To do or not to do half marathon.....

Options
So....I was signed up with a friend to do a split half marathon in a week from sunday. My friend got sick and has not trained so she decided to skip it. I can either not do it, or do the entire 13 miles. I have done 2 half marathons in the past BUT had a baby in Nov so I just started running again. The most I have run is 8 miles thus far. Should I do it or not? I dont want to be dumb and push it since I am 25 lbs more than I normally weight. But, I also don't want to be afraid to and miss out on a huge goal!!! Please share any feedback . Thank you!

Replies

• elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    Tough call...rather than running the entire thing maybe you could do walk/run intervals instead. How do you feel after your 8 miles?
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Probably might want to ask a doctor. If you're still in baby recovery, I would not say this is a good idea.
  • Mikespook
    Options
    Do it! Try a run/walk method. This may actually get you to the finish line faster than if you tried to run the entire thing and hit a wall at mile 10. Just don't start out with unrealistic expectations and you will be fine. Make your goal just to finish it. You've done it before and you can do it again! Good luck!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Ohhh ... that would be a no brainer for me ... I'd do it. I often here my daddy's voice in the back of my mind when I've not trained properly for a half marathon.

He'd say, "Walkin' ain't crowded." He was a very wise man.

Go. Have fun. Run when you can. Walk when you need to. I've never met anyone who regretted doing an event. You've got nothing to lose.
  • madotrl
    Options
    Go for it sometimes the excitment in the crowd helps you go a little farther than you have trained for. I agree with others you could do a run walk routine. Dont let your training go to waste:-) and especially if you cant get your money back.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Run 9-10 miles this weekend and you'll be all set to muscle through on race day. Don't plan to PR, just go out and have fun.
  • trigrrl
    trigrrl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    go and have fun, shake your tail feathers, high five kids in the crowd, run, walk, dance
    i had a very similar thing happen to me and i am so glad i did it instead of sitting on the sidelines
    i even did better then i thought i would

as my sister tells me ( an she's a multi marathon chick, trainer, coach, ironman finisher, nurse guru)
    its better to show up 10 % under prepared then 10 % over trained
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    you got this :)
  • zoeco33
    zoeco33 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how thankful I am for all of you ! I am going to give it my best!!!!
  • taylor0204
    taylor0204 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the journey.