Horseback riding: bareback vs. with tack

Options
This may seem like a funny question but I was thinking about how many calories approximately are burned horseback riding and I realized I'm WAY more exhausted after I ride bareback (which these days is more and more often.) So, my question is, is there a big enough difference between riding with and without the saddle to count? I may be grasping at straws here but it's interesting to me and I'd like to know even though I'd probably keep logging the same way. It just occurred to me that there's no option to log bareback horseback riding and I know I use more/different muscles and work what FEELS like twice as hard when I have no saddle to help hold me in place.

Thoughts? :)

Replies

• kmfolkins
    Options
    I will be getting my heart rate monitor in the mail soon, I'll have to try both and let you know
  • nevergiveup92
    Options
    I believe there would be a HUGE difference riding bareback as opposed to riding with the saddle because of the fact that you need to use your legs more to stay on.. it also depends on if you walk, trot, or loping because the more quicker your horse goes, the more leg you need to put on to stay on the horse. so you definitely would be burning more calories bareback than with tack
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I will be getting my heart rate monitor in the mail soon, I'll have to try both and let you know

Awesome, thanks. I'd be really interested in your results. :D
  • Mellocare
    Mellocare Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I believe there would be a HUGE difference riding bareback as opposed to riding with the saddle because of the fact that you need to use your legs more to stay on.. it also depends on if you walk, trot, or loping because the more quicker your horse goes, the more leg you need to put on to stay on the horse. so you definitely would be burning more calories bareback than with tack

Wheee, that's what my thinking was too. I hope it's correct because it certainly feels like it. LOL I can only ride for about 15 minutes at a time so far but that's because I'm pacing/jumping/running around being silly the whole time. :P
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Huge difference I am sure!
  • nevergiveup92
    Options
    Wheee, that's what my thinking was too. I hope it's correct because it certainly feels like it. LOL I can only ride for about 15 minutes at a time so far but that's because I'm pacing/jumping/running around being silly the whole time. :P

I LOVE bareback! But it's definitely a lot of work :P I did it for an hour and my legs were jell-o! Hahaha
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I actually have used a HRM to compare the two. The calorie burn was about the same, but bareback definitely engaged more core muscles. When I rode with tack (English) I feel like I got a better leg workout from all the two-point position. :-)
  • vvanm
    vvanm Posts: 157
    Options
    It's core body exercise, but it seems logical that bareback would require more grip. English saddles would be comparable I would think compared to the more supportive Western saddle. It all requires balance and leg pressure. I was happy to see that horse grooming burns calories on the database :)
  • Sullivanwilson
    Sullivanwilson Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Personally I think it might be a wash. You're using your stabilizing muscles either way, just in different ways. For instance if I'm galloping in two point position in the saddle then my calves, thighs and butt get a huge workout. If I gallop bareback I feel it in my inner thighs and core.

And it sort of depends what you're doing bareback. If you're posting the trot then holy hell it's going to be a better workout then posting in the saddle. But sometimes I find bareback easier because I feel more draped around my horse and it feels more effortless.

I would be interested in the results of the HRM experiment!
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I would say *absolutely* - huge difference!

I wear my bodymedia FIT when I ride, and can identify (from moment to moment, almost) the amount of "effort" put out in a regular ride. When we're working hard on something (lots of core work, leg work...with this lazy horse, LOTS of leg work), the burn-rate is about 11-13 calories a minute. When we're just warming up, it's more like 8-9 cal/min and when we're just moseying around taking a walk break or cooling out, it's more like 5-6 cal/min.

So sure, if you're using more muscle fibers to stay balanced and grip to stay on, it's logical that your burn-rate is going to be affected. I'm interested to see the tack vs bareback results with the HRM too!
  • Sullivanwilson
    Options
    I actually have used a HRM to compare the two. The calorie burn was about the same, but bareback definitely engaged more core muscles. When I rode with tack (English) I feel like I got a better leg workout from all the two-point position. :-)

Yup, that makes sense to me.
  • UpEarly
    Options
    If you're posting the trot then holy hell it's going to be a better workout then posting in the saddle.

This is bringing back memories of lessons without stirrups! My trainer used to take our stirrups away to torture us... I mean, improve our seats. I never minded walking, sitting trot or canter - but posting trot and jumping without stirrups. Ack - no fun at all!

I miss my horse and riding. :-(
  • honeydoozy
    honeydoozy Posts: 46 Member
    Options

This is bringing back memories of lessons without stirrups! My trainer used to take our stirrups away to torture us... I mean, improve our seats. I never minded walking, sitting trot or canter - but posting trot and jumping without stirrups. Ack - no fun at all!

Oh me too! January was always "no-stirrups MONTH". Ow. :noway:
  • Sullivanwilson
    Options
    If you're posting the trot then holy hell it's going to be a better workout then posting in the saddle.

Fun, right?! Did you ever try dropping just one stirrup? That is even harder then dropping both!
  • UpEarly
    Options
    Fun, right?! Did you ever try dropping just one stirrup? That is even harder then dropping both!

Ohmigosh yes... that just throws you completely off balance.

My horse was a big, bouncy OTTB, too. Fun times!
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't think the caolries would be different, but the muscles are worked more when bareback, I know when I run my patterens I lose my stirrups so I can feel it when we run home, the legs and abs burn but it is the good burn
  • Sullivanwilson
    Options
    While we're talking horses....

What burns more calories? Walking your horse down in a 10 acre field because he refuses to get caught vs. convincing your horse there isn't a mountain lion hiding behind the mailbox that you HAVE to pass in order to get back to the barn? I've lost 5 lbs in each scenario. :)
  • UpEarly
    Options
    While we're talking horses....

What burns more calories? Walking your horse down in a 10 acre field because he refuses to get caught vs. convincing your horse there isn't a mountain lion hiding behind the mailbox that you HAVE to pass in order to get back to the barn? I've lost 5 lbs in each scenario. :)

I vote for the 'catching' scenario!

Funniest thing my horse ever did - went and stood in the middle of the pond on the day I had to catch him for the vet to get his teeth floated. He refused to come out. I tried a bucket of grain, a really long longe whip... everything possible to get him out of that pond. He just stood there and stared at me (and this is a horse that normally came bounding up as soon as he saw me). He really, really did not want to have his dental I guess! Finally, I had to wade into thigh deep, disgusting, muddy pond water and haul him to shore physically. I swear, I could hear him snickering the whole way back to the barn.
  • nevergiveup92
    Options

doing that is definitely a pain! but it certainly does improve posture and balance :) .. what really helped my balance was standing up in the stirrups at a full lope! it was hard but awesome :)