Protein powder for women?

Options
Sorry if this isn't in the right spot, but I really have no idea where to start! I've done a little reading and figure I might want to try protein shakes before work outs. Any recommendations?

Replies

• AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition french vanilla creme whey protein. I bought it off of amazon.com. I like it as long as I mix it with something besides plain water. I also add 1Tb peanut butter, 1/2 frozen banana, and unsweetened cocoa powder sometimes too and that is delicious! Or there are a variety of other things that you can add too. The pb, banana, cocoa shake is like dessert for me.
  • cPT_Helice
    Options
    I would recommend taking it after intense workouts and make sure it's a good protein powder and you are not just putting garbage into your body for the sake of a protein boost. It would be better if you told us what your workout schedule is.
  • jmaffett
    Options
    I wouldn't use protein powder before a workout unless I was doing a heavy duty weight training routine. If you are, then try different ones before purchasing a huge jug of powder. I bought one from a women's gym I used to attend and it was pretty good - plus could be mixed with water. I find the EAS and Myoplex are too thick so I won't drink them.

You could also try the pre-mixed drinks to see if you like those.

My former trainer said it was more important to have liquid protein within 20 minute AFTER a heavy workout, rather than before. You may want to do some reading before taking in those extra calories :wink:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I use Nectar. Sugar free. Comes in the standard choc, vanilla and strawberry but also fruitie flavors (think crystal light) and coffee. I like the taste and the variety.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in an empty jar and take it to the gym with me, so that I can mix it with cool water from the cooler and drink it after my workout. SOmetimes (often, really) I put in a spoon or two (a partial serving) of powdered skim milk as well.
  • jelybean43
    jelybean43 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just started using protein powder. I found that helps me not to binge eat in the evenings. I like to use it after a good work out. I bought the Nectar brand in chocolate. It's pretty good mixed with water and a few ice cubes. Almost like a watered down chocolate smoothie.
  • schmidtka70
    Options
    I like drinking a protein shake within 30 minutes of waking up to "kick start" my metabolism. Keeps me satisfied for a few hours when I actually have breakfast. I use EAS Whey Vanilla, mixes well, lower carbs and sugar, 150 calories and 26 protein per serving. Fairly inexpensive and I can get it in my grocery store and Sams Club.
  • bristyx
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone! Haha I guess I need to do a bit more reading.
  • hklaquadra
    Options
    I prefer an unflavored no-artifical sweetener protein powder, I like it as natural as possible. I use GNC 100% whey protein powder. Most of the time, I just put a few ice cubes in a drink bottle, plain water and a scoop of powder. I don't have a sweet tooth so that works best for me. But the beauty of an unflavored, unsweetened powder is you can add it to so many things included mashed cauliflower with garlic(my potato replacement).
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    FYI -- GREAT ALTERNATIVE TO WHEY PROTEIN POWDER. I know you said powder.. but i found at walmart theses Protein shots. I think the name is New Whey Protein Vial. Comes in Grape,Watermelon, Fruitpunch and Acai. Would def recommend these.. Each vial contains 42g protein. Perfect for after workout and they taste good. They are about $2.50 per vial but I still think its worth it. Quick, easy alternative to the normal whey powder. Pure protein also puts out a Fruit punch Vial which is also good but it only contains 26g protein. 6pk for $10.also at walmart.