Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anyone have info on phentermine??

rbeglen
rbeglen Posts: 37
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently went to the doc and she prescribed me this med because I have so much weight to lose. Does anyone take this, or any medications similar to it?

Replies

• havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    If you have already lost weight on here, do you really want to take pills? I have a lot to lose as well but I am doing mine all through eating well and hard work. I don't think my doctor believes in pills becuase it was never even suggested. He does say now that my weight loss has been significant and told me to keep up the good work.

You may want to research some before you start taking them
  • rbeglen
    I am all about not taking supplements but they swear by them. I am not sure about taking them though because everything I have read says they interfere with Paxil. And I can't stop taking that!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    I have taken them before and was on an antidepressant. Just speak to your dr. But I used them before to give me a jump start. I didn't take them everyday only the days I was overly hungry(cycle days) but I didn't take them long because i didn't want to depend on them to lose weight.
  • DixieCup
    DixieCup Posts: 16
    Phentermine works as an appetite suppressant. I have taken phentermine before and had several problems with it. Read the side effects on the label (insomnia, migraines, constipation) and ask yourself if it is worth all of that to you, because it has happened to most people I know that have taken it. And the worse part...they all gained the weight back as soon as they stopped taking it because they had never changed their eating habits. Phentermine will not do anything for you that you cannot do for yourself with hard work and determination, and it messes with your bodies natural metabolism, making it harder to lose weight without the drug. Good luck.
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    totally agree! I took it after I had my second baby to help jump start my weight loss. It gives you energy and supresses hunger but it is not a permanent weight loss. I gained it all back and more. Now I eat 1500 cal. a day and exercise. I have lost 25 lbs in the last month. And I feel better and more determined. I KNOW I can do it on my own. Good luck!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I have also read that it is bad for your heart.............

I think someone here posted it.

That is what I don't like about mainstream medical doctors..............they are quick to prescribe a pill for anything and everything!!!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    I currently am taking phentermine. I took it years ago and it helped me lose weight. But I gained it back, but that wasn't the pills fault. It was my fault. I just got lazy and ate whatever I wanted. I am taking them now as an appetite suppresant and for a little extra energy. I will probably only be on them through July. As my doctors tell me, it's not the pill that's making me lose the weight, it's me, I'm doing it. The pill is just there as a reminder and I have to make myself do it on my own. I just needed a jump start and because I was always feeling hungry and tired. But now I am able to stay within my calories, have energy and not be hungry all the time. When I stop taking them, my body will be used to my new calorie intake so I should be fine. I sometimes skip a dose just to make sure I can do it.
    You DO need to take into consideration all of the side effects. My doctor checked my heart and blood work before putting me on them.
    Good luck in which ever way you choose to go!

Memaw
  • jenzimmer
    jenzimmer Posts: 300 Member
    Very bad for your heart. I took it about 4 years ago, and now I have PAC's which the Dr. said is from taking it. If I would have know that, I would have not taken it. Messing with your heart is so not worth it!
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Very bad for your heart. I took it about 4 years ago, and now I have PAC's which the Dr. said is from taking it. If I would have know that, I would have not taken it. Messing with your heart is so not worth it!

No, any medication that messes with your organs is not worth it!!!
  • rbeglen

Hi,

I was just wondering what is PAC's??
  • beckyi88
    beckyi88 Posts: 604
    They were a great boost and jumpstart for me. I was happy with my results and would take them again if needed.
This discussion has been closed.