Help?!?! BMR?

Options
I'm a newbie. Am I supposed to eat the same amount of calories as my BMR? My BMR is 1.415, but my daily goal for calorie consumption is 1,200. Also, what is my net supposed to be? I'm sorry if this sounds silly, but I'm trying to get the hang of this.

Thanks in advance!

-Tara

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Your profile indicates that you want to lose 15lbs. With a BMR of 1415 and calorie goal of 1200, that's a 215 calorie deficit.

In general, it takes a cumulative deficit of 3500 calories to lose a pound, so you're likely to lose ~1/2 lb per week or so (rounding up).

Eat all of your calories, and give serious thought to eating back your exercise calories. So if you exercise to burn 300, you eat an extra 300 that day.
  • taracote3
    taracote3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So how to I make a higher deficit?
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of discussion on the boards that eating less than than 1200 cal/day is a bad idea. I'm neither a dietician nor trainer, but losing slowly is more likely to keep it off.
  • biochick2004
    Options
    So how to I make a higher deficit?

You can do extra cardio to burn more calories off, but NEVER cut your calories lower than 1200. You'll trash your metabolism that way, and end up having more and more trouble keeping the weight off.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    To change your target calories go to the home page and select goals and choose the custom option. Also, your BMR is your base level, the number of calories you need to maintain basic bodily function even if you don't move at all, not the calories your burn per day (your maintenance calories). You may have chosen a weight loss goal that is too aggressive given how little you're trying to lose. Aim for 1/2 pound a week instead and see what that gives you. A 15-20% decrease from your maintenance calories is a reasonable target.