

Soon, it will go to the idea that you might as well go get a burger and fries because it is cheaper. But we have to remember that cheaper isn't always better. I think that prices of the food that is better for you should be regulated to be cheaper because America is so overweight compared to other countries. IF the prices for healthy food was cheaper, I think more people will be up for eating it more often.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    salt and sugar are the two most common preservatives used in food to make the shelf life longer. LUnch meats are preserved using mostly salt, so you in turn get more salt than you may have if you were to make it at home. You can buy a raw turkey breast and roast it, slice it and use it for sandwiches at home that is one way to control sodium intake from food.

If you choose to eat prepared food of any kind you will always have a higher sodium or sugar content, but a sub here and there isn't going to kill you either. When I go to subway I have them put two pieces of turkey instead of three so that helps with the salt a little too.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    The main source of the sodium is the processed meat - that contains a lot of sodium also the bread has quite a bit of sodium, as well as the cheese, if you have it. Unfortunately, having water or tea instead of pop won't help much with the sodium, pop only has 35 mg per 8 oz - not even a blip on the 2000 mg or so per day! However, water or tea would be healthier :tongue: I really just try to keep my sodium down for the rest of the day when I have Subway sandwiches for lunch. A good salad for dinner and maybe some oatmeal for breakfast, if I know I'm going to have Subway that day. Drinks lots of water during the day to help flush out the sodium.
  • heatther
    heatther Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Subway has great chicken salads! I have them instead of the sub!
  • yenn
    yenn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    did you know there's sodium in TAP WATER ??? from 20-60 mg per 8 oz in some places. It's worse if you have a water softener. But it's not all bad ... if you exercise you sweat out a whole bunch of it. Check out this copy/paste from a runner's website :

Sodium in sweat
    The average male's body contains about 75,000 milligrams of sodium, the equivalent of eleven tablespoons of salt. When you exercise, you lose some sodium via sweat. The amount you lose depends upon:

How much salt you sweat. Some runners have saltier sweat than other. Salty sweaters tend to end up with a crust of salt on their skin after a hard workout. Other runners, in comparison, have a low sodium content in their sweat - and no white salt stains on their skin or running clothes. The amount of sodium in sweat averages about 500 milligrams sodium per pound of sweat (and ranges from 220 to 1,100 milligrams). If you lose two pounds of sweat per hour for four hours of sweaty running, your sodium losses can become significant (4,000 milligrams of sodium). You should eat salty foods to replace the losses.

How much you exercise in the heat. If you are not used to exercising in heat, you may lose 1,100 milligrams of sodium per pound of sweat. But if you are acclimatized, you may lose only 300 milligrams. This means, if you are training in the winter for a marathon that happens on an exceptionally warm spring day, you might need extra sodium during the marathon.

COOL HUH ??????
  • shellkas
    shellkas Posts: 45
    Options

Cheers

:happy: I don't believe that you have anything to worry about. I got this off of http://www.annecollins.com/weight-loss-support/sodium-overweight.htm

Does Sodium Make Us Overweight?
    Sodium can make you weigh heavier on the scales but is not permanent weight gain.

The weight gain you experience is fluid gain caused by excess sodium in you diet and like most fluid gain, it is only temporary.

The recommended daily allowance (RDA) for sodium is about 2300 mg - slightly more than 1 teaspoon.

Definitely, replace the soda with water.

MontanaGirl is right on the money with what she states.

I love my subway....I just get on their website and pull up all the info and go from there on whether or not I need or want a sandwich.

Hope this little tidbit helps and best of luck in your life journey!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    I'm going with Yenn's idea, that Jared did enough walking and other stuff he sweated it out.
    I think that prices of the food that is better for you should be regulated to be cheaper because America is so overweight compared to other countries. IF the prices for healthy food was cheaper, I think more people will be up for eating it more often.

Yeah, but they'd probably get it done by taxing processed stuff like crazy after half a dozen committees figure out how to define "processed" and make loopholes for the corporations funding their reelection campaigns. And five years later they'll be trying to tax the rest of our food.
  • ExploitedRaven
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the quick reply. I will make sure to drink lots of water to help it out if I do go to a Subway.

Cheers