Left hip pain from running......

Options
2 weeks ago I ran 8 miles (I have done that before.. up to 11 miles) and half way through I started feeling a little pain in my left hip... but I ran through it because it wasn't debilitating... then after my run it killed... took it easy for 2 weeks not doing a lot of running just on treadmill would do a mile and then walk... or do elliptical... well now 2 weeks later I thought I would give it a try again ran outside 1 mile and it started bothering me again so I just decided to walk and it hurt doing that as well.. it hurts on the elliptical it hurts when I walk.. when I sit for a while then stand up it hurts. Its on the outside of my left hip.. if I stand up and bend my right hand to my right foot down my side that hurts bad. Anyone experience this before.. should I see my Dr. or is it just muscle pain? Should I go run through it next time? I have my first half marathon here in end of April and I am getting nervous.....HELP!

Replies

• kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I bet if you saw a chiropractor they would get you fixed up! I always use to complain about "butt" or hip pain (usually just one side) after longer runs and I didn't know what was up. I started doing hip adductor and abductor strength exercises at the gym and that helped too, but mostly, going to see a chiro has made all the difference! =) good luck and I hope you feel better
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If it's on the outside of your hip it could be several things. Does the pain travel down to your knee? Is it a stabbing pain, an aching pain, a traveling pain? Is it anywhere near the front or back of your hip or is it strictly down the side?
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Something similar happenedd to me...google "piriformis stretch" and try out some of those stretches. they worked wonders for me.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Could be some tendonitis that got irritated. That's what happened to me, and every so often my right hips bothers me. But taking fish oil and doing yoga has helped a LOT with the pain. Then there is the slight possibility of bursitis as well, but you'd need to see a doctor to find out if that's what's going on.
  • incendia3
    incendia3 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing after longer runs sometimes. It feels like a joint issue. I found that adding a supplement with glucosamine helped reduce the pain.
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    sounds like hip flexor problems...

http://www.hipflexorpain.net/
  • CMDCMstr3
    CMDCMstr3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. It was not excruciating while exercising but after I rested a while and got up and moved, then that's when it really hurt. In the last week or so I did several things that I think helped. I do all my cardio on a treadmill. I made sure it was level. It was not. It was dipping to the left a little so I made some adjustments. I bought a new pair of running shoes as well. I've mixed my cardio up with 45 minutes of running/walking utilizing interval training and the pain has subsided about 85%. The pain is almost gone!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I would definitely see a doc -- probably an orthopedist. I fractured my heel training for a 1/2 marathon last summer, and didn't really know that an actual fracture was causing my pain until 2 weeks later.

You need to know what's really going on in there so you know how to fix it, and fix it for GOOD. You don't want to keep nursing it at home and then find out you have an injury that needed some attention or therapy to heal it — I know people who have ended up with chronic issues with ankles, knees or hips this way.

I took my time healing from the fracture, and did everything my ortho told me to do (I was in a boot for 6 weeks, and then no running for at least 6 more), and now I am back doing everything I did before with NO PAIN. Injuries take the right diagnosis, some treatment, and patience....you don't want to be dealing with pain for longer than you have to.

And get a 2nd opinion, too. A podiatrist who looked at me first told me I could still run my 1/2 marathon, I just might be in a lot of pain. If I had followed his advice, I'm sure I'd still be dealing with that injury today.

P.S. A good doc will also tell you if he thinks you can fix your issue with stretching, new shoes, a different running style, or if you would benefit from a chiropractor or physical therapist.

Good luck!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Well, good luck figuring this out! Seriously. I have been trying to find out whatis causing my hip pain is for a month. Doc, x-rays and PT but still the same. They said hip pain is hard to figure out. I hope you have more luck than I am.
    Deb
  • riksterqt
    Options
    I have that same thing. My right glute is not as strong as my left - so it ends up pulling my right hip up. I lay flat on my back, put my left leg up so my quad is straight up and my knee is bent at a 90 degree angle. Then I stretch my right leg out - going through the same position as my left leg but all the way down to the ground and back up - over and over. It moves my hip back into place and I feel much better for the rest of the day. Have to do it often - along with exercises to strengthen the right glute. Hope that helps!
  • abbiecat
    Options
    Hi, I found my knee and hip took a bit of a battering from high impact exercise like running and certain aerobics classes. I put it down to being a bit heavy and therefore putting too much stress on my joints! (It wasn't a big deal to me, I just switched to low impact stuff like zumba and spinning). But as you've got a half marathon coming up and you're clearly training a fair bit I'd suggest checking it out with a sports physio, just in case. Good Luck!
  • ashleymashley02
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.. its runs just the length of my hip not down to my knee on the outside of the hip only on the outside.. its kinda sharp like i said when I bend down on the right side it hurts... and when I walk kinda hurts...
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    If it's strictly in your hip area and doesn't run down the length of your leg and it's only on the outside it sounds like it is your gluteus medius and/or your tensor fascia latae (your hip abductors - those muscles that bring your leg away from your body). You need to strengthen those muscles. I would also suggest a foam roller or a roller stick. Put the foam roller on the floor, put your hip on the roller and roll up and down on it. You can also have your significant other massage it for you. I'm just getting over some TFL pain myself. I spent a lot of time massaging it out. Good luck and hope your pain goes away.
  • falsecho
    falsecho Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I changed my shoes and within weeks the pain was gone.
  • Wakara101
    Wakara101 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    it could be a number of things and i am no doctor. but i experince left hip and left knee pain and they put my leg though a range of motion and told me to go see a physical therapist due to a tight IT band. so maybe it's that and use a foam roller on it, look up good streches for tight IT band and do hip abductor and adductors to strengthen those hip muscles.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Runners frequently have weak hips, glutes, etc which cause knee or hip pain. Work on stretching and strengthening exercises to strengthen your hips, glutes, do hip flexor stretches, yoga, and specific things to target your hips. What the PT told me, if it is some type of bursitis or tendonitis, the longer you let it go untreated the worse the damage and the longer it is to heal.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    get it check out. Sounds like a hip abductor...search stretches that will help. The main stretch will be the runner's stretch. Do it 3 or 4 times a day.
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I bet if you saw a chiropractor they would get you fixed up! I always use to complain about "butt" or hip pain (usually just one side) after longer runs and I didn't know what was up. I started doing hip adductor and abductor strength exercises at the gym and that helped too, but mostly, going to see a chiro has made all the difference! =) good luck and I hope you feel better

^^ this

I was having numbness issues in one leg and pain in the knee on the other. Turns out I have one leg shorter than the other. That can cause hip pain too, as can being out of alignment. After one adjustment I feel great, and with a lift in my shoe no knee pain. Can't wait to go back next week!