Lent & No Meat on Fridays

Options
LauraMacNCheese
LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
Ok...so Lent begins tomorrow. So for me, that means no meat tomorrow (Ash Wednesday) and no meat on Fridays. I am not a huge seafood person. What should I eat that's still reasonably healthy??

Replies

• Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    how about a frittata? You can do so much with it--put in cheese and/or various veggies and even pasta or rice! great wat to use leftovers, too.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    tofu, beans, legumes, ... stay away from things that have fillers in them. eat clean is best. even the patties have some fillers that will sit in your gut. have salad with tuna in water... or fresh fish steamed with herbs and spices.
  • sinistertitan
    sinistertitan Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I didn't think there was such a thing as a meal without meat. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    there are tons of veggie meals out there on the internet. emilybites.com is my new favorite right now
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Im with you on lent , fortunately I love fish so its not terrible, but i would say eggs, obviously would have to mix it up how you prepare them but an omlette for dinner works for me .. beyond that try non fishy fish - Marlin, sword, mako..
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Beer does not contain meat. Drink up!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    I didn't think there was such a thing as a meal without meat. Best of luck to you! :flowerforyou:

That was only slightly less than helpful, LOL! :tongue:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I always feel a little left out being a vegetarian now pescatarian.

so its not big deal for me, I just like that I can go get a fish sandwich now anyplace I want.

going to bounce off your topic.
  • Lizabee84
    Lizabee84 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a seafood gumbo for tom....but i like to bake fish sometimes during lent, throw seafood in a pasta dish
  • akhamaker
    Options
    I'm planning on a lot of "breakfasts for lunch/dinner." Ezekiel Bread with nut butters, kashi cereal, eggs. Also, I make pizza with flatout, olive oil, and low-fat mozzarella. Usually I use turkey pepperoni, but through lent I'll use veggies. 10 minutes or so under the broiler and it's so yummy. That will be my Friday dinner staple....right around 250-300 calories.
  • rachelrae215
    Options
    some ideas:

black beans and rice burritos

whole wheat pasta with pesto or a primavera sauce

veggies and hummus

stir fry with tofu

veggie burgers

vegetarian chili

grilled cheese and tomato soup

or they sell meatless crumbles in frozen section of grocery store that cook up exactly the same as ground beef
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian Times website is amazing (and most of their recipes that I've tried have been great.) Cooking Light also has some great vegetarian recipes. I'm a huge fan of the Moosewood cookbooks (a nonweb source), and also love "crockpot 365" blog (and she's published vegetarian recipes there.)
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Definately NOT a fish fry. I'm from Buffalo (ppl go out weekly for these), and they can easily end up in the 1500-2000 calorie mark. So sad when I found this out...:sad:
  • barbstate12
    Options
    I don't know if you like Boca Burgers..but they are great...Also if you like salmon croquette that could be a good breakfast, lunch, or dinner..it's fried but it's not meat..lol..
  • barbstate12
    Options
    @ezak86....wow so you have lost 85lbs!!! that is awesome...tell me your secret...I am in desperate need..lol
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    not being a Catholic, I've always enjoyed going someplace and ordering roast beef, hamburgers or steak on Fridays and eating it in the restaurant as close to some fish-eaters as I can! :wink: :devil::laugh:
    Preach it, sister!
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I think I will give up Lent for Lent this year
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    not being a Catholic, I've always enjoyed going someplace and ordering roast beef, hamburgers or steak on Fridays and eating it in the restaurant as close to some fish-eaters as I can! :wink: :devil::laugh:
    Preach it, sister!

Bynsky you are awesome!