how do u get up n go in the am???

Options
im a nite owl and hope to get in my workouts in the am before i go to work at 2pm...how do u get up n get ready n awake to workout....i can barely function before ive had a shower...and never am im usually out of bed before 9.....(but obviously i dont want to shower before my workout...)...any suggestions & or tips to changing my time of workout....??? anyone done the same?...(i know just do it) but any help greatly appreciated...i think even if i got up early i dont think i could even know what i was doing till 9am....i just know after i get out of work i dont usually want to work out when i get home at 930pm....but i want to make sure i get a workout in at least 5 days a week...HELP.....(ps. i do have a child...and which he sleeps till 9am so thats great but just dont want to feel rushed if i have many other things to do before i got to work...) thank you in advance!

Replies

• Fubar_Bill
    Fubar_Bill Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I was definitely a night owl too, but you can adjust.

This morning I was yawning all the way to the gym, but once I got on the elliptical I was right back into it.

Trust me, the workout will help you wake up.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.. I really want to workout early in the morning before work.. but I rarely do. My only advice would be is to go to bed earlier :)
  • VoodooLuLu
    VoodooLuLu Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    i have 2 toddlers i have 2 be awake early... i work out in the afternoon while they r napping
  • LisaMom2Lucas
    Options
    I have 3 kids and work 2 jobs and I have no choice but to not get a lot of sleep. (5-6 hours a night usually)

How do I get up and go? Caffeine, period end of story!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Have a kid. 7.30am is a lie in haha
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    im a nite owl and hope to get in my workouts in the am before i go to work at 2pm...how do u get up n get ready n awake to workout....i can barely function before ive had a shower...and never am im usually out of bed before 9.....(but obviously i dont want to shower before my workout...)...any suggestions & or tips to changing my time of workout....??? anyone done the same?...(i know just do it) but any help greatly appreciated...i think even if i got up early i dont think i could even know what i was doing till 9am....i just know after i get out of work i dont usually want to work out when i get home at 930pm....but i want to make sure i get a workout in at least 5 days a week...HELP

I am not a morning training sort of person at all. Unfortunately, my job is shifts and if I am starting work at, say, 2pm, it will be too late to workout when I get home, therefore I have no choice but to train before I go to work, which means mornings. Ironically, those sessions always go well, but it isn't my first choice to train at those times that's for sure.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    You wake up around 9...you have to be at work at 2. Presuming your commute isn't an hour, you have a boatload of time to get a workout in. You don't need to be at it for hours. If you were up at 9:30, dressed and gone by 10, you could be at the gym, workout, done and in the car by 11:30. Home, shower, ready and leave by 1. And that's leaving massive gaps like you live in the country and have a serious drive to get to anywhere.
  • Beth429
    Beth429 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you better advice... You are on a different schedule then I am... I have to go bed early or I can't get up early. I am in bed between 10 and 11 each night and get up at 5 am to hit the gym. This has been my schedule since mid september! It takes about 2 weeks to adjust but now it comes just as natural as breathing. Force yourself to commin to a time and you'll notice a change and more energy in the morning in about 2-3 weeks!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    If you really want to make workouts a part of your routine, you'll just start doing it and making it happen. That may mean you make sacrifices in other areas of your life (such as going to bed earlier).. but there's no magic formula to making workouts fit in your lifestyle once you decide to do it.

Good luck!
  • Snofleik
    Options
    Maybe try drinking a TON of water before going to bed? That usually forces me awake. Once you're up and out of bed, wash your face with only cold water. It's usually uncomfortable, but it helps me wake up when I don't really want to :o)
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 a.m. Monday-Friday to be at the gym by 5:00 a.m. The only way I can do it is by going to bed early. I'm usually asleep by 9:00 p.m. If I didn't go in the morning though, I probably wouldn't go at all. All I want to do when I get off work is go home.
  • JennATC
    Options
    I have my workout clothes ready to go. I roll out of bed, get dressed and start working out before I can change my mind. Sometimes I am yawning at the beginning, but you get into after a few minutes.
  • johnsonje82
    johnsonje82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I double-tap the gym; once before work and once after it. I was NEVER a morning person until recently. I may be half awake going to the gym but once I get there it's all good.

My advice, make sure you EAT something on the way. Get in some orange juice and a light breakfast. Something to get your body awake and going. NO ENERGY DRINKS.
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I readjusted myself two weeks prior to when I started actually getting up and working out. I set a very annoying alarm clock in the hall way so I had to get up and turn it off.

I set it for just 15 minutes earlier than normal and slowly added to it.

I also started nightly rituals to slow me down. I started going to bed and reading a very boring book. Each night i would go to bed just a bit earlier.

Now I get up and go to bed with no real issues!
  • xbjx
    xbjx Posts: 1
    Options
    I find it hard to get up in the mornings too... Obvioulsy trying to get an early night helps but sometimes, even after a good 9/10hours I can't bring myself to get out of bed and go to the gym before class... I just want to hit the snooze button....

I've started doing a few things...

Getting up a half hour earlier to allow myself time to have a light breakfast, a cup of tea and watch some telly to wake myself up before going to the gym....

I find it easier to get up when I know I have plenty of time to relax and have something nice to eat rather than getting up and rushing out the door to the gym....

I find putting some upbeat music on helps me wake up and get energetic too!

Also, I find it hard to motivate myself to workout in the evenings too but I go to a yoga class or zumba class with a friend some evenings, she helps motivate me to go and I always feel great afterwards....
  • garyobesedeleted
    garyobesedeleted Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i struggle with mornings, i get every last drop of sleep and then get up, but once im up im up, dont need coffee or anything, its just getting up thats the hard bit.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    cocaine.PNG
  • LolaGotThin
    LolaGotThin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was a huge night owl. Sometimes, I still am. But honestly, you just have to DO it. I started waking up earlier, even when I was tired, and just got through the day. I can get to sleep earlier now and wake up earlier and I feel a lot better, less lethargic.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I have the same troubles, working second or split shift. Currently I work 11am-9pm. If I get up too early, I can't get enough sleep, but it's hard to make yourself sleep so soon right after getting done with work. When I'm working a true second of 2p-midnight, I can get up and workout before work...usually without trouble. Just have to not hit snooze when the alarm goes off :)
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    You wake up around 9...you have to be at work at 2. Presuming your commute isn't an hour, you have a boatload of time to get a workout in. You don't need to be at it for hours. If you were up at 9:30, dressed and gone by 10, you could be at the gym, workout, done and in the car by 11:30. Home, shower, ready and leave by 1. And that's leaving massive gaps like you live in the country and have a serious drive to get to anywhere.
    Make it your daily routine - when I worked evenings I used to get up about 8 after my flatmate left for work, take an hour for breakfast and a coffee then rush out the door for water-aerobics (it had a set start time I had to make). After that, I had a couple of hours of relax time at home then got ready for work (3pm till 11.30pm).