kombucha

Options
ALH1981
ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
Whats the go with this? I was given a bottle of the GT synergy Kobucha (chia seed flavor) but the health food store, and its DELICIOUS - but am unsure what the health benefits may be....

Does anyone know?

-- I actually poured some into small cups and froze them - they are like little ice treats for dessert! YUM

Replies

• akrzyzewski
    akrzyzewski Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with the citrus kombucha by synergy. All of the stringy things are healthy bacteria, probiotics, that help aid in digestion and reflourish the natural flora in your digestive system. I know that anything fermented is super healthy too ... I hate that it's four bucks a bottle so it's always my treat at whole foods. I'm going to try to make it, I just need to get my hands on a starter pack.
  • melrn
    melrn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You don't have to! I started my own by using GT's kombucha. I've grown my own "mushrooms" and now have 3 batches going. You just leave about a quarter of a bottle (that you have not drank directly out of) cover with a clean cloth/elastic band, let sit for a few weeks on counter. a mushroom will form. Thats it!!
  • melrn
    Options
    and I am also obsessed/addicted to kombucha. I LOVE it!!
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Okay, I had my hands on this stuff today - and I stood there, reading the label, and wondering "yes, but what does it DO for you?"

It's very expensive, but is it really that tasty? Even with little things floating in it? :laugh: What's the story?
  • melrn
    Options
    It is very tasty. I think it's worth the expense... Fermented foods are very good for you, help build healthy gut flora, improve immune system, digestive system, etc. "Nourishing Traditions" is a good book to check out to learn more about fermented foods. Just in the same way that raw apple cider vinegar (with the "mother", which is the stringy, slimy stuff) and yogurt, real sauerkraut and pickles, (not the vinegar kind) and kefir are all good for you due to probiotics. It also alkalizes your body and has B vitamins. It's pretty cool. When I am hungry, a bottle of kombucha at 60 calories, totally satisfies me... I am brewing my own at home now. =)
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I LOVE kombucha! Although I prefer a local brand (I don't think they sell it to anywhere outside of Austin) called Buddha's Brew. Not as fizzy and tart as Synergy, the Honeydew flavor is my favorite! I notice that when I drink half a bottle (that's the serving size) a day or so for an extended period of time I just feel better, in general. My mood is better, I have more energy, I just feel more awake, if that makes sense. Full of natural probiotics and vitamins, and it's great for your digestive system. Love the stuff!!
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You don't have to! I started my own by using GT's kombucha. I've grown my own "mushrooms" and now have 3 batches going. You just leave about a quarter of a bottle (that you have not drank directly out of) cover with a clean cloth/elastic band, let sit for a few weeks on counter. a mushroom will form. Thats it!!

THANK YOU! I was wondering if I should purchase my baby or if I could try with GT's! LOVE Gingerberry :love:
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    I got a little obsessed with it a couple years ago and made my own for a while. I kind of burned out on brewing it and its too expensive to buy after having it virtually free, so I stopped drinking it.

It's mildly alcoholic, I believe, unless they found a way around that. It got pulled from store shelves for a while because of it.