Hypothyroidism pls answer

Options
Anybody else have hypothyroidism and has any tips on how to lose weight or not to gain it

Replies

• mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism since 1992 and I take Synthroid. I was struggling to loose weight in the past but doing very well now after my doctor increased my dosage level. Please do get the TSH level checked and see if the dosage needs to be adjusted. Hope it helps.
  • Caper85
    Caper85 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just recently started to take Synthroid as well. Mine had to be adjusted. I feel like I'm losing weight but I haven't weighed in yet. Getting the TSH work up done is the best way to get things rolling in your favor.
  • Jupitermermaid
    Jupitermermaid Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been on Synthroid for 7 years, and it's taken me a long time to get the right dosage so i could finally start losing weight. it's hard and slow, but it can be done. Don't expect miracles overnight, but the weight WILL come off over time. Exercise often and spread your calorie allotment out throughout the day to keep your metabolism burning is the best way I've found to get the weight off.
  • tlinval
    tlinval Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've been hypo. since I was 10 years old (I'm almost 38 now). It can be done, I just find it to be very slow compared to others. Exercise and water make the difference between weight loss and weight gain for me.
  • KariePerez
    Options
    I have Hypothyroidism and I have yet to really figure out anything specifically directed to losing weight that was gained due to the thyroid. I do know if you eat right, exercise more and take the right amount of thyroid meds the weight will just start melting off. Good luck!!!
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I take Armour Thyroid which is a natural version. Synthroid only treats T3 and Armour treats T3 and T4. It made a world of difference for me in regards to fatigue, brain fog, etc. It's important that your doctor is checking TSH, T3, and T4, not just TSH. I also am very good to take it at the same time everyday, not eating within 30 minutes of taking it, take any vitamins at night so they don't interfere, and avoid soy which can hinder thyroid med performance. I was on Synthroid for the first two years after my diagnosis. I've been on Armour for a year now. I didn't lose weight on it though until I started logging all my food and limiting my calories.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Make sure your medication is right and your levels are normal. If these are correct there is no reason that you should not be able to lose weight. Other than that I have to make sure that I drink plenty of water and exercise. Otherwise I can put the weight back on very easily.
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Synthroid, but also just be extra diligent. You can still lose weight as long as you exercise and watch your calories, but you have to be more strict with yourself about not cheating or taking "off days" because it will creep back on so much more quickly. It's not any less possible, just a little bit more difficult.
  • LFDBabs
    LFDBabs Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I have been hypo for 15 years. Don't stop at just the TSH levels!! Go to an ENDOCRINOLOGIST!!!! There are soooo many other numbers that need to be looked at, other than just TSH alone. I was finally, two years ago, dx with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis....a degenerative condition. My meds were adjusted continuosly over the past two years to get to the point that I can finally lose a little bit of weight every month and the Thyroid gland deterioration has slowed. Eventually, it will most likely have to be removed. Weight loss will be easier if you get to a good Endocrine doc that knows what they're doing! Good Luck!!
  • emilybeatrice1
    emilybeatrice1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    i take armour thyroid and levothyroxine.... i have to have the meds adjusted about once a year. since finding out that i had an underactive thyroid i have lost almost 100 pounds.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I went from being Hyper, to Hypo and I understand your frustration. Having a good endocrinologist will help, one that really listens to you and how each of the medications they put you affects you. If one blows you off and basically has an attitude of that's just a side effect and live with, time to start shopping for a new doctor. Not only watching calories and exercising helpful, but the types of foods you eat can affect your thyroid hormones and metabolism as well.
  • Calibayby
    Calibayby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great advice. I have had hypo thyroidism since 1991, it helps to have a Endocrinologist involved as auto immune disorders tend to couple together. Best of luck.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    There is also a hypo and hyper thyroid group here at MFP. Check it out for some great info. Might answer some of your questions and give you some support!!
  • vicmonster
    vicmonster Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It's important to re-check the levels when we lose weight. My levoxyl dosage has gone up every 18 months or so then it went down when I lost 20 lbs!
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I take Syntheroid too....

I was told to avoid Soy products.... Some people agree, others disagree.... but, I have avoided it and seen results. I was also told to keep sugar levels lower as it takes us longer to get rid of it.

Get enough sleep

keep getting checked....

And no, weight wont just melt off when you get at the right level, you must stay on top of your diet and nutrition. MFP is a great tool!!
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My body was thrown into an immediate hypo state with the complete removal of my thyroid in November 2010 due to Hashimoto's disease. Before that I never had an issue and could drop 20 lbs in a month with hardly any effort at all. I am also on Synthroid, but still haven't found the right level to allow me to lose any of the 30 lbs I gained after my surgery. I am due for more blood work next week,...so fingers crossed. I already run an average of 30 miles per week and am hoping that tracking my food in combination with my workout will be the key. Good luck!
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for years. I am taking synthroid and that has helped all areas except the weight issues. Actually, this site has been more help to my weight issues than anything else. It is slow but steady. Are you taking medication for your hypothroidism?
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    The time and how long you wait to eat also makes a difference. I have noticed that being diligent about taking it around the same time every morning and with only water and then waiting for an hour or longer before I eat, I have seen the weight loss increase not much but enough. I have been hypo since 2002, you name it my doc and I have tried it the med that seems to work the best for me is Levoxyl granted my dose is 250 MCG. Make sure that your doc is also checkin the TSH, T3 and T4 that makes a big difference then just checking the TSH. My levels are checked every 6 months now that I am pretty stable, before I stable out I was having my blood checked every 2 months that went on for about 8 yrs not fun...lol

But the biggest weight loss since I have been hypo started when I dilegently started logging everything that goes in my mouth. My weight loss seems to be slower then everyone else but atleast it is coming off :wink: I started MFP in July 2011 and have lost 25 lbs since then the only week that I wasn't really good at logging everything was when we went on vacation over Christmas for a week. Needless to say that week I gained 7 lbs. It deffinately is a slow process but worth it!
  • discharge2
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Its hard to lose weight. If you manage your intake and you exercise as well you should get there. It's your healthy eating plan and no one elses, don't compare yourself against others.There is no quick fix and the smallest success should be celbrated with joy. I will know how hard you worked for the loss.
  • Mixie87
    Mixie87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been Hypo since 1999 and have researched here and there. I had Graves Disease, and had the RAI Treatment rendering my thyroid inactive. I am on 200mcg Levothyroxine. Being on the meds so long you would think that I would have it down, as far as diet and what works and what doesn't and what not to do and what hurts it. lol, but I don't. A few things that work for me, when I am diligent with it:

Drinking more water,
    Taking my meds on time and at the same time everyday, (HELPS A LOT)
    Taking my meds at bedtime, (NOTHING TO INTERFERE WITH YOUR BODY ABSORBING IT)
    Taking my vitamins in the morning with breakfast, (SO I DON'T FORGET)
    Thyroid meds and calcium do not mix, (DOESN'T ALLOW BODY TO ABSORB MEDS)
    My metabolism needs to stay fired up,
    Being patient and remembering thyroid issues make losing weight slower, not impossible,
    Not using it as an excuse for being fat,
    Not being a victim, (I tend to get discouraged)
    Remembering I am not alone

Half of these are to help my brain not think toooooo much about the fact that this is going to just take time. I have tried to look for tips and tricks and diets and magic pills and cleanses. Thyroid issues don't make the weight loss process different. We still just need diet and exercise. The only difference is we need some meds and a few rules.

No one has all the answers and everyone is different. Just know that a eating a clean healthy diet that vibes with your thyroid function, keeping active, and having a good understanding and communication with your doctor about your thyroid levels and fitness plan takes the weight off. Your thyroid levels GREATLY affect weight. I think the thing that helps me the most is logging everything and keeping positve. Just keep swimming, just be swimming.

I know you were probably looking for like diet tips or something, but all that just kinda came out! Oops. lol