Advice, please!

Options
About 6 weeks ago, I tore a calf muscle while working out. It hurt like hell, I was on crutches for about 2.5 weeks and then about 2 weeks ago I've been walking to strengthen my calf and get back to the place I was before I got hurt.
Before I got hurt I had JUST started training for the Couch to 5K, for a charity run in Mid-September. I started jogging again on Thursday for roughly two minutes. I felt a small bit of pain in my calf but it went away soon and it was all good.
This morning I went out again, I did two minute runs ( walking in between) for about a total of 5 minutes out of a 35 minute walk. I could have gone on, but my calf was hurting again ( worse than Thursdays walk, but NOTHING like the original injury :noway: ).

I decided to ice it today and take OTC painkillers....but now what?

I have 75 days before the charity run and I have a lot of training to do before then, I am determined to do this run!!
Do I continue to go on my morning walks and still do as much jogging/running as I can?
Do I continue to walk, but not run?
So I skip it all?

I dont want to lose training time, but I also NEVER EVER EVER want to feel that kind of pain again.

What would you advise? THANKS!!!

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    What does your doctor or physical therapist(if you are seeing one) say? If you haven't told them your plans, I would suggest doing so.

Motivation is great, but if you motivate yourself into a more serious injury, you are going to be unable to walk/run, etc. for that much longer.

Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    My doctor advised after the injury to stay on the crutches for 2-3 weeks ( I did 2.5 weeks). No excercise and sensible shoes for the two weeks after that and then starting off for a couple of weeks with walking only then I could get into my regular workouts.
    This is exactly what I've done, but no, I dont think I mentioned the running.I assumed my 'regular workouts' would be just that- whatever I was doing pre-injury.
  • maszive
    maszive Posts: 8
    Options
    Speed walking is just as effective as running (try walking) !! I never jogged or did running until 3 months of cardio (Speed walking) and now I can run 4 miles with no problem. I would also suggest you do consult with the doctor and possibly have a exam done in case that you have injured the calf again (which is possible). (PS) Put the treadmill on high incline and walk slow so you can work your calves and stamina for your run. (PSS) Walking is just as effective!!!!!!!!!!
  • christahollis
    Options
    Everyone heals at a different rate, and physiologically...everyone's a smidge different too. Have patience with your body, but be aware that the body can only heal so much--some injuries leave lasting repercussions that we ultimately have to adjust to.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    My experience with calf tears is that, if you go back too soon or too hard, they are easy to reinjure. I have had numerous tears, although none as serious as yours. Recovery time ranged from 3 to 6+ weeks. Unfortunately, even aggressive stretching can be a problem.

If the injury was severe enough to require crutches, it would not be a bad idea to be evaluated by a sports medicine physical therapist or athletic trainer before returning to full activity.

Heal your leg first. Forget about the 5K for now. There is a 5K run somewhere every weekend. No need to risk a more serious or chronic injury. This is by far the biggest mistake runners make when they get injured. I understand how hard it is to put off training and miss an event, but as someone who ran for 20 years before being beaten down by a number of injuries (and now after 10 years is trying to get back), I know what I am talking about.