Calorie Deficit

Options
What should one aim for as a calorie deficit? Obviously there are a lot of variables, but what is a reasonable number to aim for to start SEEING a difference?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Mfp has a built in deficit. Pick between the .5-2lb per week loss
  • kgarman
    kgarman Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    About 500.
  • angelheart93
    Options
    Could someone help me with this 'Net Calries' thing? It's confusing.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    For me MFP was way too low. Go online and there are calculations for your TDEE on finding out your maintenance calories try cutting 15% or so off that. A 500 cut throws the body into shock...some loose, but then stall out and 1200 is just too low period.

Here is what I wrote on my profile page based on my experience and since have met soooo many more MFPals that are EATING to loose weight...

I spent about 8 months trying to loose the last 20lbs....eating from 1200, then went to 1350 and then 1500 and bounced up and down 3lbs...whined, cried, complained...you name it. Then one day, I read an excerpt from "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women" and it totally broke down why eating less and exercising more reeks havoc on our bodies...why I was then in starvation mode and wasn't loosing weight. So based on the information I raised my non-workout caloric intake to 1800 and on my workout days I eat a minimum of 2000 but have gone as high as 2500. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I don't track. It broke down why CARBS ARE IMPORTANT AND PROTEIN TOO...and I adopted the 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat ratios. I eat no less than 30gr of fiber a day. I always drink a protein shake after every workout.

I now lift way heavier, never feel hungry or deprived, I stopped carb binging, and what I have started doing is loosing fat, gaining muscle, have lost inches and the weight loss is pretty steady. So, I am a huge proponent of EATING MORE to WEIGH LESS.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    25% under your TDEE is a good starting point.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Could someone help me with this 'Net Calries' thing? It's confusing.

Net calories = whatever you eat that day (minus) however much extra you exercised

For example I plan to eat about 1900 today and plan to burn off about 500 through exercise, which means my net will be about 1400.
  • SmallerBecky
    Options
    For me MFP was way too low. Go online and there are calculations for your TDEE on finding out your maintenance calories try cutting 15% or so off that. A 500 cut throws the body into shock...some loose, but then stall out and 1200 is just too low period.

Here is what I wrote on my profile page based on my experience and since have met soooo many more MFPals that are EATING to loose weight...

I spent about 8 months trying to loose the last 20lbs....eating from 1200, then went to 1350 and then 1500 and bounced up and down 3lbs...whined, cried, complained...you name it. Then one day, I read an excerpt from "New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women" and it totally broke down why eating less and exercising more reeks havoc on our bodies...why I was then in starvation mode and wasn't loosing weight. So based on the information I raised my non-workout caloric intake to 1800 and on my workout days I eat a minimum of 2000 but have gone as high as 2500. I have one cheat day on the weekend where I don't track. It broke down why CARBS ARE IMPORTANT AND PROTEIN TOO...and I adopted the 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fat ratios. I eat no less than 30gr of fiber a day. I always drink a protein shake after every workout.

I now lift way heavier, never feel hungry or deprived, I stopped carb binging, and what I have started doing is loosing fat, gaining muscle, have lost inches and the weight loss is pretty steady. So, I am a huge proponent of EATING MORE to WEIGH LESS.

^^^This, this, this! YES!
  • dominique216
    dominique216 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ANewLucia, Can you tell me where to find the article you refer to in your post? I am at that place where I am losing motivation based on many long months of diligence and literally getting nowhere. I was doing weight watchers for quite awhile but have now switched to MFP. I like the system much better because it is far more seemingly intuitive but still my weight just stagnates. MFP suggests 1200 cal/day for me and I work out ~6-9 times/week. My workouts are mostly running (3 miles/time at ~10min/mile) and I skate roller derby for 4 hours/week, plus I have been doing a mixed resistance workout almost daily (30 minutes). I try to eat my extra calories from workouts and attempt to focus on protein but it ios challenging sometimes.. Regardless, I have only lost about 1 inch in my waist with no other area deficits and 1 pound in 8 months. Of course I flucuate between 3 ppounds but on my weekly weigh in it is always within 1 pound. I am terribly frustrated and dont know what to do. Also, I have been ovo-lact vegetarian for about 15 years. I appreciate your thoughts.:smile:
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    What should one aim for as a calorie deficit? Obviously there are a lot of variables, but what is a reasonable number to aim for to start SEEING a difference?

What exactly do you mean?

You will start seeing a difference when the weight comes off, but that could be weeks, months depending on what you weigh and how much you need to lose.

If you are relying on MFP, when you set your loss at 0.5, 1lb, 1.5, it calculates the deficit for you and the figure it gives you is what you need to achieve.

If you are getting figures from outside MFP and want to set the goal yourself to, go to Goals, and then you can change the target calories.

If you are setting it yourself, you deduct 250 from your TDEE for every half pound you wish to lose..