How long do calorie deficits last?

Options
Okay here's a question...I cycle quite a bit, at least three times a week and during the peak of the riding season as much as 150-200 miles/week. I gained some weight during the off season which I'm now trying to lose but I'm no kid and getting my metabolism going is kinda like starting a '53 Pontiac on a cold day.

The good news is I am losing weight by eating app. 500 cals less/day which is adding up nicely to a pound/week, but that's provided I don't do ANY exercise. When I add a 25 mile bike ride 2x/week at about 1200 cals and a longer one on weekends, the last was 50 miles and good for 3190 cals, I end up with a whopping deficit.

I know all about starvation mode and I try to certainly eat more to compensate on those cycling days, but I'm wondering how long that huge deficit on the weekend sticks around? Does it carry over into the next day, two days? I also know calories can't tell time, so it all doesn't neatly fit into a 24-hour news cycle.

If I actually try to eat the extra 3K cals in addition to the 1,450 or so I get every day, I'd have to eat like an Olympic athlete i.e. a dozen eggs at a sitting, that kind of thing, so the big deficits are going to be there no matter what.

I'm inclined to just let my body be my guide and not overthink it, but if anyone has some science about deficit metabolism and especially how long that deficit really hangs around before you can cancel out to zero again, I'd appreciate it.

Replies

• jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    Okay here's a question...I cycle quite a bit, at least three times a week and during the peak of the riding season as much as 150-200 miles/week. I gained some weight during the off season which I'm now trying to lose but I'm no kid and getting my metabolism going is kinda like starting a '53 Pontiac on a cold day.

The good news is I am losing weight by eating app. 500 cals less/day which is adding up nicely to a pound/week, but that's provided I don't do ANY exercise. When I add a 25 mile bike ride 2x/week at about 1200 cals and a longer one on weekends, the last was 50 miles and good for 3190 cals, I end up with a whopping deficit.

I know all about starvation mode and I try to certainly eat more to compensate on those cycling days, but I'm wondering how long that huge deficit on the weekend sticks around? Does it carry over into the next day, two days? I also know calories can't tell time, so it all doesn't neatly fit into a 24-hour news cycle.

If I actually try to eat the extra 3K cals in addition to the 1,450 or so I get every day, I'd have to eat like an Olympic athlete i.e. a dozen eggs at a sitting, that kind of thing, so the big deficits are going to be there no matter what.

I'm inclined to just let my body be my guide and not overthink it, but if anyone has some science about deficit metabolism and especially how long that deficit really hangs around before you can cancel out to zero again, I'd appreciate it.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer that definitively jp. It depends on your body, how high your metabolism is, how fast your muscles process energy, how efficiently your intestines extract energy from food...etc.

I would say this though, you can probably safely load up a little bit the morning before you cycle or even the night before (just don't go crazy), then try to eat as much as you can without stuffing yourself (try to spread it out if possible.) If you are a little higher in deficite for a day or two but the rest of the week you are normal, I don't think it will be an issue. You mentioned 3K, you mean 3k for the whole weekend right? That's about 1500 a day, I can think of lots of ways to make up some of those calories without stuffing yourself, nuts for one, are very calorie dense and you can take them with you on your ride (like almonds), also bananas are similar in that respect.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have also been interested in this exact same question and whatever answers people have.

We have had a record snow year and the spring mountaineering is going to be good and long, followed by several months of great backpacking. I will most likely be burning between 2000 - 4000 cals per day (and when you are backpacking you don't want to carry that much food!) Can I make up the deficit 2 or 3 days later? Or do I just write it off and start fresh?

Thanks!
  • alyfin
    alyfin Posts: 103
    Options
    One of the main things with a calorie deficit is getting enough protien and carbs so your brain can function. Your brain has to have these, and simply breaking down fat does not provide it. So, when you get to low on protein and carbs your body actually tears down lean muscle instead of the fat you are trying to burn. And from my understanding your body does not go into starvation mode and store everything that you eat from only one or two days of deficit. If you get shaky or have intense headaches I would worry about it, but if you feel healthy then I wouldn't worry about eating 3000 extra cals. Or you could just eat 1/2 a cheesecake.:smile: