"You can't have that! You're on a Diet!" or

Options
Tenoreo90
Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
*looks at what I'm eating* "Huh. Thought you were trying to lose weight."

Everything in moderation! Lifestyle change! NOT A DIET!!! WHEN will people understand what that all means? I work with mostly women (hospital job) and I'm SO SICK of my food being judged constantly. Everytime I eat a piece of chocolate or a bit of crispy chicken I have to remind them, "I don't eat this every day, I counteract it with healthy eating the rest of the day, I work out, I made this in a healthy way, etc. etc." I even tried to be sneaky this time and not tell anyone I was trying to lose weight. It's like they just KNOW.

*rant over*

Replies

• cekeys
    cekeys Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I-Know-That-Feel-Bro_d4ab9b42c5fca7dc2dc1bdb85c41e76a.jpg
  • DanceForever904
    DanceForever904 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    i go through this all the time but with my family members!!!! so frustrating!!! (((hugs)))
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    i go through this all the time but with my family members!!!! so frustrating!!! (((hugs)))
    me too
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Or they say," Here, you can just eat one it wont hurt you." When they know you cant stop at just one!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I usually say. "watch me"... ;-)
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Being that you have lost weight, just look them in the eye and say " I HAVE lost weight. What are you trying to say?"

The reality is, anyone that says something like that obviously thinks you have to suffer to be healthy and that's just sad for them.
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    That's why it's usually better NOT to broadcast that you are working on a health/fitness project. Only confide in those people you can trust to be positive and supportive. Anyone who is not onboard with the project will be negative and ready to jump on every little thing they see as a flaw, not knowing all the details.......and then there are also those that know-it-all and will give you endless advice while they sit there eating their Twinkies and diet soda.....

My usual answer to someone who shoves a piece of cake in front of me that I really don't want to eat .... "Oh my gosh, I'm so allergic to that I will blow up like a balloon!" They usually retreat quite quickly and apologetically and it's easier than telling someone I'm on a diet which then also cuts out that just-one-bite back argument ......
  • MandyMarie01
    MandyMarie01 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    understand that completely
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone , unless I'm living with them or are really close with them that I'm trying to lose weight .
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I've been quite lucky, my close work colleagues are pretty supportive. They won't push me to take a biscuit or bit cake or anything. My family on the other hand are a bit harder to handle. I had to ask my mam to stop cooking for me because I just didn't know what was going into my food every day. They're not so bad now though
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Luckily not many people know I'm trying to lose weight and those that do are supportive. The people that say things like that are the same people who seem to think you need to starve yourself or go on fad diets in order to lose weight successfully.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Ignore them. Probably old bitter nurses that are overweight.
  • robie11
    Options
    I hear ya on that comment. I have been trying for the past year to follow Weight Watchers, wrote all food down on diary for the first few months going back to Feb 2011 to date only lost 13lbs, put on 3lbs over Xmas Holidays. So only down 10, I just joined this today as my son advised me it would be a good idea. I am at a stall mate. At work I eat every few hours health food and still get told are you 'eating again'. I don't have to explain myself to everyone but I do say I am eating cottage cheese and yogurt or whatever it is. Why is their business anyways.

Thanks for listening:laugh:
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    That's why it's usually better NOT to broadcast that you are working on a health/fitness project. Only confide in those people you can trust to be positive and supportive. Anyone who is not onboard with the project will be negative and ready to jump on every little thing they see as a flaw, not knowing all the details.......and then there are also those that know-it-all and will give you endless advice while they sit there eating their Twinkies and diet soda.....

My usual answer to someone who shoves a piece of cake in front of me that I really don't want to eat .... "Oh my gosh, I'm so allergic to that I will blow up like a balloon!" They usually retreat quite quickly and apologetically and it's easier than telling someone I'm on a diet which then also cuts out that just-one-bite back argument ......

thats kinda what I do.
    First, as a guy.. you're never on a diet. lol.
    second... I probably dont want to talk to them about it anyway.

Plus most people dont understand the concepts of nutrition... for example for my macros today, its going to be better for me to have that giant steak then that little fried chicken sandwich on a giant bun... but ooh the crap i would get if I told people I was eating steak for health and not the "healthy" chicken... lol.

my personal nutrition decisions are personal.
  • flopsy1973
    Options
    I know what you mean. I still have things like chocolate but whereas before i would eat the whole bar i now only have a chunk or two. We're even having a takeaway tonight and cake for my birthday but my daughter (who is on here) and i will share a meal not have one each. On the whole i don't care what people say about my diet. I know i'm looking much better than i did. If we want a treat why shouldn't we x
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I just make a point of eating chips and chocolate around them, then watch them marvel as I continue to lose the pounds.
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I just make a point of eating chips and chocolate around them, then watch them marvel as I continue to lose the pounds.

This made me LOL-especially seeing how much you've lost!!