Once a month cooking?

Options
Has anyone tried once-a-month cooking?? I have to cook for my whole family plus my father-in-law who's diabetic. I'm trying to think of ways to get lots of meals prepared in advanced... but meals where I can control how healthy they are, instead of pre-packaged stuff. Any tips?

Replies

• pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I don't do this, but I love my crockpot for make ahead meals. I often get a big batch of something going on Sunday when I'm around and then have leftovers all week, or sometimes freeze meals for later.
  • waferzdog
    Options
    One of my issues is having too much food in the house. Even left overs are tempting. For me, cooking ahead is a really bad idea. I have no control of my evening eating.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that I make ahead of time for the week, but I could not cook for an entire month and then eat what is frozen and such.

I have to have fresh food that is freshly prepared. I don't even like leftovers so much anymore.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't pre-cook everything, but I do pre-cook things like brown rice and quinoa, and freeze them. When the time comes, I take out what I want, reheat. I have also made and frozen soup/stews, beans, pasta sauce, quiche, and my own pockets (think homemade, much healthier hotpockets). These all seem to freeze pretty well. My next project is to try making my own frozen burritos.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I'm DYING to try this. Just waiting for a decent deal to come up on chest freezers so that I have the room!

I've been preparing for when the time comes by researching different sites that have tasty/easy/delicious/healthy meals though.

http://chasingsupermom.com/2012/02/6-freezer-meals-in-2-hours/

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2011/12/fresh-food-friday-20-tried-and-true.html

With the limited freezer space I have now, all I'm able to do is make sweet potato casserole (potatoes sweetened with cinnamon and plumcots), lasagnas, and chilis (which are in my opinion, better after they've been reheated)

Best of luck! A food processor or super slicing device will probably make your prep day a lot easier too

Edited to add: I also chop up fruits and veggies and freeze them right away, along with rice and oatmeal concoctions.
  • mudar146
    mudar146 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A friend mine has just done this and she loves it! She is a single person so it worked well. I'm not sure about doing it for a whole family but she truely enjoys it and each meal is loaded with veggies. There are all sorts of books out there for it!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I am single and therefore can get really bored with food. I got a second freezer and cook for 4 or 6 at a time and go the pound shop to pick up containers that I can recycle. Then I can do large quantities of soup/stew/casserole/bolognaise etc and freeze half portions. That way the planning is just what to defrost. I usually decide the night before and then all I have to do is add the veg! Definitely makes my life easier and my diet much more varied. It also saves me money! And if I have people round I can defrost more!
  • jessica_johnson2011
    Options
    bump
  • KayLaul
    Options
    I do this every month! As for tips:

1. PLAN. Let me repeat that again: PLAN. I jot down a list of things that I think I want to eat that month, work out how many portions, and then match the food to a day in the month - it helps you to see if you've got loads of really similar kinds of meals planned (which, lets face it, gets a bit boring...) I also keep a list of everything that is in the freezer and tick it off as I use it.

2. Do make sure you have enough containers to put everything in. if you are anything like me, I look at a recipe which says 4 portions and invariably end up with five or six...

3. Give yourself time - and don't try to make everything at once, you'll just forget stuff. I usually 'write off' a weekend a month for this kind of thing for me, but a lot of that seems to be in order to do the washing up (I don't have a dishwasher!)

4. Make sure that you are fairly confident you are going to like the food that you have made - and I find that making lots of different things is better than 3 or 4 large batches, simply because I like a lot of variety in my food. It sounds stupid, but it took me a long time to realise that just because I was making stuff to freeze didn't mean I had to make enough to feed the five thousand!

5. Cornflour thickened stews/soups etc don't freeze, they separate. I lost a whole month worth of food because I didn't know this :(

6. Try not to add the last seasonings to the food (salt, pepper, etc) until you defrost it - you'll find out that you like different levels of seasonings depending on mood/time of month/phase of moon/how pissed at your boss you are/who the hell knows. There is nothing worse than sitting down and all you can think is 'yep, waaay too much salt. But this tasted fine last week!'.

hope that helps a bit! let me know if you've any questions - I've been doing this for years now, and am a pretty old hand at it :)
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CapsFan17
    Options
    I would if I had room in the freezer. My Aunt does this, and she loves it!
  • Beth429
    Beth429 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I pre-cook casseroles, ziti and roats. I pre-portion them and pop them in teh freezer! THey last about a week but I have had great success with quick meals that are healthy and delicious!
  • juliegin
    juliegin Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Chilis (lean ground beef or turkey, meatless, white chicken chili), Lasagnas, Soups, Stews, Stuffed Peppers, Spaghetti Sauce. I've done them all and they all last at least a month.

Let the lasagna defrost in the fridge at least a day ahead of time, so that it can reabsorb some of the liquid, otherwise it can end up watery.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I cook more than once a month because I enjoy it and don't have that much freezer space, but I do cook ahead a lot. Usually I'll at least bake some chicken breasts, which I slice and weigh into 3 oz portions, then put in snack-size ziplock bags and store in the freezer. I also make my own gluten-free breads and rolls - same deal most of it goes in the freezer. Brown rice leftovers get measured into ziplocks and go right in the freezer too. And I love to make my own veggie burgers and "veggie bake" combinations, usually mix of sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans, diced onions and other veggies, with various seasonings and sometimes a bit of BBQ sauce. Again, eat 1 or 2 meals worth and the rest is portioned out and stored in the freezer.

This keeps me from feeling like I have to eat more than I need for fear of it going to waste. And it makes for quick, easy, healthy meals throughout the week - no excuse for getting fast food on the way home from work ;-)
  • coastalangel
    Options
    Try this website on facebook... This woman is a legend in freezing foods! :-)

https://www.facebook.com/Coastalangel#!/FrostBiteFood
  • makaiya
    makaiya Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just printed out the list of things I'm making for the next 2 weeks' meals. Pinks Beans, Meatballs, Butternut Squash Soup, Lentil Stew, and Red Velvet Cupcakes (a practice run on a lighter recipe for my son's birthday). I don't have lots of freezer or fridge space, but I can usually get this stuff in there. Then it's great, my husband can "make" dinner without my, um, "supervision."
  • dobenjam
    dobenjam Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My wife did once a month cooking but it really evolved into once a week cooking. She would prepare some soups or meals and freeze them but we just didn't have the room for storing an entire month's worth of food. We still cook once a week for the most part but sometimes she will prepare most of the meal and cook something that night that only takes a few minutes.
  • amysmartin
    amysmartin Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! I love the tips. I'm such a major meal planner I think it may work out for us... next step is to pick up one of the cookbooks!
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My pro-tip - if you're making soups or even casseroles for one person, freeze them in zip-lock freezer bags (the ones that fully seal) instead of containers with lids. It's the perfect portion size for one person and you can fit HEAPS more in your freezer because they stack flat. Just put them in a bowl in the fridge when you're defrosting them because sometimes the bags leak during the defrosting stage.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My pro-tip - if you're making soups or even casseroles for one person, freeze them in zip-lock freezer bags (the ones that fully seal) instead of containers with lids. It's the perfect portion size for one person and you can fit HEAPS more in your freezer because they stack flat. Just put them in a bowl in the fridge when you're defrosting them because sometimes the bags leak during the defrosting stage.

What a great tip, thanks!