Blood

Options
what is your opinion if it is ok to exercise after giving blood? a do or a dont?

Replies

• shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I would say no. Giving blood is hard on your body, and it needs time to recover. Your iron levels will be low and your body is working overtime to make new blood. Give yourself a rest and let your body recuperate.
  • tripgrunt
    tripgrunt Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    i've always been told by nurses no strenuous activity for 48hrs because my body needs to rebuild what i've donated.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I would say either take a rest day or do only moderate activity.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Having donated both blood and platelets, I recommend taking at least 24 hours off. After a few days you should start to feel pretty much back to normal.
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    thanks all guess il be taking the day off then what a shame lol
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I take 24 hours off, but sometimes will feel sluggish in my workouts for 3 or 4 days.
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    yeah this was the first time that i gave blood where i was actually dizzy. i never get dizzy or anything so idk what is up with that this time.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    what a great thread - I give blood but hadn't thought of this. I normally take a multi vitamin with iron in it and lots of water for a few days after and avoided riding as I have low BP anyhow so was always worried of light headedness in the saddle.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Agree with the waiting. They do advise it. And I decided to test it myself, by going on an easy bike ride a couple hours after donating.

It wasn't pretty.

Quoth the Raven...
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Don't obviously.
    You just gave what? A pint of blood.
    Decrease in o2 due to lower haemoglobin....like they say, takes 24 hrs...
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    DON'T. DO IT. I made the mistake and almost passed out.