Can't lose weight

Options
I follow the calorie recommendations and work-out 3 times a week but no weight loss :-(

Replies

• barbieharops
    barbieharops Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel your despair. I am going through same. I don't gain but I attribute my not losing to being over 50.

Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. Pretty soon the scale will surprise us.
  • reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Well it looks like you just joined so give it a little time. You may also want to open your food diary so others may see what is happening with your food and exercise.
  • roadworthy
    Options
    Please take measurements too! If you normally weren't working out much you will probably see this as your body gains more muscle.
  • rhondacouch
    Options
    Don't be discouraged - if you are working out and losing fat but gaining muscle then its still a win! I recommend you measure a few places like your waist and hips - cause if you are losing inches that means its working! I heard taking leucine which is an amino acid in protein prevents muscle loss and keeps the metabolism up so your body will burn fat and not go into starvation mode which when you cut calories it may do. I guess that's what causes the yo-yo affect of dieting where you lose weight and then gain it plus more back when you go off the diet - it seems to make sense to me so that's what I'm doing. I just need to get myself motivated to do the work outs - so good for you for being so faithful in working out!!!1
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    You CAN lose weight, you just havent figured out the right way for you yet.
  • paundem
    Options
    Hi! I been logging for 56 days now. I was lossing weight quicky from Januaray 1 to last week I lost 12 pounds but know I'm stock, I don't see loss but I have gain a few grams. I'm not doing a lot of excercice because I have 2 little children and I don't have someone that can take care of them so I can joint to a gym. I want to get to my goal before doing some excercice. I have been keeping my calori intake the same... Is someone in the same position as I am? Will I losse weight soon??
  • gerrimckendree
    Options
    I lost 2 pounds and then I put it back on. I've been doing it about two weeks. It tells me a weight I am suppose to be at, but I guess I will keep trying and see what happen in five weeks.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I follow the calorie recommendations and work-out 3 times a week but no weight loss :-(

Try working out more than 3 days a week. People are supposed to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity a day. 3 days may not be sufficient to kick start your metabolism. Personally, I have to exercise at least 6 days a week because it's so difficult for me to lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Is your weekly goal appropriate for the amount you have to lose?
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Do you weigh all your solid food, and measure liquids?
    If not you are probably under estimating what you actually eat

How are you calculating calories burned?
    If you are not using a HRM you are probably over estimating the amount you burn

If you are using all the above properly and are not losing weight then you may want to have your thyroid checked or play with your BMR as MFP may have over estimated that for you (if you have less muscle then average your actual BMR will be lower than what MFP estimates)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    couple of things:
    1) I can't see your diary so I don't know the quality of your diet. There are different schools of thought on this, but for me it doesn't simply come down to base calorie count when I'm trying to lose weight but also having my macros properly set out and hitting my macros more often than not.
    2) I can't see your diary so i don't know how often you're meeting your caloric goals, exceeding them, or coming under them and by how much.
    3) I don't know if you're using a hrm or the database on here for your calorie burn calculations, but I've found that mfp's standard burns are much higher than mine.
    4) you've only just started on mfp, it can take much longer than that to really get a good sense of your progress.
    5) I can't see your diary so I don't know anything about your sodium or water consumptions
    6) there are variables to everyones life, lifestyle, and body. This is a nice start, but there is no set recipe for weighloss, even with baking you have to adjust the temperature for altitude.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Try and get your water in too...

Also, when I originally started last year, I wasn't fully committed and guessed on the lower end of calories. Now I'll input a little higher when I am unsure and try not to go over at all. When I hit a bit of a slump, I just don't eat back my exercise calories within reason. I've been on the right track since Jan. 3 and have lost 10 pounds... not too shabby!

We didn't put it on overnight, so unfortunately we can't take it off overnight either :(

Keep at it and you will start to see results.
  • PoochPottery
    Options

Is your weekly goal appropriate for the amount you have to lose?
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Do you weigh all your solid food, and measure liquids?
    If not you are probably under estimating what you actually eat

How are you calculating calories burned?
    If you are not using a HRM you are probably over estimating the amount you burn

If you are using all the above properly and are not losing weight then you may want to have your thyroid checked or play with your BMR as MFP may have over estimated that for you (if you have less muscle then average your actual BMR will be lower than what MFP estimates)

^^^^^This^^^^^^^^
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    couple of things:
    1) I can't see your diary so I don't know the quality of your diet. There are different schools of thought on this, but for me it doesn't simply come down to base calorie count when I'm trying to lose weight but also having my macros properly set out and hitting my macros more often than not.
    2) I can't see your diary so i don't know how often you're meeting your caloric goals, exceeding them, or coming under them and by how much.
    3) I don't know if you're using a hrm or the database on here for your calorie burn calculations, but I've found that mfp's standard burns are much higher than mine.
    4) you've only just started on mfp, it can take much longer than that to really get a good sense of your progress.
    5) I can't see your diary so I don't know anything about your sodium or water consumptions
    6) there are variables to everyones life, lifestyle, and body. This is a nice start, but there is no set recipe for weighloss, even with baking you have to adjust the temperature for altitude.

^^^^^^

1. Are you being consistent? Are you logging your food everyday?
    2. Are you being accurate? Are you weighing/measuring your food?
    3. Are you logging ALL foods and drinks?
    4. Are staying within your calorie goal at least 90% of the time?

If the answer to any of these questions is "no," then you need to take a few weeks and be more accurate and accountable for your foods. THEN, see what the scale says.

If you answered "yes" to all of the questions, then maybe you should open up you food diary so others can see it to offer advice. It's possible that you have too large of a calorie deficit, or too small of one. Without knowing things like your height, weight, and calorie goal, it's hard to know what advice to give.
  • jyotinaik
    jyotinaik Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Great suggestions. I recently joined MFP but I have been eating right and excercising for a while. I only recently heard about this app.
    I drink atleast 8 cups of water.green tea a day. I do heavy strength training 90 minutes twice a week and I hike up mountains atleast 5miles on weekends.
    I don't understand why doesn't this program credit any calories for strength training. I know I'm burning calories when my heart is racing and I'm breathing heavy. Yet it credits you for sit-ups and slow walking which don't even make me breathe heavy. Go figure.
    I am going to open my diary setting today.
    Thank you again