Need help getting back to the gym.

Options
Unfortunately, I have always been lazy. All my life. I would put off and putt off until the very last minute doing lots of things (unless I found it fun of course), and I don't find going to the gym fun.

I said I was going to go to the gym today because I haven't been for weeks now, but my motivation to go is not there anymore. I know once I get there, I will be fine, but the 'get up a go' has got up and gone...left me just wanting to stay in and do nothing but watch telly.

Is there anything I can do to help me get motivated? And I don't mean something like thinking about how good I will look in the long run by going to the gym or how good I will feel after I have been. That just doesn't work for me...

Or maybe I just need to get the motivation myself, like I did in December, by myself, it suddenly dawned on me to go to the gym. But who knows how long that will take...

Replies

• Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this helps or not... but one of my main reasons for going to the gym (besides to eventually look great) is so I can get some extra calories. I know that probably sounds horrible... but if I work out for an hour... I can eat something else or something tasty. Its one way to motivate me to go.
  • cesmith5
    Options
    hi - could you find a gym buddy? - perhaps the gym could help you do that or you could persuade a friend to go with you. Apart from that, I think you'd have to decide what you want more - toned body or the alternative. Sorry to be blunt but that's what gets me to the gym - i don't want to stay like this!
  • mindway69
    Options
    I'm in the same boat of being completely out of the routine of going to the gym, which makes getting BACK into the routine feel unsurmountable at times. Personally I am goal/deadline oriented, so I signed up for a race to train for. Now that I have a deadline it will help me because I "have to" train. I went last night for the first time in probably a month - only ran 1.5 miles, but hey, it's a start. Hope that helps!!