I tried to run, whats wrong with me?

Options
So last night I'm at the gym I decided to try running so I stretched, did a warm up, and hopped on the treadmill feeling good. About 45 seconds into it (45 seconds, seriously) my lower half started to go numb. I felt like I was going to fall or pee in my pants or both. The strangest feeling ever. So I waited for the tingling to stop and started a decent paced walk. I walked for 5 minutes until I felt fine again and tried again- 30 seconds in and it happens again! What is my body doing? Stair climber-fine, Bike-fine, elliptical-fine....but not running! I really want to get into it because its something my boyfriend likes that we can do together and he's taking a cycling class for me. AGH should I ask my doctor?

Replies

• 5kfunrun
    5kfunrun Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1. If you have health insurance (or even if you don't but can find a reasonable one) I'd see if you could have a Chiropractor take a look at you. You might be having some lower back issues that aren't being addressed.
    2. Are your sneakers new? There is a store near me that will look at the way your run and tell you what type of shoe you should be wearing. (I started having knee problems when I was running, and it turns out I was wearing the wrong shoe!)

Happy Running!
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    Well, it could be that it was just your first time and you aren't use to such high impact exercise? Maybe you don't have the right shoes for running? Talk to your doctor if you feel like something else is going on.
  • gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    running involves a lot of complex body systems.... that need to adapt if you're coming from stationary exercises - the first time I ran half a mile in high-school I collapsed and puked my guts..... now I can run 13.5+ without trouble (25 now) so it takes time for your body to adapt like any exercise.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    How fast did you go? Maybe try a slower pace and see what happens?