Help! I need some breakfast ideas

Options
jadedone
jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
I'd love some breakfast ideas.

The problem: I have just found out one medicine I take isn't happy if I have calcium within 4 hours (or super high fiber). That kills my go to breakfast: greek yogurt and fruit.

I can't have eggs daily, I just don't like them enough to have them that often and they are time consuming (I don't like hard boiled).

I am not really excited about cereal or oatmeal either. I only have these occasionally, but most of the time cereal just goes stale at my house. It takes me 3-6 months to finish a box, and of course since cereal requires milk there is the calcium problem.

I am crushed about the yogurt. My absolute favorite breakfast year round! It takes no time to make, is filling, and doesn't require loads of dishes. :(

Any ideas? I'd like to keep it fairly clean and full of whole foods and preferably under 15 minutes to make in the morning.

Replies

• sueschmitz
    sueschmitz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try fiber one brownies 90 calories
  • Slendermike
    Slendermike Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal - quick and easy with a sprinkle of cinnamon. Fruit source bars, apples, oranges, rice cakes, whole wheat waffles, Have a light breakfast then have a snack(apple, carrots, snap peas....) about 2.5 hours later
  • kimborious
    Options
    I LOVE Ezekiel Bread. You can find it in the freezer section and its so wholesome and delicious. I usually spread some Laughing cow cheese on mine after toasting, but since you are not so keen on the dairy you may want to try a nut butter or some delicious jam. I recently found a fig and garlic jam that is LOVELY.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can you take your medicine at night instead?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to eat breakfast foods at breakfast? You could have a turkey sandwich or meatloaf of any other food item you enjoy that will not react with your medications. If you still want to eat breakfast-y foods, have them for dinner.
  • mcatheri
    mcatheri Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What about protein bars? I love the Kind brand and they're gluten free. Or a protein drink mixed with berries and soy or almond milk (not sure about the calcium in them).
  • dollyface2010
    dollyface2010 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    salmon if you can have it that early. it will give you energy and keep you full till lunch.
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    Noatmeal? : http://delishix.com/noatmeal-no-oatmeal-recipe/ I do this a lot simpler with just a half a banana (or some mashed sweet potato/pumpkin), an egg, almond or peanut butter, and spices. Beat it all together and microwave until it's done, stirring every 30 seconds or so.

V8 and a piece of toast with peanut butter?
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Who says you have to eat breakfast foods at breakfast? You could have a turkey sandwich or meatloaf of any other food item you enjoy that will not react with your medications. If you still want to eat breakfast-y foods, have them for dinner.

Agreed!
  • belladonna_3k
    Options
    Fresh fruits or fruit smoothies made with soy milk or coconut water is always a good, nutritious go to meal for me. :-)
  • allijoy13
    allijoy13 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things I eat for lunch and dinner! Left over meat and veggies, mashed potatoes, sausage, roasted chicken...you get the idea!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and apple

peanut butter on celery with rasins

trail mix w/o chocolate in it.

turkey sandwich with veggies

breakfest burrito - I eat mine with a 6in tortilla, 1 scrambled egg with sauted green peppers and onions. Then I dip in salsa
  • shar0006
    shar0006 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If you like whole grain toast/ english muffin/ bagel thin, peanut butter with slices of banana (very filling). I also like to have peanut butter with an apple. Another thought is lunch meat wraps with veggies in it.

You could also try having a piece of fruit and wait until you can actually have your greek yogurt. Good Luck!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I know you probably haven't had a chance to reply yet but I am really curious about the above. If this is a once per day medication and you can take it at night then you probably can just resume your lifestyle as is and not have to worry about it.
  • tsaustin
    tsaustin Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what medication you are taking but I know how you feel about the yogurt and fruit. That's my favorite breakfast, too. I also add Kashi go lean to my yogurt. It seems to keep me full longer. Well, depending on the medication you may be able to change the time you take it vs. cutting out you favorite breakfast. I know some medications can be switched to bedtime.
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Weekday Breakfast Ideas: I usually eat breakfast at work, so I’m looking for low-key, low-profile items that are full of protein. I always have tea with Splenda and milk in a thermos that I bring from home.

Food options:

- 1/4 or 1/3 cup of walnut halves or almonds. I crunch on them slowly; they’re so delicious and they’re full of protein, healthy fat, and fiber so they keep me full (about 250-300 cals).

- Hard-boiled egg whites with salt, plus (1) a banana; or (2) a slice or two of cinnamon raisin bread. (egg white is 17 cals per egg; Pepperidge Farm cinnamon raisin bread is 70 cals per slice; banana is about 100 cals per slice). Eggs have a tiny amount of calcium, but it’s all in the yolk.

Weekend Breakfast Ideas: I love scrambled eggs (made with Pam spray and skim milk) and turkey bacon (made with Pam spray). People are always surprised when I say that I eat scrambled eggs and bacon every weekend and it’s low-calorie, but it really is low-cal if you don’t cook it with butter or cream. Sometimes I even put cheese on the eggs – I use strongly flavored cheese so that I can use much less. Often asiago or crumbled bleu cheese.
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I've been seeing some great recipes for a quinoa slow cooker oatmeal that looks very yummy. I second the Ezekiel bread with PB is yummy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

I was totally pondering this. I will probably ask my doctor about it! ;)

My favorite post workout item is a latte...and I have been trying to workout in the AM. No latte treat after the gym! That is so evil.