Need Protein ideas

Options
My trainer has me on the 40-40-20 diet. Problem is I am having trouble balancing it all, especially the protein. I am just not getting enough. Any ideas?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The usual. Eggs, lean meats (chicken, fish, pork, beef), cottage cheese, greek yogurt, protein powder
  • Kelsbellz
    Kelsbellz Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Lean pork or beef, chicken, eggs or protein shakes.
  • mandy_freeman
    Options
    I have to get 125 grams each day with my routines. I do egg whites with almost every meal. 2 or three hard boiled eggs and it doesn't take that long to choke them down.. Another is chicken breast. You can buy the tyson ones that are already cooked. They are actually pretty tasty. Protein shakes are easy. Natural peanut butter is good. Greek yogurt. Lunch meat from the deli is good to snack on.
  • GeekMom17
    Options
    Tuna

I had my gallbladder out last August and I need high protein as well but, I have to stay low fat and it is one of the best ways I have found to have protein.

Also I drink Carnation Instant Breakfast too. I believe with 10 oz of 1% milk it is 20 gram of protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    egg whites
    beans (legumes)
    Yogurt
    Greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    low fat cheeses
    protein powder
    protein bars
    lean meat (beef, port, chicken, turkey, lean beef etc.)
    Fish
    tofu
    tempeh
    soy milk
    milk
    etc.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What's easiest for me is sauteed chicken. I eat a sauteed chicken breast for dinner OFTEN. A little pepper and paprika and a TINY bit of seasoning salt, sautee in olive oil. Very few calories, and delicious if you don't overcook. Mix with different veggies/sides/salads so you don't get bored, Plus, snacks are lean dairy or Kashi products or a Clif bar that are high in protein for the amount of calories I am consuming in them.
  • katharos3
    katharos3 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I had lentils and chicken for lunch today, which came out to 32g protein for somewhere around 268 calories.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I rely on chicken breast, eggs and tuna. The sodium in the tuna bums me out a bit but worth the trade off.

As a guy, I find it hard to get much more than 40% of my calories from protein without using something liek whey protein powder, but that's when I'm trying to ingest well over 200g a day of protein
  • kellykat2
    kellykat2 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yep, plan your meals. It is easy to add more protein, you can add a glass of skim milk to every meal, which will add protein and calcium. Add some nuts to your salads, snack on a handful of almonds instead of any tortilla chips. Eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast or snack, snack on some lowfat cheese, add beans to your salad along with the nuts, snack on turkey rolled up in swiss cheese (yummy low carb high protein), etc. Lots of ideas to incorporate protein into your daily meal plan. You could also add some protein powders to your milk to up the protein even more. eat more fish, lots of great protein.

Carbs are bad for me, makes me sluggish and gives me a migraine if eaten at bedtime, and hard for me to cut out completely, but I just try to make small changes, like switching out protein for carb snacks and making unsandwiches with cheese instead of bread.

Hope some of this helps you.
  • kduggan24
    kduggan24 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    protein*
  • cptechwork
    Options
    Eggs (especially the whites), cottage cheese, skim milk, and tuna are all common and excellent sources of protein per calorie. If I see or feel like I'm low on protein, I go for one of those.
  • RetroGlitzDiva
    RetroGlitzDiva Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Morningstar Veggie Sausage patties - 2 patties for 2 minutes in the microwave yield 20 grams. I start out each morning with these because they are super yummy and a great way to keep me full until lunch.

Also Fage 0% Fat yogurt. You can eat it alone or add some Uncle Dan's creamy ranch dressing mix and eat it with veggies. I use about 15 oz or Fage Yogurt with 5 oz of Olive Oil Mayo and the seasoning packet to yield 8 grams of protien and its packed with probiotics.

Also if you are a Costco shopper they have these really great Tilapia filets that are individually packed in the frozen section. They are really good and you can make fish tacos or just broil one and enjoy with seasoning.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    Options
    One way that I get some protein is with EAS Carb Control AdvantEDGE shakes. I buy the chocolate fudge one and it is really good! Tastes like Nestle or YooHoo. It's 17g which I know isn't anywhere near what you need, but it helps supplement some in that you don't get from food. Plus it's only 110 cals and 4g carbs.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    *BUMP*
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    You can also get some protien & fiber from nuts (almonds are my fav) and seeds (sunflour, pumpkin, etc.)
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for future reference... I have the same problem... usually I'm at or above my carb/fat allowance for the day but way under for protein!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    egg whites
    beans (legumes)
    Yogurt
    Greek yogurt
    cottage cheese
    low fat cheeses
    protein powder
    protein bars
    lean meat (beef, port, chicken, turkey, lean beef etc.)
    Fish
    tofu
    tempeh
    soy milk
    milk
    etc.

This***

I use protein shakes also...But I always use it to top up my protein if I am missing the Grams needed and after workout!!
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Fish is always my go to. It is very high protein with no carbs so works great.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I just posted about this on my blog. :) www.fitnessbender.com

Some of my faves are boiled egg whites stuffed with tuna (get rid of the yolk) and 0% greek yogurt with some PB and stevia in the raw. Tuna, chicken, legumes.